bonvo

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greetings!

It sure is exciting to see a group of people that have a passion for the 610. I've built a Datsun 1800/610 coupe and a couple of wagons back in the mid to late 1970's. Perhaps I may be the oldest member here - LOL!! Anyway, I hope you gents won't mind if I share my pix please?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/533149

Sure miss my Datsuns!! By the way, over here at the old "Sears Point Raceway" now known as "Infineon Raceway" they just had a Model J vintage japanese car gathering. I didn't have an opportunity to go but I'm hoping someone went and took photos of any 610's that showed.

Thanks!

Ernie

The infamous NFRA RED...Welcome to the forums, Ernie!

Of course there is the cardomain link, but I think a lot of us would like to know the more "personal" stories of this car.

Is it still around? I haven't seen it anywhere in the interwebs...

Hey so you know that vent condenser thing over the fuel tank that has a hardline running to the engine compartment. what is that hardline supposed to connect to. I currently have it connected to a hose with a bolt in it and it leaks. any ideas on fixing this properly ?

Hey so you know that vent condenser thing over the fuel tank that has a hardline running to the engine compartment. what is that hardline supposed to connect to. I currently have it connected to a hose with a bolt in it and it leaks. any ideas on fixing this properly ?

The hardline connects to the stock carburetor. I have seen a lot of people run a piece of fuel line from one fitting to the other (u-shaped loop) so it is contained. With all the hot weather lately, I can why it would be leaking.

Hi William,

I read your introduction and before I proceed any further I would like to offer my sincere "Thank you" for serving our country!! Glad to know that your injury has not hindered your passion for working on the 610. Another note is that we share a commonality more so than just the passion for the 610. On a bet that I could not make a 4 door 610 look "KOOL" - I went ahead and built a duplicate NFRA RED in a four door version!! This was back in 1978 right after I sold NFRA RED. Back then in 1978, no one could imagine a "4 DOOR!" vehicle looking "SLICK" because the attitude at that time was 4 door vehicles were thought to be "UNKOOL" . Anyway, I built the car for a customer who unfortunately, crashed and totaled the car less than a week after completion and before any photos were taken!

You can imagine my excitement when I saw your project car was a "4 DOOR"!!!!!

Now allow me to introduce myself please.

My name is Ernie - I'm of a mixed nationality - Filipino/Chinese. Grew up in San Francisco (Chinatown). I started learning to paint back in 1967 - starting with bicycles before moving on to cars. I was too young at that time to afford a car LOL!! I have been in the automotive restoration industry for over 30 years now. I worked at different restoration shops in the bay area and had a shop with someone that allowed me to partner with them for brief period at Sears Point Raceway - now known as Infineon Raceway. I'm getting close to 60 years young now!!

My forte is paintwork, though I have also done a plethora of custom bodywork and fabrication - all of my skills were self-taught but I did have some great teachers along the way. I've also been blessed to have known a couple of chemists in the automotive painting industry so I also have a technical background regarding the scientific/technical aspects of paint. I've been a tech consultant for a few websites (unofficially selected that is - LOL!" Over the years, by way of the internet, I have assisted quite a few people in providing technical information (surface rust removal and prep - priming - blocksanding info to name a few) painting their project vehicles - from Serbia, Australia, Italy, Burma and even Los Angeles - Bakersfield and San Diego - LOL!! I've also been hired by lawyers as an expert witness in automotive paint lawsuits.

I have also taught "basic bodywork and paint" classes for the hobbyist who was interested in doing their own body and paintwork. I had plans on writing a "DIY body and paintwork" along with a DVD but had a dramatic change of lifestyle.

I've written quite a few articles in regards to autobody restoration, e.g., paint stripping, surface rust preparation, polishing etc. I have had customer cars that I restored/painted, in magazines, even a front cover (!), calendars and also on the cover of a book novel.

I recently moved to Vallejo a few years ago to assist my mother in caring for my father. He suffered 4 heart attacks, 3 strokes and just recently had a leg amputated due to diabetes. So, my full time responsibility is caring for my father.

I'm glad to be on this forum and appreciate it that no one has "yelled at me" for having posted my cardomain link a few too many times - LOL!! Goes to show you how excited I am..

bonvo,

I see you're located in Vacaville - somewhat near Vallejo - perhaps we could meet and confabulate about Datsuns?! As for the rear spoiler. That was from BSR (Bob Sharp Racing) which was one piece fiberglass. I made it into a 3 piece rear spoiler and molded it in.

I've employed a few tricks on NFRA RED like a remote trunk release as one example - perhaps I might share them with those of you that might have any interest.

Thanks for your time!

Ernie

p.s. William, I'll share a few stories about NFRA RED on another post. Gotta log out for a bit!!

Hi Micro!

I'm hoping to be able to contribute a little bit since I don't have a project car right now to share. I'm glad the forum doesn't require that you own a Datsun to be member!! I'd like to add that on my cardomain link, the yellow Mazda RX7 was my car but was built as a promotional vehicle for a Japanese Alloy company just starting out in the U.S. - attempting to capture a market for their wheels. Anyone recall a company called "Hayashi Racing"? The wheels for the car were custom built for me.

My last project was in 2005(?) for a Performance Parts Store, who was the Exedy/Daiken Clutch West Coast Distributor. It was a Nissan Silvia S15 Spec R. The photo is on the internet somewhere but don't have the link. I have the magazine that debuts the car as one of the top 20(?) vehicles of the SEMA show. I've been fortunate to say that I've done 2 cars for SEMA!

Thank you.

Ernie

oh hell yes i would love to hang out and talk datto with the man who built one of my biggest inspirations :P you can see my current project and maybe give me some body work pointers (i need it bad wait till you see the hood :()

ernie,

hi! I admire the work that you have done with the datsun and the rx7. i have seen a set of hayashis here in the philippines, and they really look good! anyway, i hope we could meet someday to talk to you about the modifications you did for the datsun, especially the spoiler. see you around!

Hi William,

I read your introduction and before I proceed any further I would like to offer my sincere "Thank you" for serving our country!! Glad to know that your injury has not hindered your passion for working on the 610. Another note is that we share a commonality more so than just the passion for the 610. On a bet that I could not make a 4 door 610 look "KOOL" - I went ahead and built a duplicate NFRA RED in a four door version!! This was back in 1978 right after I sold NFRA RED. Back then in 1978, no one could imagine a "4 DOOR!" vehicle looking "SLICK" because the attitude at that time was 4 door vehicles were thought to be "UNKOOL" . Anyway, I built the car for a customer who unfortunately, crashed and totaled the car less than a week after completion and before any photos were taken!

You can imagine my excitement when I saw your project car was a "4 DOOR"!!!!!

p.s. William, I'll share a few stories about NFRA RED on another post. Gotta log out for a bit!!

Ernie,

I am flattered. It was my pleasure to serve our country, the injury was just a side effect. I blame Saddam, really...

I would have loved to see photos of the 4 door 'NFRA RED 2', but experience and motivational tips are good enough. I was fortunate enough to have purchased the 1972 JDM sales brochure, and the centerfold shot has really been my inspiration. A blue SSS sedan with all the trimmings. I can't get/have everything, and too many things have been found/discovered/stumbled upon since the days when NFRA RED was built. It would be amazing to bring that car into the 21st century! So I will be doing things to my car to honor the memory of the sedan you built. Funny, how as you were building the car in '78 I was just born in February of that same year. Coincidence? Great things come out of the 70s, I am living proof...;)

Please feel free to post here regarding anything you have done to a 610 in your illustrious career. We sit patiently like eager school children for the "story of the day". It is the knowledge of others passed down that is what we eat up around here, and someone like you must have a encyclopedia of knowledge waiting to be shared. And Thank You for the votes of confidence!

Well Thank you gents!

As I was browsing this thread i came across my pix that bonvo was nice enough to share here. I'd like to reply to the comments about the rear spoiler please.

that would be bondo magic i beleve cause i dont beleve he 610 ver came with a factory spoiler that one was probibly welded on then filled in with bond

the only things i would do differently is i would leave the bumpers chrome it would have slots instead of libres remove the rubber bumperettses frm the bumpers leave te rear emblems on it and maybe leave the j lines

As I've mentioned, the rear spoiler was a BSR (Bob Sharp Racing) one piece fiberglass. Way back - circa 1975 when I was beginning to modify NFRA RED, I went to custom body shop and asked them how much to make it a "3-piece"? The shop owner said he couldn't because it wasn't a 3 piece. I replied "Yes, but can you modify it to be a 3 piece?" He told me exasperated "No - because it isn't the right one". I made a comment that "your'e a CUSTOM bodyshop and you do custom work don't you?" I then asked "then why can you not modify this one?" He told me to leave!!

Well - very annoyed I was, because I don't like to work with "glass - irregardless - I went to the industrial hardware store, purchased "2-part epoxy adhesive" that had tremendous sheer, peel and tensile strength. I called a buddy of mine because I need his assistance to align the rear spoiler. By the time he arrived, I had the rear deck lid stripped of the trim, key cylinder, and paint where I was going to apply the adhesive, marked out the placement of the rear spoiler, as well as the edges of the quarter panels where the spoiler overlapped. I did drill two alignment holes under the deckled to secure it after the adhesive was applied.

I used a grinder with an #80 grit disc (anything coarser than this will/can damage the metal - from my experience!!) Prior to grinding the metal, I wiped everything down with a good "wax and grease remover" used for initial cleaning. (Please note: There are "wax and grease removers" for final wipe down prior to paint!!) It is not good practice to grind the metal and then wipe it down - you'll leave pockets of the degreaser in the crevices of the grinder marks and also leave all type of lint residue from the car. All are contaminants!!

So, I mix up a large quantity of the epoxy adhesive, the spoiler gelcoat surface was already abraded where adhesive and eventually filler would be applied. My buddy held the spoiler upside down while I applied a heavy coating of the adhesive. After the application of the adhesive, we stood on both sides of the car and placed in line with my markings and as my buddy held the spoiler in place I put the alignment screws in place. I shut the deckled and made sure the epoxy adhesive "squeezed out" around the entire perimeter of the spoiler. It did! I then took a squeegee and went around the spoiler to clean up the "squeeze out" and to ensure the epoxy filled any gaps. Almost keeps the spoiler clean enough to be able to apply the finishing filler instead of having to sand the epoxy adhesive which is real tough to sand and can/will ruin your efforts trying to "sculpt" the proper lines!

Next day, the epoxy had hardened and I attempted to pry the spoiler off with my hands,; the adhesion was tremendous! Then I marked my lines where I would cut the spoiler to make it into 3 pieces. I did the cut with a hacksaw. I did this because it was thin enough to cut and leave me enough lip to finish the edge that would match the deckled gap. Two quick cuts - opened the deckled - presto!!! Three piece spoiler!!

Now to address the end caps of the spoiler since the edges were now hollow! I used 2 part expandable foam - shook it real good and squeezed it into the end caps and the main body - then watched it expand and flow out! I didn't realize the mess it would create - I thought it would never stop. They were right when it stated it would expand many times the volume and to use less and more - LOL!!! It dried in a few hours and I was able slice the pieces off the spoiler. I liked the fact that it was "closed cell" and had the porosity for the filler to set into.

Everything was DA'd (DA=Dual Action Sander) using #80 paper. Now I applied "long-strand" fiberglass filler onto the end caps and perimeter edges of the spoiler. This was employed to taper the spoiler onto the body panels. After it hardened, I started to shape/sculpt the taper using #80 grit paper. Had to address a few low spots with "short-strand" fiberglass filler. Applied a "skim-coat" of plastic filler. Finished up the sanding with #180 grit paper. Masked off the back part of the car and applied multiple coats of primer surfacer.

The next day I took the car back to the CUSTOM BODY SHOP. I asked the shop owner to take a look at the car. I said "Do you remember I came by a few days ago to ask you to make a one piece spoiler into 3 pieces?" He said "Yeah, so what!" I pointed to the rear spoiler and told him this was the same one I showed him and that I just modified it to be a 3 piece. He said"How did you do that?" I told him "I tried!!!!!!" That's when he said I was lying and that I found a three piece to mold on.

I just shook my head and took off.

So, to reply, it isn't "bond magic"!

I like to shave what I refer to as "blisters" Emblems, trim, marker lights, side molding etc., but that's my style!!

As for the "J-lines" you refer to, I just call it trim, the rivet holes that retained the J-line trim, were rusted badly as well as under the trim. So, I removed it. Back then, almost all car emblems were mounted with "emblem holes" and the rear emblem location was rusted.

Someone tried a coupled of times to break into my trunk and damaged the key cylinder so I molded that out and used a cable remote trunk release from a 1977 Datsun 810. Direct Bolt-on, using only the trunk latch and the cable linkage and release lever. You will have to drill holes onto the lower sill to mount the release lever. Because the deckled was heavier due to the spoiler, I employed two 240z hydraulic struts used for the hatch. I fabricated aluminum mounts and bolted them to the trunk floor. When you pulled the trunk release lever, the rear deckled slowly raised up to the fully open position. It was quite entertaining to see the gas pump attendants watch in awe when I pulled into the station to fuel up!

Oh, I welded up the gas filler door (as you see in the side view) because I like that "smooth" look. I fabricated a new filler spout, neck and vent tube inside the trunk similar to the race cars.

Prior to the "customizing" of NFRA RED, I had the experience of seeing a few people "braille-park" and bent up my bumpers. So, though I would agree with you regarding the removal of the bumperettes - I chose to retain them in my theme because the car was my daily driver. The "blacked out" look of the bumpers was my choice because I employed the race car theme where all "sparkle" was removed. Also, the fact that my bumpers chrome was peeled, rusted, and bent, along with the cost factor of having the bumpers straightened and chromed was out of my budget.

I like to modify my project cars so that the only way another car would be similar to mine would be if he copied something I constructed.

I have plans in the future to do another 610 Coupe- if I'm able to find one.

Thanks for letting me share the info about the car.

Ernie

Hmmm - seems like I didn't copy the pix correctly?! I attempted to copy the pix (the side view and the rear view) from this part of the thread:

http://community.rat...Bunite__st__900

I presumed by copying and pasting the image address it would show up. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks!

Hi William,

I am gratified at your appreciation for NFRA RED. I was just speaking with someone I had an acquaintance with from the 70's and talking about Datsuns in general when he made a comment about how much money he made selling the Porsche 944 shifter boots and knobs that I employed on the custom aluminum console I fabricated. I laughed because I never thought anything of it - just that I didn't like the one in my car! You can get a glimpse of it on this page:

http://community.rat...Bunite__st__900

By the way, my suspension was the Datsun Comp race suspension for the 510 though the 610 kit came with aluminum spring spacers. When I built the 4-D_NFRA_RED, we used ST (Suspension Techniques) spring and anti-sway bars with KYB shocks. We also went "plus 2" back then LOL!! I'm sure you're aware of this meaning; going from the 13" rims to 15". I believe Enkei wheels were just introduced in the states and those were the wheels used on the 4D.

The bodywork on the 4D was similar, removal of "blisters= all stainless trim pieces, side marker lights, emblems etc.) except that he retained the stainless steel drip rail trim. If you're not aware, the roof and A-pillar under the drip rail trim, does not go all the way down the A-piller. On NFRA_RED, I had to fabricate a drip rail extension of the factory butt seams in order for the car to retain the "continuity" with the removal of the SS trim. He also didn't want the fuel filler door removed but did like the trunk key cylinder shaved and employed the trunk cable release. The 4D had the same 3-gauge dash pod with aluminum filler plate mounted on the passenger side just like NFRA_RED.

His car was an automatic and left it as such so his wife could also drive the car. Oh! He also didn't want louvers punched into the hood like NFRA_RED had. Other than that, if you saw the two cars side by side, they looked very similar. Same paint scheme. The color red I painted the car with was the paint formula off of a 1977-78 Lincoln Mercury Capri - RED!

Just little nostalgia - The 610 tach I had was given to me by Mr. MacLean Tilton of the renown "Tilton Engineering" back in El Segundo, CA. I had driven down from SF to pick up my engine block and steel flywheel which I requested to be lightened. When I arrived and was gathering my parts, I inquired as to the flywheel. Oop! Someone forgot! Mac was little annoyed that someone hadn't remembered to lighten the flywheel - so, he asked if I could hang out for a while (couple of hours - LOL!). Well, Mac personally machined me a brand new aluminum flywheel and since "I was inconvenience" he thought to give the me last remaining Datsun Comp Tach for the 610. Talk about being blessed - what a gift!! I had to ask why? He told me he was clearing out his Datsun inventory because he was getting heavily into providing racing parts for NASCAR and F1!!!

So, if anyone comes across NFRA-RED, with the L20B motor I put together along with the aluminum flywheel - it's got some sentimental value - at least for me!

I had a 5-speed in my car taken from a 200SX, that employed the "racing shift pattern". At least that's what it was called back in the 70's. It where reverse is where 1st gear would normally be, and 1st gear is located where 2nd gear would normally be. Talk about grinding gears - LOL!! Took me a bet to get acclimated to the shift pattern - LOL!! My acquaintances figured I just didn't know how to drive - being asian and all - LOL!!! The Zcars with the 5-speed trans were still too new to be available at the salvage yards, which is why I went with the SX trans.

NFRA_RED seems to be the most memorable car for me, speaking with all my acquaintances that have seen the car in it's completion. I've always loved the 610's and as you can tell from my cardomain link, I really like the long roof wagons! The panel wagon I built was due to the fact the rear window area under the weatherstripping were rusted thru and the side rear window weatherstripping was no longer available anywhere! I've always liked panel wagons so I built one!

My previous 610 wagon, I never took photos of. I hardly took any photos of my project cars - my wife counted them out, and I have been fortunate to have had over 40 projects car in my lifetime - so far - LOL!!! She asked me why I never took photos, I informed her that I never felt my work was worthy of a photos.

Fortunately, my customers have blessed me with photos of their award winning cars and such. I have also been blessed to come across people like you William and the other great guys on the 610 forum that share a common passion - the 610! Highly under-rated for so many years. When I built NFRA-RED after I sold my 240Z, 1200 and 510, many people never thought it could be changed so dramatically. Many people couldn't-wouldn't believe NFRA_RED was a Datsun - LOL!! One of my pupils had his father drive him to my class in their B210. As his father pulled up, he asked what kind of car NFRA_RED was, he replied it was a Datsun! My pupil told me that his father said "that isn't a Datsun! They don't look like that!" LOL!!

Just thought I'd share a few things that I can remember - LOL!!

Thanks again for allowing me to share some info.

Ernie

oh hell yes i would love to hang out and talk datto with the man who built one of my biggest inspirations :P you can see my current project and maybe give me some body work pointers (i need it bad wait till you see the hood :()

Hi bonvo!

Would you mind if I ask you what your first name is please?

Do you ever come to Vallejo? I know I'd enjoy looking at your project 610.

Thanks,

Ernie

my first name is jon and im not in vallejo to often but it is close enough that i can head there whenever im bored you would definatly see it considering its my daily here is a link to my build thread im not sure if you have seen it yet

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3434-610-street-demon-resurection/

Nice throw some pics up when ya get it home, Whats the plans?

Hoping to pick it up friday, will post pics when i do.

not sure what im gonna do with it, i got it mainly for a couple of badges and the black interior but its got nice suspension and my mate wants one too now.

its probably gonna get all the bits i dont want for my blue one and move onto him, i dont have room for another car on my block at the moment anyway...

hey guy i just got a 610 of my own and i was wondering if anyone have parts i really need some badly mostly the rear bumber and some trim around the window thanks guy

pics and we might be able to assist