Volvo 240 axle option

Laecaon

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But i have seen OP`s wagon in person and how much work he has put into it , so i figured even if he does go KA..CA..or SR i don`t think he`s going to be beating the shit out of it at the drag strip or drift event..

At least not sober...biggrin.gif

Ha! Naner what's the point then? Can't wait to put it under the knife again. Just need an excuse to fuck it up. Then the real car... Wall or cones lol do it!

• 11 months later...

Erm, My understood width as stated in my list of attributes, seems to be a 240's track width and not axle width.

I still havent figured out the axle width. Haven seen a 240 and had a tape measure in hand.

My guess is that its an inch wider, so 12.8mm or so. Which to me says with 510 struts the front and back would take similar offsets.

• 1 month later...

So I was at the JY with draynor today.

They had a few 240s, We measured a wagon, and 4dr. Same deal on both, and looks to be just a hair under 55.5 inches WMS to WMS.

Not quite a deal breaker though. If that is 2 inches wider, drill the axle for 5x4.5 pcd. And then convert the front to 5x4.5pcd. Converting the front makes it so you have to run high offset wheels. And a inch wider either side out back would make it ideal to run a 15x7 et30... (going off of +5 on a wagon fits just a hair better than 0)

Really I need to measure my wagon to actually compare things. I know luke measured it, but he also seems to be hazy if it was actually wms to wms.

In my searching for a rear diff for my wagon, I did some measuring. I came with 53 13/16" drum to drum. Spring perches were 37 1/4" center to center.

Are you running the 280ZX struts? If so you can use the early 300ZX 5 lug rotors. They will widen the front a bit though. Just need a 1/4" spacer between the hub and rotor to put the rotor back to the stock 280ZX caliper location. 

Yep 280ZX struts.

I have done some reading about the 300ZX 5 lug hubs, and probably what I would do. Good to know about the 1/4inch spacer...

So lets say the Volvo axle is 55 3/8 (a good estimation...) and with what Jester measured of 53 13/16, the difference would be 1 9/16, or 25/32 ( 19.84mm) on each side. And a 15x7 +25 would fit easily.

Neat idea, but I would personally get an 8" Ford rear end. Oodles and oodles of lockers and gears available at any Tom/Dick/Hairy auto parts.

8" ford is hard to find and expensive. Volgograd Dana 30 strong and cheap. The Dana 30 is way more common than the 8" fordnow days.

Ive used the volvo diff in two swaps one into a 131 abarth sport and the other was a volvo 240 we swapped a ford 302-5.0 into and ran the volvo diff with no problems. Check out Jaguar's that run and they feel the volvo diff is plenty tor a V-8 Swap. I have done diff work tor years and worked at Randy's ring and pinion as well as ARB air lockers.

I think the volvo diff into a 510 wagon is brilliant.