Form > Function S30

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropped the spindles off to be welded last night, should be tigged up and ready to go in a few days. Before powdercoating I'm having the old bearings pressed out, and new ones pressed in after the powdercoating, then they'll be going back on the car.

null_zps642fb5d3.jpg

null_zps48c91df7.jpg

• Like 1

Where do you get your powder coating done? I live a few hours southeast near McAlester, but I'm in OKC quite a bit. I've looked around quite a bit online, but a word of mouth recommendation would be worth a lot more to me.

Edit: Also, I could use a machine shop rec, too, if you don't mind.

A buddy of mine just had his valve covers and intake manifold for his RB25 powdercoated at a shop here, can't remember the name but I'll probably go there, he said it was only $75 for his parts. For machining I used Wrights Welding and Machine on NE 10th. Guys up there were super cool about getting me exactly what I needed

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Well, Doug is finishing up my spindles today and they'll be going to the powdercoater tomorrow. 

Since I'm getting close to reassembly, I figured I needed to find out what I was going to do about camber plates. I'm re-using the Techno Toy Tuning plates up front, doing something different for the rear.

So since Z32's don't have camber plates, I have to somehow make this tophat fit this camber plate:

null_zpse37c9379.jpg

After some cutting, grinding, drilling and tapping, I came up with a rough version of a camber plate/tophat, which looked like this:

null_zpsd5bd7c10.jpg

Looked entirely janky and not at all what I wanted. So then I was like, maybe I can make the Techno Toy Tuning tophats fit the Z32 coils?

Basically, this nut holds the tophat onto the coilover. The round smooth part at the bottom is what fits inside the pillowball bearing, perfectly clearanced to allow full motion of the tophat. Spherical pillowballs are important, especially since I'm low and the way my suspension is designed. 

1d1a1bd2-6a76-45f6-849a-3d5acb1f5b96_zps

Unfortunately, PBM's pillowball bearings are bigger than Techno Toy Tunings, so the nut from my coilover wouldn't fit into the T3 tophat. I was debating shaving it down, but then I remembered I had a pair of nuts from when I originally bought the T3 camber plate kit for S30 shocks.

Dug them out of the drawer and discovered they had the EXACT same thread pitch as the Z32 coils, and were perfectly clearanced to fit into the T3 bearing, so using that nut, the Techno Toy Tuning camber plate/tophat assembly fits perfectly onto the PBM Z32 coilover.

null_zps44a35154.jpg

null_zpsa8c3bd23.jpg

Pillowball works perfectly, everything is clearanced perfectly, so nothing is loose, and I'll have full camber adjustment in the front. 

For the rear, I'm having new plates made to weld in, the tophat of the coilover will bolt up just like in an s13. Camber, caster, and toe will be adjusted with the Techno Toy Tuning LCA's.
  • Like 1
Just picked up the front spindles, welds look awesome. Very happy with the way everything's turning out. 

Had to end up migging them, in order to tig the cast Doug would've had to heat them up to like 3000* and that wasn't happening. Even with the mig they had to be heated up to like 325*. Either way, I have no fear of these ever breaking. 

Did a little coilover mockup, super excited about the way it's all lining up.

null_zpsb0b0e2ef.jpg

Closeup of the welds

null_zps7fabb871.jpg
  • Like 2

Got the rear spindles back last night, don't have any pics of them. Nothing too impressive, going to try to get the spindle pins out tonight : / any tips on removing them? I imagine it'll be a bitch.

Got the rear weld in plates back from the machine shop yesterday, test fitted them on the coils and they fit perfectly. I'm going to go ahead and clean up the top of the strut towers so the plates will fit better and tack them in place, my welder buddy is going to come over and weld them in with his mobile setup for me.

null_zpse1aa72a6.jpg

Also got some rear brake rotors, ordered calipers the other day so all I'm waiting on is powdercoating and a little more welding.

In case anybody's still interested, here's an update.

Had to get my mind off this so I finished up the 5 lug on this hunk. 

null_zpsffa529dc.jpg

My rear brake calipers came in the mail today, so I started mocking up the rear discs to see how everything was going to line up. So far it looks good. 

null_zps2db6af22.jpg

Just have to weld in the camber plates and strut tower tops now, and have the spindles powdercoated and everything will be all done. I get paid tomorrow, so we'll see how much I have leftover after tuition and bills and I may make some more progress. I started taking classes at OCCC again this semester to finish up my degree and I haven't had a whole lot of time to do anything. 

Coils just waiting to be put on. 

null_zpsd31c6f56.jpg

Bought a bike for a summer daily/fun vehicle while I rebuild the suspension on the s30.

5AF33AE5-20D2-46D4-BE22-092BEEE07493-926

Needs tires, and the tags brought up to date but it runs and drives GREAT and I got a good deal on it. First thing I'll do is paint it and put a solo seat on it so it looks like this

E2F64C9C-527D-4710-85A3-590CD015BB0A-926

you should see my neighbors. he is almost done with it. hes changes the seat up a bit and we did a hard tail on it, but this has the basic idea.

1070018_10151568361209053_1807720248_n_z

you should see my neighbors. he is almost done with it. hes changes the seat up a bit and we did a hard tail on it, but this has the basic idea.

1070018_10151568361209053_1807720248_n_z

Good looking bike. I don't know why he went to a hardtail though. Makes me wish my wife would let me have one.

I guess that's why I have 9 cars ATM. If I can't have a bike, I'll just get every car.

null_zps609f6942.jpg

I'm gonna paint the engine bay in this thing since I'm too broke to do anything to the suspension right now. Had a bachelor party last weekend and spent all my money on Dallas strippers, so it'll be sitting until my next paycheck.

Then I got really drunk at the wedding and took pictures with everybody

null_zps35c8881b.jpg

null_zps579be70e.jpg

null_zps71a26213.jpg

null_zpsa55d20d3.jpg

null_zps5b2ee757.jpg

null_zpsb8c461df.jpg

I'm also really drunk right now

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, finished this up today and am driving it. I actually ran into no problems with the brake swap, which I wasn't expecting. Brakes feel awesome, the 4 pistons up front and discs in the rear feel great. Only thing I haven't hooked up is the e brake, I'll have to fab a bracket for the cables to attach to the calipers.

null_zps13ffbe6d.jpg

Whole completed assembly in the back.

null_zpsa81e4a75.jpg

You can see the big calipers peeking out in the front haha

null_zps0f1c2c0e.jpg

null_zps985b66d0.jpg

null_zpse1d3f134.jpg

null_zps44a13bb4.jpg

• Like 1