610s unite!!!!!!

bonvo

Thanks Ernie. The story was great!

My sedan will stay automatic, but because of my injury, and that it came stock with the automatic. Except, I am fabricating the mount for the 3 speed with overdrive automatic to sit in its place. If I've got to have an automatic, why not have the one to keep the revs down? I cried the day I got rid of the 5 speed, I really miss not being able to drive stick shift.

My stock in-dash tach was a junkyard pull, and as luck would have it, a heck of a find. I was trolling the yard looking for parts for my buddy's Cadillac, and we went to the import side of the amusement park. The coupe was a wrecked '74, pretty bad as I recall it now. I looked in the driver's side and saw the dash was run of the mill, until it took me that split second to realize that there was no knob sticking out of the glass on the 3rd pod...JACKPOT! I jumped into the seat, and started to remove the dash. But, wait, it was a '74...crap...different gauge color. Or so I thought. This car must have sat in a tow yard for years because the gauges were all dusty/grimy so I took my thumb and swiped off the dirt, and lo and behold, a '73 tach! Took it out, and cleaned it at the water fountain. It had some stress cracks in the glass, so I went back and grabbed the lens from the fuel/water temp side, just in case (same curvature, so I should be able to fabricate something). I went to my local speedometer calibration shop and handed it to the guy. He took it to the back for a quick check. Still calibrated! And, a bonus. They had some extra unknown lenses, and one was for a 610 tach. $5 swap, and she looked like she came right out of the box.

The 610 has been the underling, following in the 510s long heritage. Many people were disappointed when the 610 came out, or as it were, as a coming of age car. I was dating a girl once who's dad HATED me for dating his daughter. He dropped her off at my house once, and saw my 610. He asked if was mine. I said that it was. He turned off his truck and jumped out to turn wrenches with me for a bit. He told me that he had owned a nice little box-flared 510 two-door in high school. When he got his girlfriend pregnant, he had to sell off the 510 for something to "haul the kid around in" He traded the 510 in on a new 610 wagon, thinking he could *maybe* make something out it later. He divorced the girl later on and re-married, to my girlfriend's mother. Her parents were anti-import, so he got rid of the wagon, never looking back at Datsuns. He was happy to see another one on the road, and running.

I'm keeping all of the stainless trim for my sedan, and where possible, getting it re-done. Just getting it back on the road after nearly 10 years is a feat, but one that I have been happy to tackle ;)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi William,

I hope your girlfriends father had a different perspective of you once he found out the common interest you both shared!! That's a great story about your treasure hunt and the treasure you found - I share your excitement. If I'm able to acquire another hardtop, I presume I'll have to update the gauges since 610 tachometers won't be available. If only you weren't that far away I could show you how to work on your SS trim but that doesn't mean you can't!! Harbor Freight has inexpensive bench grinders - if you don't have one already, that you could change out the grinding wheel and replace it with buffs for polishing SS. If you feel like attempting it, I would be pleased to assist you with the information on how to repair and polish. I'm sure you're cognizant that there are quite a few videos online now that can show you how to do your own repair and polish with your trim.

Thanks for the reply!

Ernie

just picked this baby up!

she a '76 auto, under a 100k, bought from the 2nd owner(1st was her aunt).....wasn't supposed to run at all....but i started her twice already biggrin.gif it was having alt/battery/volt reg. problems, or something to that nature 2 years ago, and was parked. tires were a little low, so i bike pumped them up, she seems to roll just fine......lol

after i get her running for real, i plan on throwing some meshies, lower it slightly, fender flares and a nice front lip. call it my DD

P1000124.jpg

P1000122.jpg

P1000129.jpg

610interior.jpg

just picked this baby up!

after i get her running for real, i plan on throwing some meshies, lower it slightly, fender flares and a nice front lip. call it my DD

Don't go killing those fenders with a flare that would be difficult to correct later. The fenders are getting uber hard to find. You have a '76 front end, I would hunt and save for a SSS grille. Now that would set this car apart from the rest.

Are you going to buff out the paint, or run a different color?

Looking forward to watching this build. And keep posting pics. Us 610 guys like that stuff... ;)

Hi William,

I hope your girlfriends father had a different perspective of you once he found out the common interest you both shared!! That's a great story about your treasure hunt and the treasure you found - I share your excitement. If I'm able to acquire another hardtop, I presume I'll have to update the gauges since 610 tachometers won't be available. If only you weren't that far away I could show you how to work on your SS trim but that doesn't mean you can't!! Harbor Freight has inexpensive bench grinders - if you don't have one already, that you could change out the grinding wheel and replace it with buffs for polishing SS. If you feel like attempting it, I would be pleased to assist you with the information on how to repair and polish. I'm sure you're cognizant that there are quite a few videos online now that can show you how to do your own repair and polish with your trim.

Thanks for the reply!

Ernie

The girlfriend and I dated for a little while, but interests slowly went their separate ways, as things would happen. As for the tachometer, there are other ways around it. Let me know when the time comes. I used 0000 steel wool and Mothers and go a real darned nice shine out of mine. The scrapes and deep scratches only show she has some battle wounds, like me.

Don't go killing those fenders with a flare that would be difficult to correct later. The fenders are getting uber hard to find. You have a '76 front end, I would hunt and save for a SSS grille. Now that would set this car apart from the rest.

Are you going to buff out the paint, or run a different color?

How hard would it be to track down an SSS grill?.....cuz I WANT ONE!!!!!! And I know what u mean, I want some deep lip rims, but I don't want to start hacking the car apart to make it look "cool".

As for the paint....someone put a darker green over the original about 5+ years ago, and now it's starting to peel and rub off. I touch the car with my finger, and it rubs some green onto me :(

so I'm going to wash it today, go to harbor freight and get some tools, and see if I can talk to someone about a paint restorer.....if it just washes away I'll prolly not fuck wit it, cuz I live within pushing distance of a Macco paint and auto body....but I'll have more pics up later today!

Thanks for being excited about my car too! I even got my dad interested enough to go with me up to Canby this weekend!!

Looking forward to watching this build. And keep posting pics. Us 610 guys like that stuff... ;)

What size rims & tires fit well on a 610? I want a lip, but nothing overboard...any info will help me out!

got her cleaned up today between rainstorms....will wax 'er on sunday after Canby....and check out the sweet shit i found in the trunk when i was cleaning biggrin.gif

P1000142.jpg

P1000138.jpg

P1000137.jpg

P1000136.jpg

grill is coming off sunday to get extra cleaned, bumpers soon after......and how would i source some jdm chrome bumpers??

got her cleaned up today between rainstorms....will wax 'er on sunday after Canby....and check out the sweet shit i found in the trunk when i was cleaning grill is coming off sunday to get extra cleaned, bumpers soon after......and how would i source some jdm chrome bumpers??

Nice find in the trunk :)

THANK GOD you got that moss off the grille. That really made her show her age (and direction she was parked...)

As for some early style bumpers (The JDM ones are identical, you need to see a couple of things...):

(consider these notes as part of the US Specification 610 primer, part deaux)

Exhibit A: The front of the 1973 model 610 sedan has the turn signals mounted in the front bumper. The bumpers are chrome (same as in AU and JDM).

The grille shape is also different to reflect this difference. The later models have the turn signal lights directly below the headlights.

RareParts003.jpg

Exhibit B: The front of the 1976 model 610. The differences are the below headlight mounted turn signal lights, the grille shaped for these lights,

and the bumper devoid of any lighting

P1000137.jpg

Exhibit C: The front of a 1973 model 610 with SSS Grille. As you can see, the grille fits the late model fenders with the side markers at the sides

of the grille (post-'74) but needs the '73 front valence for correct fitment.

100_0383.jpg

Exhibit D: The back of the 1973 model 610 sedan. Note the chrome bumpers (same as in AU and JDM) Note the bumper mounted license plate cutout. Note the fascia around the taillights (stainless)

The lighting for the plate is from above and is integrated into the bumper. An emblem is placed where the late model license plate would be located.

Taillights001.jpg

Exhibit E: The back of the 1976 model 610 sedan has the license plate mounted between the taillights with separate license plate lights to illuminate

the plate. Bumper devoid of lights.

P1000138.jpg

So, I know what you are now thinking. What do I look for??

For the Chrome Front Bumper, get the front bumper, grille, and valence from any 1973 model 610 sedan, coupe, or wagon. Want the trifecta? Grab the fenders, too. These parts would be JDM correct (I have the brochure to prove it...)

For the Chrome Rear Bumper, you can only grab those from a 1973 model 610 sedan or coupe. The wagon bumper is worthless to a sedan. Grab the taillight fascia, as they are different as well. These parts would be JDM correct (I have the brochure to prove it...)

William should drive up to Vallejo.....

I would drive my 710 goon,,,, and we could have a "non-510" meet............. There are a few 710's and 610's up here

It would be a cool photoshoot

your around this area indy? if so swing out to suisun on thursdays for a cool meet

What size rims & tires fit well on a 610? I want a lip, but nothing overboard...any info will help me out!

im runnin 8s in the back on mine but im lowered with camber

rear fitment

rear.jpg

wow......you know your 610's......thanks for all the info!!!

do people do this swap often? i guess my question is, will i actually be able to source all the parts i need, or will it be a treasure hunt for like 3 or 4 years??

treasure hunt i looked for 3 out of the 4 years i owned the yellow car then i lucked out with the replacement car being a 73

wow......you know your 610's......thanks for all the info!!!

do people do this swap often? i guess my question is, will i actually be able to source all the parts i need, or will it be a treasure hunt for like 3 or 4 years??

You're Welcome :) I have had this car in my life for 29 of my 32 years. Lets just say I know it and 610s pretty well.

Your question is well founded. Parts are out there, you just have to know where to look. Front bumpers/ front ends are way easier to find than back ends. More grocery getters I guess you could say. Treasure hunt, you say? I liken to call it the Search for the Holy Grail. Every time I come up on a 610 in the junkyard, I can tell if its a '73 even before I get close. If the bumpers are missing, its a '73. I ordered a rear bumper from Australia once. Won the auction for $20 AU (which was about $18 US at the time) Score! Or so I thought. I priced companies to ship the thing, the cheapest I found was $450 US! I had to let it go. The best I can say is keep an eye out on CraigsList and look for people parting out 610s near you. (I got my bumper from a guy in WA that way, $60 for the bumper, $40 to ship Greyhound, and $20 for his efforts) The back bumper was from the 610 coupe I bought for the driveline, couldn't have scored a better bumper if I stole it.

Now, This is my $0.02, FWIW: Remove the front and rear bumpers, and drill a hole in the shocks that hold them. Drain the oil, and put a small bolt to act as a set screw (don't tighten it down yet). Paint the plastic ends of the bumpers flat black. That gray color looks like crap when the black fades away. Put the bumpers back on the car and push them closer to the body. This will take away the effect of them "floating" away from the front and rear. Tighten down your new set screws, and call it good until you find the bumpers you want.

That was a brilliant comparison. Still, version 1 is uncomparable!

in mew Zealand here, we have them rusting away around the trims you lot would cream over. Keep an eye on www.trademe,co.nz.

Australia is a dry climate, so also worth checking www.e-bay.com.au

@ Datzenmike 610 and 710 and NOT interchangable at all.

datsun610_lead.jpg

datsun_610_front2.jpg

Vs

Datsun_Violet_710_001.JPG

datsun_710_nissan_violet.png

You're Welcome :) I have had this car in my life for 29 of my 32 years. Lets just say I know it and 610s pretty well.

Your question is well founded. Parts are out there, you just have to know where to look. Front bumpers/ front ends are way easier to find than back ends. More grocery getters I guess you could say. Treasure hunt, you say? I liken to call it the Search for the Holy Grail. Every time I come up on a 610 in the junkyard, I can tell if its a '73 even before I get close. If the bumpers are missing, its a '73. I ordered a rear bumper from Australia once. Won the auction for $20 AU (which was about $18 US at the time) Score! Or so I thought. I priced companies to ship the thing, the cheapest I found was $450 US! I had to let it go. The best I can say is keep an eye out on CraigsList and look for people parting out 610s near you. (I got my bumper from a guy in WA that way, $60 for the bumper, $40 to ship Greyhound, and $20 for his efforts) The back bumper was from the 610 coupe I bought for the driveline, couldn't have scored a better bumper if I stole it.

Now, This is my $0.02, FWIW: Remove the front and rear bumpers, and drill a hole in the shocks that hold them. Drain the oil, and put a small bolt to act as a set screw (don't tighten it down yet). Paint the plastic ends of the bumpers flat black. That gray color looks like crap when the black fades away. Put the bumpers back on the car and push them closer to the body. This will take away the effect of them "floating" away from the front and rear. Tighten down your new set screws, and call it good until you find the bumpers you want.

i really like the idea of pushing the bumpers closer to the body, i'll have to get a more detailed "how to" from you....but my driver side rear bumper end piece is busted....can i replace it....or should i use good ol' super glue??

and all i need for this car is a passenger rear door window handle, passenger rear side marker, and a driver side's rear bumper rubber end cap.....i guess the piece i will prolly be looking for the whole time i own this car will be the chrome sideskirt cover for the passenger side....but from what i hear, i'll never find a replacement piece.....if anyone has any of these pieces, please let me know!! biggrin.gif

might be able to help with the window crank and the trim along the bottom of the doors i have the trim from shelly and the trim from the new car i know that one side from the new car was tweeked but i dont know which

Hope it's agreeable to post this here please?!

Pardon me if this has been posted already; I thought you guys might enjoy this vintage Datsun 610 Commerical: 1973 Datsun 610 - The Luxury Economy Car

Enjoy!!

Ernie

http://jalopnik.com/...ury-economy-car

LOL. I am sure it has been posted here before. Still worth it for the history lesson ;)