Kyle's 521 build

Hello all. My name is Kyle I'm a friend of Laecaon. He and I just went up to Scappoose Oregon to look at a 71 521 for $500. When we got there it was a screamin deal!! New Weber 32/36 carb new timing chain, the paint was good, all the trim was great, no major rust, engine ran fine, interior was decently intact 2013 tags. The bad, windshield was cracked, a dent in the passenger door right around the handle, and it needed a little brake work, but brakes should be taken care of pretty quickly as it comes with all the parts (new line, and a caliper) I have one pic from my phone but ill be posting more soon. tell me what you think!!

521.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So yea, new weber, has a matchbox dizzy on the floor inside ready to be swapped.

Tomorrow we are going to go pick it up with our other friends flatbed, then take it over to our mechanics shop. There we will change the fluids, do a valve adjustment, tune the weber, adjust the timing, get the brakes back in working order, and finally drive it!

It was posted on craigslist without pictures. Someone else saw it today at noon or so, we were second in line and we grabbed it! Cant wait to see it on the road!

Oh and Kyle is the non old person in the first pic I posted.

And supposedly the PO changed it over to a 1 ton from 3/4 ton. They were trying to carry a camper and tow a boat. Then they determined the L16 doesnt have enough torque.

Bumperettes.

L16 exhaust manifold.

Rear view mirror.

That's worth it right there.

Score on the deal.

Good lookin truck!

I'm always excited to see another 521 end up here.

forgot the el dizzy. ;)

UPDATE;

picked up the truck this afternoon, got it back and set to work on the brakes. got those done in pretty short order. Set the timing but still having some issues, one is occasional backfire, and the other is really gassy smelling blue smoke. We turned the fuel mixture screw in all the way and it still runs a bit rich??? any oppinions on what that could be would be great. but it goes! and it stops! .... sorta. Laecaon and I are going to tighten those up tomorrow morning and mess around with the carb and valves to try and get the smoke to go bye bye.

heres an oic of loading it up, thats all for right now sorry =( ill get more tomorrow

0719111623.jpg

also, heres the kitten that fell asleep in my hat after we finished working.

07201101232.jpg

More pics from today.

Here is the tow rig. MMMM turbo diesel. This truck is quick! And makes lots of black smoke :)

We were going to use a flatbed Isuzu, but the shifter retainer is broken and you cant change gears consistently :/

SNC11108.JPG

Truck on the trailer. Looking at how best to strap it down.

SNC11109.JPG

All ready to go!

SNC11113.JPG

Farm friend and owner.

SNC11114.JPG

On the road!

SNC11117.JPG

Got a picture of the interior. Oh and damnit, forgot a pic of the dash...Tomorrow :)

SNC11121.JPG

And some horrible night shots of it driving! Brakes dont really exist, but after say 5 pumps you have a little something.

SNC11122.JPG

SNC11123.JPG

Thankfully all the electrical seems to mostly work. Left rear brake lights lights up the blinker, doesnt make the running light brighter like the right side. Right rear sidemarker is missing; Left is not turning on... But headlights/highbeams work, wipers work, turn signals work.

(And secretly, the truck is not going to be lowered.)

UPDATE; we're thinking that the blue smoke could be leaky valve seals, so those will hopefully get changed in the near future (possibly monday) brakes are still not quite there, i can get to the front brake adjusters, but the leaf springs are in the way of the others, so ill be messing with those today. New set of NGK plugs as of yesterday. Now all i have to do is give it two pumps of gas and it starts the second i hit the starter! Laecaon and I went to Sherwood Pick and Pull yesterday and I found a rear marker light and some window felt, but we didnt have a whole lot of time, so ill probably be going back later. more oics today I prommise!!

If you want an option to try before doing the seals.....Bearin' Seal by Gunk/Solder Seal...yellow bottle. It re-swells seals. I've used it for years and it's always done a great job on rigs that have either sat or don't get driving much. It won't make up for completely worn out rubber parts or bad rings, but I love the stuff.

If you want an option to try before doing the seals.....Bearin' Seal by Gunk/Solder Seal...yellow bottle. It re-swells seals. I've used it for years and it's always done a great job on rigs that have either sat or don't get driving much. It won't make up for completely worn out rubber parts or bad rings, but I love the stuff.

cool! ill certainly check it out, Im more than half tempted to just go for it anyway. Its a nice way to get farmiliar with valves. plus I'll have no excuse for not getting arund to adjusting them lol

UPDATE;

working on the brakes again today. I had the issue of one of the rear bleaders being sheered off, so I ended up just loostening the hard line and pumping it a few times lol. it seemed to do the trick, stops much better now.

0722111411.jpg

this is the other problem ive been having with the rear brakes, the adjuster is blocked by some suspension bits as the leaf springs are below the axle. I cant get a good angle with the screw driver to turn the wheel. so I may end up having to remove the springs, unless someone knows a trick?

0720111607-1.jpg

here's a picture of the dash, its got a few cracks lol, but ive seen worse.

0722111216a.jpg