Trade, Is it worth it?

Kyo

Always wanted a Early Datsun Z. Now I have the chance to get one.

Got offered this 1972 Datsun 240Z in trade For my Miata... Is it worth it? the main thing that has me iffy is I don't do body work...... so any thing of that nature would have to be sent out.. any way here are the photos i have so far of the Datsun.. Feel free to point out any trouble areas you see and Give me your thoughts....

Datsun4.jpg

Datsun9.jpg

Datsun3.jpg

Datsun10.jpg

Datsun2.jpg

Datsun5.jpg

Datsun1.jpg

100_0475.jpg

Datsun12.jpg

Datsun7.jpg

Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the Miata. All Stock 150K B-Package. Runs and drive good paint 8 out of 10 due to small dings and paint chips..

DSCN1837.jpg

DSCN1838.jpg

DSCN1843.jpg

DSCN1846.jpg

DSCN1847.jpg

DSCN1848.jpg

DSCN1853.jpg

DSCN1855.jpg

DSCN1857.jpg

lol my mom has one just like this, the only z with a l series that ive drove was a realy beat up 240, i think your miata is in better shape than the z thas for shure. besides the carbs any mods? how many miles on it? displacment? can you talk him into throwing some cash in on top?

might get flamed, im leaning toward saying keep the miata right now,

even if it is a girls car.

There are few cars that will beat a Datsun in cheapness and reliability. The Miata is one of them. Non-interference motor, great hp to weight ratio, very fun. I know many that have passed 200k miles with minimal, minimal maintenance while being flogged for autocross duties.

The downside is, well, they're a chick car. I loved mine, I defended it regularly and it handled better than my 510. But I still like my 510 more. :)

The z is sweet, but expect rust issues to be fixed and a hose of other things from a car that's 19 years older than the Miata. If you have a decent income and a second rig, I'd do it.

besides the carbs any mods? how many miles on it? displacment? can you talk him into throwing some cash in on top? .

The Datsun 240Z is all stock besides the Carbs. it has a clean tittle and 138K Miles Was a Cali car up in tell a few years ago from what I was told..

I am waiting onmore photos and info on the Datsun but Cash on top of my miata is something I would not be against.. I have yet to ask him tho..

The z is sweet, but expect rust issues to be fixed and a hose of other things from a car that's 19 years older than the Miata. If you have a decent income and a second rig, I'd do it.

second Rig I got (2011 tundra) but Working for myself the income goes up and down depending on business... While I can do most things my self no problem, Rust and Body Work are not something I have the talent or space to do so that would have to be sent out.....

you never mentioned if 240 runs .. if that Z had some 15" rotas, or some of those drag 20s that indy just put on his , it would be way sportier looking than miata

It runs and Drives it is currently his Daily..

I know right, I love My Miata.. But Datsun Z Cars are just drop dead sexy when done right...

Keep the miata and just buy the z. The z would be more of a toy than a daily driver. Yes, the miata is worth more than the z at this point because it is a reliable daily driver.

The z, it looks to have the original paint judging by the stripes, but could have been repainted in other areas. Check under the floor mats and underneath for rusted floors, rear wheel arches for any possible patchwork, the usual.

Personally, I would use the miata as a daily driver and use the 240 as a toy, but both I would consider a toy as the miata is great on the track.

Here is another photo he sent me of the Battery Tray, I should get more detailed photos latter tonight or tomorrow..

Datsun6.jpg

Keep the miata and just buy the z.

If I had the space I would consider it, Family says if one comes in one must go..( I have 4 cars right now lol)

i say trade if you get some cash on top.

What would be fair to ask on top? What would this 240Z Go for in a straight cash sell..

I looked at a few Z cars when shopping ,,, before I got my 73

That body actually looks to be superb shape !!! Well worth a hard look !!! Bumper rubber is in good condition ,,, even more importantly is that rubber trim/stainless holder down the sides of the car ,,, indicates this car's body has a better chance of not have been fawked with ,,, Those mags on there are definetly a plus ! ,,, webbers are good carbs ,,,, Choke and seatbelt lights working still indicate to me hope of car being taken care of ,,, a Proper Dash Cap will set you back $60-$150 depending on style and where you shop ,,, How is the paint on the Z ? ,,, your tires I can't tell (tired) look a bit worn IDK ? I will look again !

If I were buying a Z-car again for a daily I would look at the following like a hawk (bought mine in the summer)

--- Make sure you run a hose over the windows/windshield/cowl/hatch glass ( I had a leak in windshield finding out in fall :rolleyes: ) to look for leaks ,,,

--- Front fenders lower drain area always rot out , but resale will be eye sore for hext owner ( they all do this ) ,,, this is a common problem and requires a welder , grinder/body work ,,, with replacement patch panels available for around $40

--- under rear hatch area having a little bit of rust is normal ,,, mine has none (lucky)

--- pull up floor-mats and carpet ,,, see how much rust under ,,, and same with rear deck carpet ,,, :unsure:

--- make sure brakes and wipers work if you plan to daily (people let the brakes go and wipers get tired/arms get dry without lube)

--- is it a 4 or 5speed ? ,,, you don't really need a 5-speed below 65mph :D

--- original rear diff setup ?

--- Check for rear clunks , they have them , it just depends what it is ,,, cv to hub bolts come a little loose after some time ,,, blue loctite ,,, walla !

--- Rockers right in front of the rear wheel well rot out (notorious spot on Z's can't be helped , unless stored dry area ,,, )

--- Make sure all gauges work ,,, (kinda a stickler for Z car owners , we like em )

--- Does the gas tank leak or gas tank vent hoses ,,, allow A LOT of gas fumes into the cabin ( a few are granted but this WILL be a daily )

--- How Tired is the suspension ? <--- stuff can add up fast !!!

--- Why does the dude really want the miata or to get rid of such a fine classic ? ;)

--- Take on cruise up to at least 55mph ,,, give you better idea of everything ,,,

--- Plan on replacing bushings , brakes , etc right off the bat ,,,

--- Battery Tray !!! (yours is VERY clean !!! NICe a very very good sign)

^^^ You can interchange all kinds of parts with these ,,, 70-83 :D

I would say ,,, this white car on the low end is worth less than your Miata atm ,,, I would get it if you love the car !!! Like any Datsun , they are reliable as hell if proper things are paid attention to first !

The Z looks to be promising considering a lot of factors , I can't see in person , I would definetly look hard at it if you wish to do so ,,, but make sure the body is not rotted out or you back at square 1 :unsure:

The miata ,,, well ,,, if you don't like to or don't have a place to work on the thing ,,, then I would keep the Miata ,,, if you wish to restore/repair and enjoy ,,, then get the Z :cool: ,,, your Miata atm is worth more ( MPG , 5-spd , newer , condition , etc ) ,,, but the Z is just cool mang ! :lol:

Don't be surprised if $500 gets dropped in this car to get it to where you want it ( miscellaneous things and extra parts is all ) ,,, who knows ! maybe needs nothing ,,, I would highly advise rubber mustache bar bushings for highway driving over polyurethane if you plan not to race much ;)

:D

In short ,,, yeah I would do it ,,, plan to work on the Z !!! :) ,,, I would get some cash or something on top ,,, maybe extra parts or get the dude to get tires or something like that ,,, to even the odds :D (it's only fair)

The paint is what's gonna kill ya on cost ,,, :mellow: ,,, you can do that yourself though if the bondo work is done :)

Get some money on top from the dude if you can ,,, lots of stuff going on here :D

Might not be a bad idea to have your car appraised and then show him the documentation ,,, it's a really good starting point ;)

With a little TLC that Z would be $2500 min. I have no idea what an MX5 sells for but it is a chick car. I say trade, ask for a little cash and see what he says. But a few more $$ and you can have one of these.

carpictures016.jpg

The z is a cooler project, but I think the miata is worth more cash in current condition. In WA, I see lots of early 240 and 260 z cars for under 2500, and that seams to be the cheapest i see clean miatas selling for. If you like the z and it runs good ask for a little cash on top. 1000 bucks? all depends on how much you like THIS 240z.

In alabama i paid $1100 for a z-car that was in worse shape than this car. The problems i had were around the back hatch & glass leaking which in turn rots out the spare tire well. Also had a rust hole on the passenger side floor you could lose a pair of shoes through. Sold the car a couple years later for $1500. Just to give you an idea of what they go for down here.

Miatas are fun as hell to drive but i had a shitload of fun in my z's too.

Your miata is probably worth $2600 - $3800 just guessing

I'd ask for $1000 on top & see what happens. I probably wouldn't trade if he didn't put some money with it

Thanks for the advice Every one, Gives me some things to think about.

I am still awaiting on more photos before I set a time to meet up with him and go over the car in person..

But here are two more photos he sent me of the trunk area floor early this morning...

2011-09-09_05-42-24_35.jpg

2011-09-09_05-42-47_679.jpg