Form > Function S30

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still plagued by wiring problems.

I thought it was just a bad battery, so I replaced it. But there must be a draw somewhere, because it's dead every few days, like it's slowly draining. I can get by with push starting it, but when I turn on the headlights I lose all power to the ecu and it dies.

So tomorrow, I'm off work and I only have one class, which I'll probably skip, so I can fix the Z. Gotta pick up some steel tubing to reinforce the coils, take my suspension apart, reinforce it, and now I have to find out what's draining the battery.

I should probably go ahead and replace the alternator as well.

Not looking forward to tomorrow.

And I still have to order coilovers for the FC.

Speaking of the FC, here's how the oil pans going. Have to finish welding it back together, build a rear sump tube, and put it back together and drop it in the car.

9307dc4b.jpg

• Like 1

Alrighty, started reinforcing the fronts. Basically just had to grind down the welds, hammer the tube over the whole assembly, weld the top and bottom.

Only got one done so far, going to bed now lol

Before:

c7216a92.jpg

After:

9b9a5149.jpg

Pretty simple. Should add a considerable amount of strength to that lower mount. I wasn't too comfortable with the whole weight of the car on that one weld.

What are you welding with? Coat hangers and beer googles? :lol:

You should take a bit more time getting set into position and slow down to lay some fatter beads. Maybe get a better helmet so you can see what your welding.

Remember the first rule of welding.

Get comfortable.

• Like 1

no wonder why they broke

:rofl:

Im not gonna lie it is better then what i can do atleast. :geek:

I hate thread jacking and love your car, but yeah, those welds need work. I understand thin Shit makes for ugly welds, but I'd suggest grinding into those and doing a cap pass just to be safe. Looks like it's all tied in well, so just grinding until you have solid metal with no seams or porosity then zapping a quick pass over that should eliminate stress points so they don't break again.

P.s. I'm a foreman in a structural shop, so I inspect welds daily. I know how personally people take them. One should take care when telling a welder his work is not up to par.

I hate thread jacking and love your car, but yeah, those welds need work. I understand thin Shit makes for ugly welds, but I'd suggest grinding into those and doing a cap pass just to be safe. Looks like it's all tied in well, so just grinding until you have solid metal with no seams or porosity then zapping a quick pass over that should eliminate stress points so they don't break again.

P.s. I'm a foreman in a structural shop, so I inspect welds daily. I know how personally people take them. One should take care when telling a welder his work is not up to par.

I understand. I appreciate it, I'll definitely do that, I really need a new welder.

Although I finally decided what my final plans for suspension are. I only plan on running these for about a year, sooner if I have all my parts collected by then. Right now, it's fine for dailying, is tolerably comfortable, and looks good, but I'm definitely not keeping these forever. Got bigger, better, more expensive plans : D

• Like 1

Which would be?

I understand. I appreciate it, I'll definitely do that, I really need a new welder.

Although I finally decided what my final plans for suspension are. I only plan on running these for about a year, sooner if I have all my parts collected by then. Right now, it's fine for dailying, is tolerably comfortable, and looks good, but I'm definitely not keeping these forever. Got bigger, better, more expensive plans : D

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't really done shit to this lately, just been dailying it. Need to get a new headgasket, it's been running hot and burning oil ever since it overheated a while back.

I've really been more focused on the FC, tryin to get it running in time to make some events.

So far, its on coils, welded diff, hydro e brake, and the KA swap is almost finished.

1283295a.jpg

d50766cb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...