Volvo 240 axle option

Laecaon

So I recently have been thinking of what axles can be found with LSD or is an easy option to obtain for them. I stumbled across the idea of a Volvo 240 axle.

This currently is just me putting some ideas and facts and internet findings in one place.

So the Volvo 240 was produced from 75-early 90's; newest one I have found is a 91...

These axles have disc brakes stock.

They are either a Volvo 1030 or a 1031 axle. This is based on a Dana 30.

Axles are 27 splined.

Axles come in a wide range of gearing 3.31 3.54 3.73 4.11 and possible 4.30 and 4.88

PCD is 5x108. I would redrill to 5x114.3. I cant find any conclusive evidence but this might be difficult as there may not be enough room...

Here is my favorite part! Though it might be good to measure at the junkyard...

WIDTH is from what I can tell 1350mm.

According to Jesusno2 the the 510 wagon axle is 53.5 inches which is 1358.9mm wide. So the axle is narrower...!? This seems odd and why I would like to get a real measurement. But if this is true this would probably allow a 15x7 et0 with a mild roll.

LSD I mentioned... Ok so from what I read some cars were stock with LSD units, but because of the type of people who bought these cars very few have this as it was just an option. Good reading on this subject can be found here: http://www.davebarton.com/volvorearends.html

But there is hope! and it seems new parts are available. Detroit Locker seems to make a LSD unit for this axle.

Oh and and volvo 740 axle is the same but wider at 1460mm or 57.5 inches

• Like 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So how does this axle compare to the H-190 in the trucks and your goon for size as in ring gear diameter.

Good question, and i sure dont know. But considering how heavy built volvos have always been, i would think that the might hold up in a lighter 510.

So how does this axle compare to the H-190 in the trucks and your goon for size as in ring gear diameter.

I dont know what the H190 is... Found it: 7.49"

The volvo is:

30 series uses a 7.2" ring gear while the 31 uses a 7.562

pinion gear (1.376" vs 1.406") (31 is the bigger one.)

Neat idea, but I would personally get an 8" Ford rear end. Oodles and oodles of lockers and gears available at any Tom/Dick/Hairy auto parts.

2 things, The volvo rear end may not require being shortened...

And I really hate ford. like more than honda.

But yes I realize that a ford 8 inch is a great option, and that just may end up in my car.

Why not just use AE86 rear .

..you get disc brakes with a parking brake, no re-drilling of axles ( already 4x 114.3 ) , because the are used to drift, shit loads of aftermarket ( everything ) and it`s 10mm skinnier than original axle (1345 mm. )...

...And the big question, where would you get aftermarket ( high performance / stronger ) parts for Volvo??

Am i not seeing something

Why not just use AE86 rear .

..you get disc brakes with a parking brake, no re-drilling of axles ( already 4x 114.3 ) , because the are used to drift, shit loads of aftermarket ( everything ) and it`s 10mm skinnier than original axle (1345 mm. )...

...And the big question, where would you get aftermarket ( high performance / stronger ) parts for Volvo??

Am i not seeing something

So, is that 1345 wms to wms (wheel mounting surface)?

Volvo is just in every junkyard, actually a DANA 30 carrier...

And it is a way for easily going to 5 lug.

But yes, the AE86 seems like a great option, I dont know why I didnt think of that, or why I have never read about it...

^ the corolla only has like 100 Hp. So you would have to beef it up? What if you running sr20 or kade? I dont think the corolla diff will handle it without extra moneys...

The volvo sounds like its is LSD stock and just weld on some perches and go....

I believe that the measurement is to the wheel mounting surface

.. and from what i understand stock rear is good for a little over 200 hp

But i have seen OP`s wagon in person and how much work he has put into it , so i figured even if he does go KA..CA..or SR i don`t think he`s going to be beating the shit out of it at the drag strip or drift event..

At least not sober...biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...