Form > Function S30

I guess I missed the price part. I thought you just wanted an alternative... yeah, I would run an external mic on the Go Pro for the best bang for your buck. Then again, some of nicer mics out there can get pricey. Granted I was running my mic through a DSLR. Ive never looked at anything to use only with a Go Pro like camera before. 

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You didnt miss the price point but like you said bang for buck its hard to beat the go pro and sep mic. Sound isnt THAT important to me but I mean 50min of SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH from the wind is annoying. We even tried mesh and some other fixes people said helped with the wind but it was still pretty beat. 

20 buck iphone mount def works lol, I use my suction cup windshield mount backwards with my mytough 4g with decent results. 

Part one of my new suspension build just arrived!

45ACBE2E-FB08-4229-8408-C273342C7784-424

I think I'll order brakes with my next check. My raise will make this so much easier! Need to get some tension rods from T3, and as soon as I sell my coupe I'll be ordering new coils.

Speaking of the coupe, its all together and running and driving and stuff. I'll be posting it up for sale soon.

5D641DA6-382E-4FBC-8497-3120B4534F23-424

EDIT: Just ordered Energy Suspension mustache bar bushings too. Mine are fucked beyond belief. I'll post up a vid of what happens when I jack up the diff later on. 

Idk if I've posted my new suspension setup plans yet, but they've been in the works for a while

New coils

Rear discs

Front brake upgrade w/ Toyota calipers, vented rotors

Wilwood BMC

LCA's

New balljoints

Mustache bar bushings

Tension rods

Roll center adjusters

Z31 LSD (if I can find one)

Shit like that

Picking up a set of S12+8 calipers from a buddy tomorrow, and another buddy gave me a pair of vented z31 rotors, and another buddy that works at a machine shop hooked me up with a pair of hub spacers I need for the vented rotor setup.

So all in all, I have the complete front brake swap for $110 haha. I probably won't put it on until I get all the rest of the suspension/brake stuff. Whenever I do though, I'm planning on doing a detailed write up with photos on the swap, including the master cylinder and rear discs, since I haven't been able to find a complete write up on the whole conversion.

Shit man I'm jealous, I want a set of those spacers. Do a run and sell me a set lol. 

I think no one does a write up of the entire brake system because there are a whole bunch of accepted ways of going about it. Some people prefer different things for different reasons.

300zx rotors and the spacers I had made. If these spacers work out fine I'll have a few more sets made and distribute em. They're cut out of 3/8" steel instead of being machined aluminum, ended up being a lot cheaper that way. Also got my Energy Suspension mustache bar bushings in.

36211131-6DCA-4B3A-8B81-8D36B45076CC-573

Here's a wider shot of my work bench if anyone's interested

B0DDCD5E-DCB7-49DB-92CF-B03A1A566778-573

• Like 1

Oh hat spacers, those are easier to come by. I thought you mean a spacer to widen the caliper. The z31 rotors fit in between the relief cut in the s12-8? I thought the whole reason for using the later calipers was they were machined wider so they would fit the z31 rotor. If just a hat spacer is needed I got to get on the good foot lol. 

I lost you there haha. The spacers are essentially the same as the ones made by Silvermine and Modern Motorsports to reposition the rotor to line up with the S12+8 caliper. 

My buddy stopped by this morning to drop off the calipers, they're big as fuck.

FCF4AB82-3DCE-4A44-88C9-DEA146DB3D24-111

The fuck is up with Photobucket making us use the new format now? It won't let me change back to the old version.

I'll probably paint the calipers and have a shop here in the city make me ss braided lines so everything will be ready when I put them on with the new suspension. 

Has anyone tried the drilled/slotted rear 280zx rotors on eBay? I'm just going with a stock caliper with Hawk pads, but I still need rotors and I'd really like drilled and slotted ones. I was going to order them for the fronts but these were free haha.

Katy-Perry-katy-perry-31570190-801-1062.

Big picture cause idgaf

You lost me but I think you should take a min and think about it lol. The s12+8 is the solid rotor swap option not because of the alignment of the caliper and a vented rotor but because the slot machined into the caliper doesnt fit a vented rotor. The 86-88 s12+8 can fit a vented rotor but that doesnt look like what you have there. It looks like you have the early style s12+8 which wont fit that vented z31 rotor. 

The spacer I thought you meant is a spacer avail overseas to widen the caliper itself. You can also have the slot machined wider but you really have to hog it out on one side. The spacer you have there is usually whats used with the later 89-95 s12w calipers which is what everyone uses for the vented swap. 

I could be wrong but I suggest you check to see if that vented rotor will fit in the slot of the calipers you have there

vented S12+8 calliper is 23mm
solid S12+8 calliper is 15mm
I believe the vented rotor is like 22mm new and 20mm min

No its the s12+8 79-88, last 2 years being vented, then on to S12W. It's in all the write ups that arent out there ;-)

Just trade the ones you got in as cores on the correct ones if need be, no big deal. New, loaded, they are pretty cheap. 

PM sent back...

I've got the S12+8's with the non vented rotors. Curious about the measurements in the slot in the calipers. I'll have to look at that, next time my wheel is off. From all I read about these brake upgrades, the Toyota calipers are way overkill for the Z. Still 'cool' to have the 4 pistons and rear discs! I'm just going to dial mine in, as best I can, with more aggressive rear pads. Seems to work well, for some.

Keep the pics coming!

Also... Digging the work bench decor!

Depends on what your doing in your Z lol. They are way underkill for track use, they fade very fast when pushed. I run the non vented too, they are great for street use, when dialed in...