RX3 for my 12 year old?

My 12 year old son is a car nut, his dream car is a Hakosuka but that isnt going to happen. His next favorite car is an RX3 and to top it off he found one online at a decent price but it isnt a runner. I was thinking about buying it and just work on it a little here and there until he is old enough to drive it. I would not let him do any engine mods besides getting the stock engine running well. I would let him do the flares and old school JDM wheels he wants for it. My main concern is buying such a rare car for a first car for him. What do you think? We have a new Mini Cooper that my wife told him that he can have when he is old enough to start driving. I just assume we either give him the Mini or buy a car that we dont care about if he comes home with a big dent in it. I know how kids are with cars but I treated my first car with love and never abused it and I am not sure if he will be the same way.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rx3's are pretty fast, and hard to control at high speeds, cool ass cars tho, but.... They have aoit of maintanace involved and poor mpg, id say get ut but then again id say get some saftey equipment sych as seats and harness, and keep the bumpers on. Most are automatic but even,those are fast for what they are. Parts are hard to find but if you search pdx cl kurt in mollala has 12+ parts cars hes real proud of.

Do like you said....Get it and let him work on it over the next four years. He'll have built up a lot of love/respect/pride in the car within those four years and will probably baby the car as you did your first car!

Exactly.

No work, dedication, hours spent with dad, free car = no respect, car busted to shit

Hard work, knowing your car inside & out, quality time with the dad = not letting any of his buddies even lean on it

Get it, fix it up, if his mind changes about cars at least you have another badass ride

Buy car for yourself. My buddy sold his RX3 SP for $5k last year and it wasnt running right. His kid wasnt even looking at it. RX3s are rare and should not be a kid car.

Kids always destroy their first car.

You know anyone whenyour was a kid that still has their car?

I still have my 510 I found for 250$ 24yrs later.

kids nowadays are used to FI new cars. They dont like working on cars. They like Play station and I phones.

Buy Him a Datsun truck lots of them cheap. EZ to work on.

RX3 for you!!!!!!!!!!!

My pappy got me a 57 Chevy for my 12th. Signed sealed and delivered my love for cars! There is nothing cooler than havin a sweet ride in school. By the time I graduated, I had driven the 57, a 65 2door New Yorker, 66 Charger, and a 4door 68 Sattelite ex cop car!

Learn Em Young!

I didnt know that the RX3's were that fast. I should get him a yugo.

:rofl: Oh yeah, get him a yugo and he'll never let YOU live it down. But for real, a kid's first car should be something base on how they live, your kid is into a cars right? Then get him something he can build with his own hands. If doesn't like working on cars, then gve him the Mini and tell him he has to pay for anything that goes worng with it, either way, it help teach to be responsiable and have respect or he too will learn that life without a car, just plain sucks!

I had a 72 RX2 and a 74 RX4 i i will say they aren`t that fast but in the rare department ,, now that`s a different story. Sold both about 1989-ish for about $500. each and have only seen one RX2 and have never seen another small bumper RX4 ( in person ) ever again.. Although iv`e seen 4 doors but that aint the same thing.

I like RX3's but if I were to buy another car for myself I would do a S30 flared. Once the 510 is running and the bugs worked out i will be picking up a 240 and a RB.

I didnt know that the RX3's were that fast. I should get him a yugo.

Haha! Get him a Ford Festiva then! When he complains about it show him my post on here to prove to him that they CAN be cool little cars :D

If he were my kid, his first car would be an old HUGE 4 door beast. Wrap them in as much metal as you can :P My first car was a 67 Olds 442. Big & heavy with room in the back seat for young love ;) Slid on ice & totalled it but I didnt get a scratch.

:rofl: Oh yeah, get him a yugo and he'll never let YOU live it down. But for real, a kid's first car should be something base on how they live, your kid is into a cars right? Then get him something he can build with his own hands. If doesn't like working on cars, then gve him the Mini and tell him he has to pay for anything that goes worng with it, either way, it help teach to be responsiable and have respect or he too will learn that life without a car, just plain sucks!

He loves cars but he has yet to show a lot of interest working on them. He is always bugging me about cruising in the 510 and when is it going to be running but he never wants to help unless I need a brake bleeder when I tell him to get his ass out to the garage.

If he were my kid, his first car would be an old HUGE 4 door beast. Wrap them in as much metal as you can :P My first car was a 67 Olds 442. Big & heavy with room in the back seat for young love ;) Slid on ice & totalled it but I didnt get a scratch.

LOL, that is something my wife and I were thinking about. Only drawback is that if he showed up to school in that thing were we live would be a social disaster. If we were to give him a beast where my wife grew up they would think he was the cool kid cause he isnt on the bus.

this brought up a funny memory. My dad was going through a tough time after he divorced my step mom and she was milking him for every cent. He had to borrow a car from a friend so he could pick us up from school. This car was such a piece of shit, it had a super loud exhaust and would barely start etc... I think it was a Toyota Corona (this was back in the early 80's). My older sister told my dad to park a couple of blocks away from our school to pick us up.

all these people say that hes gonna wreck his first car my first car was my yellow 610 yes it did get destroied in the end but both times it was hit had nothing to do with me but othe idiots on the road first time someone cut me off and stuffed there brakes (insurance scam)and the one that killed it the dumb bitch ran a red and t boned me basicly my point is that if the other dumbasses on the road hadent been idiots that car would still be on the road running like a champ

first car + txting/I phone = smashed

Buy Him a AMC. Pacer /Concord/MatadorGrimlin.

Personal opinion since I dont have anykids. Dont give them anything till their 35years old.

Let the kid pick what he wants and support him. You never know he might hang out with 4x4 guys

Crap by then the Suby WRXs will be cheap

Datsun truck 620

Raotaries are hard to maintain unless your really into them.

Randys Rotary in Puyallup has stacks of Gen 2 RX7s turbos that kids leave cause they cant pay to fix

Go to a Aussie website they just love them downunder 2 3 and 4s

I am starting to think that this shouldnt be my problem. Maybe I should just let him get his license at 18 and then give him some money to buy a car and he can get whatever he wants. My wife and I are in agreement that if he isnt in school when he is done with high school then he needs to pay rent or move out or go to school.

the memories you and your son would create working on the RX3 would be pricless and you would be able to instill a sense of pride in him, but since he is bugging you about when the 510 will be done maybe get another 510 and build it with him instead. But make sure he understands no work will be done on "his" car unless he is out in the garage working on it, the focus is on him working on it and having his dad right beside him busting knuckles etc...is the iceing on the cake.

the memories you and your son would create working on the RX3 would be pricless and you would be able to instill a sense of pride in him, but since he is bugging you about when the 510 will be done maybe get another 510 and build it with him instead. But make sure he understands no work will be done on "his" car unless he is out in the garage working on it, the focus is on him working on it and having his dad right beside him busting knuckles etc...is the iceing on the cake.

That would be cool, get him away from video games.

my first car was a 1978 toyota long box. 5 speed. It was factory orange. some ass hat painted the little surface rust spots brown and green. looked like a bruised pumpkin rolling down the street :rofl:

Loved that truck. 3 months after i got it, i blew thru a stop sign and t-boned a two door B12 sentra. Totaled them both.