My Yello620

yello620

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a little more work today.

I had not dealt with getting a shift boot installed on it, and the smaller boot that goes from the shifter handle to the transmission is actually the top oil seal and installed with a ziptie from the factory. However, the boot was all ripped up and leaking gear oil out the top. So i ordered a new one from Nissan($11), and finally got time to install it today.

But since it was rather tight to the transmission tunnel around that boot, and i didnt want to rip/cut the new boot, I trimmed the tunnel a little bit.

IMG144.jpg

In that picture you can see my silver sharpie line on the left side. Basically trimmed the tunnel to match the larger round hole in the tunnel cover. Then i installed a good used shifter boot, the larger one that seals to the floor and shift handle.

IMG145.jpg

With that work done, I installed an adjustable cooling fan controller made by Centech Wiring(FC-2pe). This fan controller uses its own sending unit, not like those cheesy capillary tube ones that get stuffed into the radiator fins.

This controller is fully adjustable from 130*F-250*F with the twist of a knob that i can mount anywhere i want to. No more dealing with a fixed temperature switch. It has a 5-6* cooling run time.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get out to PIR tonight. Made about eight passes down the track. Traction in first and second gear is a problem. But i did manage to get a couple of decent timeslips, but still convinced i want even more power.

Best pass was a 15.694 with tire spin off the line.

Might also be worth noting that this was on crappy pump gas(87)from ARCO, and unknown mileage secondary igntion parts. As i have not installed plugs, wires, cap or rotor on this yet and they could easily have the 135k miles on them that the motor has.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Jason, Your soooo full of shit your eyes are turning brown. This truck pulls like a SOB! Finally went for a ride on Saturday. Half way through the rpm range in first he stands on it, starts to get goofy in the rear end, grabs second and it just keeps going. I can't wait for a LSD rear end to be built. frantics.giffrantics.gif

OH HELL YA BABY!!!!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So a small follow-up of the vehicle weight after the swap.

IMG_20120203_193432.jpg

This weight was with about 5 gallons more fuel that the before weight. So roughly 40lbs worth of fuel.

Went back and looked at the before weight, and it is 150lbs heavier, but 40 of that is fuel. So about 110lbs heavier than before. Not too bad at all.

And my general fuel mileage has increased from roughly 20mpg average to 23+.

Ohh, and i want more power already.

• Like 1

100lbs for that motor and tranny? awesome! Its amazing how light the VG30 is.

Consider that these are not the most accurate numbers. I am just using the local truckers scale along highway 99W. But it's free and gave me a good estimate.

This is negligible for weight, but it did get a lighter aluminum radiator with the motor swap, but this radiator holds significantly for fluid, so i would bet that the cooling system weighs about the same as it did before.

• Like 1
2eDeYe' date='05 February 2012 - 08:32 AM' timestamp='1328459566' post='627371']

Most excellent. So, I take it handling has remained awesome with the new power output? Are you thinking twin turbos ala 300zx? :D

No turbo, it will remain NA. A few things need to happen before i actually give it more power.

I need to be able to put more of the power to the ground in 1st and 2nd. An LSD should be ok for that.

And i am only content with my stopping power, if i add more HP, i will want more stopping power. And i have plan A and plan B for that already. Kinda want to skip spending the money on plan A and just do plan B though.

I noticed a small change in handling for about the first three days, then i was used to it and it all seems normal again. But, yes it changed a little.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Road trip today. Drove 401 miles in the truck today. Averaged 26 MPG going east on I84 in a really big hurry, and 26.1 MPG going west on I84 in no hurry at all.

And a couple of part numbers for my future reference. All NAPA numbers.

Lower radiator hose 7286

upper Rad hose 7432?

upper heater hose 10072

Serpentine belt 25-040430

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well now that rainy season is upon us and my wore out tires were no longer feeling safe on wet roads. So yesterday I had four new 225/50/16 Falken ze512 tires put on. Ended up very happy on the price too. :)  Drives way smoother, doesn't follow ruts in the road nearly as bad, steers way easier in parking lots and rides significantly smoother.

I got about 37K on the 225/45/16 Falken FK452 tires that were on it. Not too bad of mileage for a performance tire with me driving and the power of the VG in this little truck. :geek:

Have not been happy enough with the stopping power of this truck lately either, slightly larger tires installed yesterday certainly did not help that either. So today I removed the factory load sensing valve (NLSV) and installed the adjustable Wilwood valve that i bought last summer for this project. Bleed the entire system and pedal feel is better.

I also removed the giant rear sway bar that I installed a few years ago. No driving the crooked mountain road to work anymore, and with the power of the VG, the inside rear tire was too quick to lift and spin. Hoping this will help it a little bit, at least make it better until i can get a LSD rear end into it.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So jason with the stupid load sensing valve gone the brakes working better? you have a stock master cylinder?

Load sensing valve is gone and i am as happy as I am going to get with this system. I really don't like the design of the rear brake system.

If I keep the truck, I might consider doing something different, But I don't really have the money laying around to do what I am wanting to do. And I'm not doing only half of the system either.

• Like 1