"Datsunami" 510 SR23DET S14 Build.... SR-TITTY-THREE!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So I dropped my dime off last Fri at my buddies house in Oakley to have the bay stitch welded, shaved, filled, some other bay repairs and then get painted.

We're Gonna start on it this next weekend. Pull the motor and go to town on it.

Unfortunately, Mazworx won't be done w/my motor for a few months.... I am excited but trying to exercise patience.

Dang that is a bit of a wait. At least they are honest about their timeline. Better than making promises they can't keep. Hopefully you get it back and installed in time to enjoy some nice weather driving:)

Please post some oics of the bay overhaul as it happens, we all want to see!

Dang that is a bit of a wait. At least they are honest about their timeline. Better than making promises they can't keep. Hopefully you get it back and installed in time to enjoy some nice weather driving:)

Please post some oics of the bay overhaul as it happens, we all want to see!

Ya, Mazworx is a motor building machine. Eric over there said they have about 15 different motor builds going on right now....

I will def post pics as I get them!

So went to Neds and picked up some candy for my engine bay. Yum!!

2012-04-06182911.jpg

Started tearing into the bay too. This is in need of some body work on the front clip.

Dude that owned it before me said it was never in a wreck. Fnck, I hate Liars!!

Anyways, It will be 100% better after it is done!

2012-04-06184908.jpg

So, just received another important part in my build.

A Fuel Surge Tank. Got all the -6an hose and fittings too.

Has 2 pump outlets and 4 possible inlets/returns.

I will be using a 1 outlet and 3 inlets configuration.

My in-tank Walbro 255 will feed into the Surge Tank from one of the top fittings.

An inline Bosch 044 will pull from the bottom outlet and feed the fuel rail.

The return from the fuel rail will enter through one of the upper side fittings and

then one of the top fittings will feed back into the tank.

This helps keep an uninterrupted fuel flow going to the motor when there is hard cornering, launches and stops.

The dual Fuel Pumps should have no problem feeding 400whp....

My2ltrSurgeTank.jpg

So last night after work, I showed up at the shop (my buddies 3 car garage) and low and behold he had my motor out!

We inspected the motor and as I thought (and he tripped on), the timing chain was way stretched out.

Inspected the turbo and it looks really good. That's good cause I will be reusing most everything but the long block minus the VC and Fly wheel. (intake, turbo, Plenum, Water pump and Alt pulleys, Exhaust manny, Tranny. etc)

The Engine bay had some issues tho.

There was some body filler here and there. The previous owner decided to use that instead of simply fixing the dents which were 100% accessible from both sides. :confused:

He also did a hack job when cutting things clear for the Intercooler. Also looks like it was in a very minor wreck. The front drivers side looked like at one point it was pushed in about an inch and banged back out like crap. The hood support is hella flimsy and half ass fixed on one side and then filled with bondo.

There is about 4 layers of different paint.

The good news is that my cross member looks like a total custom job. Instead of cutting the middle out and flipping it around, it looked like they just cut the motor mounts off, flipped the whole thing around and welded in all new mounts. Which is awesome because the motor is back as far as it can go which can not be done by just cutting and flipping the center of the cross member. It is also Powder coated Gun Metal Gray too. :thumbup:

I'm gonna have to replace the clutch and brake master cylinders too. They are slightly leaking. Prob cause the turbo down pipe is about 3" away.

Gtta do a Heat sheild there so that the seals will not fail prematurely or leak all over my new paint!

All in all, everything looked pretty good. Now comes the paint stripping, fixing dents, Shaping, Stitch welding, Opening up the Strut tower holes for more camber/caster, filling all unused holes, shaving unused brackets, pulling out battery tray indent, making pockets for the HID housings, fixing front damage, fixing Hood Support, spraying wells with under guard and other odds and ends!

Then comes the paint! I cun't wait!

Here are a few oics....

2012-04-11194752.jpg

2012-04-11195119.jpg

2012-04-11195205.jpg

2012-04-11204609.jpg

2012-04-11204746.jpg

Super like! My engine bay needs alot of work... Not looking forward to tackling it... Man all these SR threads make me all warm inside and gitty to get mine on the road! Keep up the good work dude!

Oh thought you might like this. May be old news but I think it's cool

c53107ae.jpg

• Like 2

Super like! My engine bay needs alot of work... Not looking forward to tackling it... Man all these SR threads make me all warm inside and gitty to get mine on the road! Keep up the good work dude!

c53107ae.jpg

That's Awesome!!!

• Like 1

c53107ae.jpg

That's pretty cool. since it's all glass, shit, I would worry too much about breaking it! Crazy!

He should do that for the oil too. It would be easy to know when you need an oil change!

I wonder if you can see the air compress?

Sorry for mucking up your thread!!

Ya, I wonder if you can see the air bubbles going through the intake too? hahaha lol jk

Don't worry, your not mucking things up bro. :thumbup:

I just really want reliability. What ever it makes between 15 and 20lbs of boost is what I am going to run at so I am not too worried about the tranny.

Unless 15-20 gets me over 400whp then I will just dial down the boost.

If/when I go for high numbers, I will make sure the tranny is taken care of :thumbup:

Well, since my buddy doing my car was doing other things, I wanted to stay on top of things so

I spent most of today polishing up my grill and headlight bezels.

Also cleaned and polished my grill eyebrow trim, Brake Master Cylinder and my SR20 Water Neck.

1968 JDM Grill with Deluxe Badge (Rare Grill and Uber Rare Badge)

2012-04-15171349.jpg

2012-04-15171532.jpg

2012-04-15172013.jpg

Got another Mazworx update...

This time an almost completely prep'ed Block.

Had a little trouble with the sales guy over at Mazworx being Lethargic and doling out sub par customer service tho.

They received my motor on March 19th (Exactly a month ago) and I keep asking where in the queue I am and a

ball park of when it will be finished and the Sales guy just gives me 1 sentence emails replies like, “Don’t know” and “We are busy”

What the hell is that??!!

So I emailed their Customer Service Dept and The CS rep apologized and worked it for me. I knew Mazworx couldn’t be THAT lame. CS wise.

So he went out and snapped a few pics and told me what was going to happen next.

He said that they still do not know when it will be finished but at least he answered me with a whole paragraph!

BTW, he said the next step is to hone the cylinders and machine the journals for 5 hole bearings...

Anyways, on with the Oics….

Sleeved Block

SleevedSR20Block.jpg

Sleeved Block and Custom Step Decked

Sleeved-stepdecked-honedBlock1.jpg

Oil Pump Installed for fitment and decking. All mating surfaces were machined for tight seal.

Oilpumpinstalled4-18-12.jpg

Passenger side (Right Side) of the Sleeved Block

Sleeved-stepdecked-honedBlock4-18-12.jpg

Drivers Side (Left Side) of the Sleeved Block

Sleeved-stepdecked-honedBlock2.jpg