"Datsunami" 510 SR23DET S14 Build.... SR-TITTY-THREE!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a Spung Blitz Twin Disc Active Clutch for my sr20det.

Used with 2000 (5months old) Doesn't "Look" new but has hella meatl!!

No tracking or drifting on it. Just around town and to shows....

Got it hella cheap!

Beast mode, I'm jelly.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up an S14 short Block for $100.

Still has the internals, timing, oil pump and girdle. The cylinders are in great shape too.

Just waiting for my other parts and I can send it all out...

It spun a bearing. I found a few cm sized shavings of what looks like bearing material in the bottom of the girdle.

I have not got a chance to tear it down yet. Do you think there is a chance the journals are messed up?

It still turns over but not easily.

UPDATE

Tore the block apart and found that the #3 rod spun a bearing. Not sure if the Rod or crank can be saved but the block

is in perfect shape! Good to go!

SR20DETblock3.jpg

SR20DETblock.jpg

SR20DETblock2.jpg

SR20DETblock4.jpg

yup. But you can have it machined. Or source a good crank. I would opt for it being machined. So everything is to spec

Actually now that you said it, I have a brand new crank for it.

I was going to wait till I had the kit to tell but I am officially going SR23DET.

I just got, for an out of this world price, a BC stroker kit with upgraded rods, 89mm pistons, Darton sleeves and all the ARP hardware plus head bolts all WPC treated.

I am going to go with 5 hole bearings so the journals will be machined.

Actually now that you said it, I have a brand new crank for it.

I was going to wait till I had the kit to tell but I am officially going SR23DET.

I just got, for an out of this world price, a BC stroker kit with upgraded rods, 89mm pistons, Darton sleeves and all the ARP hardware plus head bolts all WPC treated.

I am going to go with 5 hole bearings so the journals will be machined.

in that case you have no worries all you need is a good block with no messed up threads. Some 240sx guys are retarded and strip the oil pan,timing cover or turbo feed banjos.

at what point is too much? Lol

in that case you have no worries all you need is a good block with no messed up threads. Some 240sx guys are retarded and strip the oil pan,timing cover or turbo feed banjos. At what point is too much? Lol

I'll check all the threaded holes but it looks to be fine.

I bought the block so I don't have so much down time with my car.

Build the engine, then pull my motor, swap out parts I need and re-install. Hope it's that easy but I doubt it..... :cool:

UPDATE: Tore block down and there was a spun Rod bearing on #3 but the crank journals were pristine!

Don't know if the rod and crank can be saved but the block is good to go! Whew!

First time posting on the forums. That make me a noob. I just picked up my first datsun a little while ago planning on doing a Chevy small block 327 swap into it ratsun style haha. Any suggestions for a radiator the V8 in the small car might get a little warm. Oh and your car looks amazing! Im on a limited budget and it will take a lot of time but some day my car will look as beautiful as yours.

First time posting on the forums. That make me a noob. I just picked up my first datsun a little while ago planning on doing a Chevy small block 327 swap into it ratsun style haha. Any suggestions for a radiator the V8 in the small car might get a little warm. Oh and your car looks amazing! Im on a limited budget and it will take a lot of time but some day my car will look as beautiful as yours.

Um ratsun style is not a V8 in your 510, keep that in your camaro. Ratsun style is doing what you want though... Sometimes that is a V8...

But most importantly, We try to keep these build threads focused on the car at hand. Questions are great, and while the desire to make your car look like this one is awesome, the goal of your post really has no similarity to this thread. (Maybe finding a thread about a V8 in a 510).

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the props. I would not really know anything specific about swapping a V8 into a dime but it's been done allot. I do know it will run hot and cooling is a major issue with V8 swaps cause of limited space for a rad. A friend of mine even relocated his dual rad setup into his trunk because of no space. But that was an LS- V8 and totally custom install. I am sure there are plenty of threads here about V8 swaps.

Welcpme to Ratsun!!

Um ratsun style is not a V8 in your 510, keep that in your camaro. Ratsun style is doing what you want though... Sometimes that is a V8...

But most importantly, We try to keep these build threads focused on the car at hand. Questions are great, and while the desire to make your car look like this one is awesome, the goal of your post really has no similarity to this thread. (Maybe finding a thread about a V8 in a 510).

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for looking out bro ;)

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a while since I have had any updates.

Just been trying to amass parts and get the logistics ready for the build...

I've bought new rocker arms for my built head, a Tomei Rocker Arm Stopper Kit and

I finally got all the stroker parts I've been waiting for. Now I have to get all the parts together to ship out.

My BC 91mm Stroker Kit contains a 91mm Forged Billet Stroker Crank (wpc treated), JE 89mm Forged Pistons,

Crower Forged I-Beam Rods. Good for 800hp I am told. Heavy Duty 9310 Series Wrist Pins (wpc treated), Ductile

iron plasma top rings, tapered second ring, low tension oil rings, All ARP Hardware, ACL GTi-R 5 hole Bearings

Rod, Main and Thrust Bearings, Nismo Pilot Roller Bearing, ATI Super Damper, Darton Sleeves and Mazworx 90mm

Head Gasket. Prob a few things I am forgetting...

I've been researching this allot and being my first engine build, I have found that a stroker motor is not so easy.

So I am going to leave this engine build up to the professionals over MAZWORX.

I've gotten a good quote and they are paying attention to all the details unlike ALL the other shops I have contacted.

Plus I KNOW I will have a bad ass motor that is built right. I'll save my first engine build for the SR that is currently in my Dime.

Here are some pics...

CrowerRod.jpg

CrowerForgedbillet91mmStrokerCrank.jpg

JE89mmForgedPistons.jpg

JE89mmForgedPistonBottom.jpg

Wow man this is one of my top 5 Datsun 510's I've ever seen.

Truly a work of art

That is truly a great compliment. Thanks!

Now I can't let you down...

Dang, as if I didn't have enough pressure already! hahaha ;)

It is good from afar but far from good..... so far. :blink:

Seriously, after this engine build and some other things like Stitch welding the bay, shave and fill holes

and paint; this thing will be allot closer to where I want it....

are you keeping receipts? how much does it take to build that kind of motor? without having a shop do most of the assembly anyway

I try my best to keep track of the receipts....

I procured the parts for this motor for a fraction of what the actual cost would have been. So having them professionally installed is affordable.

There is ALLOT of machining and balancing involved with a stroker motor. Have to notch the pistons for oil squirter clearance, the upper

oil pan for main bolt clearance, journal oil slot machining, block decking, oil pump decking, water pump decking along with a few other things.

All of the torquing needs to be precise or the motor will eat bearings. The head needs precise shimming and reassembly and the cams degreed.

I am not buying tools or can't do some work myself and space is limited so a shop is my best bet. Plus there is accountability.

I checked into the pistons a little more and it turns out that they have a nice bronze ceramic coating on the deck

to help deflect heat for better ignition. And a black coating what JE calls a "Tuff" coating around the skirt for break in purposes.

Looks super nice and are upgraded options.... :D

JE89mmForgedPistons.jpg