Form > Function S30

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about putting this on hold for a couple months. I can finish up my s13 in a few weeks and daily it until it starts warming up again. The s30 just won't start in the cold. It was 17* when I tried to leave for work this morning and it wouldn't start at all.

Any reccomendations for getting it to start in the cold? I know some of you west coast guys daily s30's in the cold

You mean your intentionally not running it? I would say thats the issue then, its def needed for cold starts. Either hook it back up or carry a can of starter fluid is my advice. 
Is the cold start valve non operational as well?

Well that was easy lol

I was having this problem in my Dime the last couple days. I had the car sitting for a couple weeks and then with the temperature I couldn't start it. I think my big issue was a flooded carb and with the temp, none of the gas was evaporating so it just stayed flooded. I had to unscrew the deadeye on the carb drain out the gas. I also had a freshly recharged battery since I drained it trying to turn it over so many times.

This really doesn't help you since you're injected, but I feel your pain. I hope you can power through it.

I asked because the carb has a float and valve so that once the bowl is full no more fuel can enter. Generally engines get flooded, because the carb is dumping un-burnt gas into the cylinders. The carb itself being flooded without there being a problem with the carb doesnt make much sense to me.

The carb is known bad-ish as it doesnt like to run right... I just havent the time to tear it apart and rebuild it. I think things just finally caught up with it since it was freezing weather here and it had been sitting for a few weeks. This is one reason Ive been wanted to switch to the ZX9r carbs, but have to finish up the manifold I have first. 

I would def check the float/needle valve and fuel pressure. Issues there would also cause poor running condition. 

You should check the fuel pressure before you attempt the ZX9r's anyway. 

• Like 1

I haven't ran a cold start injector since '09 and haven't had a problem until now. I richened the fuel mixture a little, retarded the timing a bit, fixed my coolant leak and actually put antifreeze in it, and raised the idle a tad. Seems to be starting better now, I'm going to put a ZX starter on it and see how much that helps too. I have a motorset from an '82 sitting in the garage so I'll just swap starters. 

I've had a nasty coolant leak from my heater core connection at the firewall for a long time, I've just been putting water in every couple days but it's getting too cold for that now, so I unclogged the heater core and put antifreeze in it. Checked periodically throughout the day to see if it was leaking and it's not yet. I'm about to get some Altima or Maxima electric fans and put a 180* thermostat back in it, with the 160*, clutch fan, and bigger radiator it won't get over 130* and my heater doesn't blow hot enough. I also need to pull the dash and fix the ducting because it only blows on my feet haha. I'll probably pull it in the garage and do that once I get the s13 out of there.

7AE99C87-E7B7-49E0-ABD8-3D650CC943CE-108

Little update on all my other projects: I picked up an automatic KA24de motorset up out of a granny owned S13 with only 105k on it, put a 5 speed and new clutch on it and stuck it in my s13. Picked up a tranny mount and driveshaft at the salvage yard and got it all bolted up. Idk if I posted about it before but I got a set of coilovers for $100 a few weeks ago and put them on there too, so it's coming along quite nicely. Engine bay is painted and the car is primered, waiting to paint it until the whole car is done. I started running the wiring harness today, kind of a pain since it has a partial tube front.

0ED8D578-FB54-4F6C-B101-7B2EDDEDB3A8-108

8881C09B-09D7-43EE-8908-29DC622D68D1-108

It's unbelievable how much work this s13 is turning out to be, I basically had to take it to a bare shell and rebuild it from the ground up. It's coming along though, should be running and ready to sell in a couple weeks, and I don't have a whole lot of money into it. Just a ton of hours of work.

I traded a battery for this single VS-KF last week, it's a 19x10, a rare discontinued $500 Work wheel, and I was planning on making a coffee table out of it until I test fit it on the FC. Going to look around for another one now, it should look dope with the right aero.

AF36492B-9269-4C69-96DB-A18E296C8741-870

Also picked up another white JDM steering wheel and stuck it in the FC. Going to have to get a quick release since it sits too far away from me but it feels good.

63FB1522-E08B-4120-AAC3-A919CCAE5335-266

Can't wait to finish some of this stuff up! I'm ready to start sliding again. 

I really want to take it to Cars and Coffee Dallas before too long! We should meet up there

Well, I went outside this morning and had a nice little puddle of coolant under the car. Guess I didn't fix the leak well enough. It was too dark and my block was too dirty to see where it was coming from, but it's either from a heater core hose or the headgasket. I know I've needed a headgasket for a long time now, so I'm probably going to have to replace that whenever I pull it in the garage to do the new coils and brakes and stuff. 

The frame rails still exist, but are pretty smashed up. I'll probably weld in new rails as soon as I get a new welder.

I was just thinking about that decal the other day, funny that you'd mention it. I have to get some other decals made soon, I might have that one done as well.

I'm getting kinda tired of the rusty hood thing. I think I'll put the original hood back on for a little while.

And maybe stock suspension, and go back to this look.

DSC01364.jpg

Just kidding. That was like four years ago.

But for real about the hood. 

I've kinda been slacking on this, been putting most of my time and money into my s13, since the sale of that will fund a lot more stuff for this and the FC.

Speaking of which, I'm having drift withdrawals. I need to get the FC going again. When I do, I'm going to paint the engine bay of it and the S30 the same color as the s13, I really dig it.

This color here:

8881C09B-09D7-43EE-8908-29DC622D68D1-108

I can't remember if I posted that picture already or not or what. I'm bored and stuff.

Here's a pic of my gf's ass.

67CB59B8-2089-4ECD-8D9A-E6283DD3D358-132