Kyle's 521 build

Wow good looking truck keep up the good work.Whats the size of those wheels they look like 8",i could be wrong from this angle.

Yep! Chevy rally wheels, 15x8. They seem to be the perfect fit for 521's.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

finally got around to painting the valance, for some reason the PO painted it black after repainting the rest of the car white...

0515121420.jpg

0515121456.jpg

0515121513.jpg

all back together, I almost feel like fender mirors would look good on it in this pic, but these are my current plan

http://www.amazon.com/Peep-Mirror-LED-turn-signal/dp/B006OSWMW6

also I go biking alot and I was getting sick of my fancy aluminum bike rolling around in the bed of my truck, seemed like a bad idea, so I grabbed one of those quick release bike mounts for the bed.

0510122036.jpg

0510122042.jpg

don't know if I mentioned it before, but im trying to cover the head liner (carpet material) with velcro-backed beer bottle caps. the problem is, even with super glue they keep falling off in the heat, as-in the velcro stays but the bottle cap falls... any ideas for a better way to fasten them?

• 1 month later...

I bought a roof rack and some more lowar!

0704121647.jpg

101_1514.jpg

went to baxter too look at 3" blocks, they wanted $54, so I walked next door to the O'reilly and they wanted $34. ill take that deal!

0706121103.jpg

roof basket was $89 from fred meyer, "Highland" brand. its 44" x 35" but it comes in 3 pieces, so instead of the center section Laecaon and I put some pieces of pipe in.

0706121104.jpg

• 1 month later...

allright, finally getting around to a little paint. im doing a panel by panel rattle can job. nothing fancy

0819121719.jpg

I finally decided on this green. I think ill leave the roof white tho.

0819121803.jpg

0819121837a.jpg

Sofar the driver side door and fender are done and the passenger side is just still in primer. unfortunately ill be moving in a couple weeks, so it may take me a while to get it all done. Ill have more pics tomorrow with the door. but for now heres a random pic from my phone, it makes me lol.

0721121745.jpg

• 6 months later...

Long time no updates! All I know the truck is running and driving.

So I managed to get a good deal on a L20b shortblock (thanks Adam!) and it came with timing cover, 710 pan/pickup tube, and oil/water pumps. No dizzy shaft, so I need to find one of those...

Its about time, as that L16 is Slow! Like really slow. Like I thought there was something wrong slow.

Kyle and I havent yet discussed the plans thoroughly, but My plans knowing how Kyle likes to do things, is to do a fresh Hone job, new rings, and at least check the bearings with plastigauge. After having successfully built my motor (almost at 1 year running as DD), I feel like I know 100% what I am doing.

The Loot in the back of my wagon.

WP_000058.jpg

Im at school in corvallis and i dont have the time/space/money/weather to do anything, so shes been sitting. luckily ive had a covered parking spot for the last month or so  to get things all dried out. that said, heres a list of whats going to happen over the spring/summer;
Floor pans need some lovin and a dash of plasti-dip
New carpet
New windshield (Laecaon already found one for me:D ) and gasket
Paint and body work
Interior business (door cards, dash cap, stereo, etc.
Hopefully do a wire delete and batery re-location to the cab.
Clean up the engine bay. 
And ofcourse some sort of crazy L20 build.

• 3 weeks later...

So, working at a restaurant in a college town has its ups and downs. On the one hand, I hardly get any work at all during spring break. On the other hand, 5 day weekend!!!  Sorry for the huge dump of a post but its been a HUGE project packed into just a few days.

DAY 1

so instead of having fun I decided to do some battle with the Datsun owner’s worst enemy…. Rust. First day of the break I attacked the floorboards, moisture is leaking in from somewhere (probably windshield gasket, that’s getting changed pretty soon hopefully) =( So I stripped the interior and grabbed a sanding wheel for my angle grinder and went to town.

101_1547_zps29d7df5f.jpg

101_1549_zps2ab3d980.jpg

The previous owners were….weird and glued down the carpet with like a gallon of epoxy so that was a pain and I couldn’t get rid of all of it, but at least I got rid of the rust.  Hit it with rust neutralizing primer and a coat of Rustolium. It’s a bit dusty in the pic, but it turned out nice.

101_1558_zpsfdd07056.jpg

Day 2

The second day I decided to go for the bed, frame didn’t look too terrible from underneath but I figured ill need it off at some point for paint and what not, so it would be worth my while to have new hardware to make it easy on myself. Bed bolts….. not fun. Took me about 5 hours to just get the 10 mounting bolts. By the time the bed was off it was time to call it a day.

101_1552_zps0333eeb6.jpg

The rust looked MUCH worse from up top since that’s where all the moisture is sitting. The 2x4s are just to hold the tank up while I moved the truck.

101_1555_zps181feddb.jpg

Close-up of the rust

101_1556_zpsdc868ffe.jpg

DAY 3

Next step was to get rid of all that rust! grinder/ cup brush/ primer/ paint. Pretty straight forward.

101_1563_zpsf2769c99.jpg

101_1564_zpsc827ed0d.jpg

paint!!

101_1569_zps71229fb2.jpg

Ill get the leafs and the axle another day. I just wanted to get the frame sealed to make things nice and clean and less miserable to work on further on down the road. Again just a weekend project not a total restoration thing for now.

DAY 4

Bed. Coregated metal is sooo miserable to clean up. But I did the best I could. 

before pic with a little bit of  cleaning

101_1568_zpsc5f84c27.jpg

I don’t have an after pic, still working on it a bit more.

than this happened….

0328131625_zps105869f8.jpg

42 year old brake line decided to finally give out. Nice…. Brake fluid Messed up my nice new paint job… oh well at least it didn’t happen while I was driving! And the bed was off to make the cleanup nice and easy! Always a bright side.

Hopefully it’ll all be back together tomorrow.

best part of the day, On the phone with Laecaon  looking at the street, I see my bike riding past…. Hang up and I chase some lady stealing my Cannondale!!!! Long story short, she didn’t get far and I snagged it back. Lol, Now I’ll be a bit more paranoid about locking that sucker up than I already was haha. If she rode the other way or if I hadn’t been looking at the street, she would have been long gone. Thank God that worked out the way it did lol.

• 1 month later...

This truck may be up for sale soon. The owner has his sights on another datsun, and is going to see it tonight.

If its not gone by Canby though, I will try and get this Truck, His new datto, and my car there.