Fan clutch or no fan clutch?

Just Joel

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed blade may be quieter. Clutch fans have 7 or 8 blades so would be noisier if spinning at engine speed. The clutch limits the RPS to around 1,500. It moves more air at low speed than fixed. At any vehicle speed above 25-30 you don't even need a fan.

2eDeYe' date='15 September 2011 - 07:37 AM' timestamp='1316097437' post='547305']

Until the fan clutch dies and your motor overheats...or it locks up and sounds like a prop motor.

I guess I'll be the first to say it....Go electric.

Yeah.. I put he should put Slim fan in it too... CLeaner look and No worries about clutch failing and possibly cuttin your hands if accidently placed in shroud...

Go with a fixed- blade fan, but don't just buy anything! First off, there's no such thing as an aluminum flex fan~ the hood on my old '80 K30'd testify to that. Second, fan noise is related to blade spacing~ not the clutch (or lack thereof). Fans, just like any other rotating component, create noise. Even blade spacing introduces harmonics to that noise~ find a fan that has staggerd blades.

That it, unless you want it to sound like it's powered by an air conditioner....laugh.gif

• Like 1

the cast Jap "Atsugi: marked are better than the Jap GMB stamped ones but If I had a Stamped one I would run it. Just make sure you have good anti freeze to help from cavitating.

youll need to find a auto warehouse that has this with a photo.

I always ck Rockauto.com but my Favorite was Mr Auto-parts which had all the OEM stuff but they not around anymore.

If in dought go to dealer or nissanparts.cc if you have a part number

Incorrect: No fan clutch = less stress on motor and such so more hp

Fan clutch = more hp, because the fan is limited to RPM and/or disconnects when warm. Nissan used either type in various years and models.

But on the other hand, fixed fan is more reliable. Fan clutch only lasts about 20 years or so.

Fan clutch is also larger for more cooling and was used on A/C models.

I found this one but I'm less than optimistic about the quality...

Click

Also this one but again, I'm not sure about the brand...

Click again

Any experience with these two? Or suggestions of brands I should look at?

Thanks

Joel

Autozone water pumps are great. I sell them all day long, with a lifetime warranty and only once in a year 1/2 have had to warranty one of them. Never had a complaint about them. I'll try an d see who the manufacturer of our pumps are

Autozone water pumps are great. I sell them all day long, with a lifetime warranty and only once in a year 1/2 have had to warranty one of them. Never had a complaint about them. I'll try an d see who the manufacturer of our pumps are

Thats because after they break in 2 months people just say fuck it and go elsewhere. Ive had to warranty 3 alternators and getting ready to throw this water pump thru the new autozone up the road. :fu:

• Like 1

Thats because after they break in 2 months people just say fuck it and go elsewhere. Ive had to warranty 3 alternators and getting ready to throw this water pump thru the new autozone up the road. :fu:

lol Highly doubtful unsure.gif

Alternators are shit, but a totally different manufacturer. Our water pumps are generally (not gonna say ALWAYS) a little bit better then anyone else's. I have my LZ water pump from Autozone and my A series waterpump from Autozone. No complaints.