77 b210

i bought home a 1977 B-210 hatchback today. i have never seen one in person until i saw this one. i don't think there are that many around the atlanta area at least. the previous owner just left for the marines. the engine is in very good shape, tons of new parts. the po had been fixing it up for a while, but i guess never got around to really driving it. the only problem is he didn't put the tranny back in after putting in a new clutch. i can't wait to hook it up, i have never drove a dogleg before. i want to put a ka in but for now i think i am going to take advantage of the gas milage and use it as a commuter.

DatsunB210001-1.jpg

DatsunB210002-1.jpg

DatsunB210011-1.jpg

DatsunB210006-1.jpg

Edited by Phlebmaster
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sweet.

There's not many of those around...period!!

Had a '76 we loved....would like to get one again someday. I think you'll find that most of the front end brake upgrades that work for the 510(ie 280zx), will also work for your B'. :)

wow those pics came out huge. i'll try to resize them , but not really sure how.

it is really weird seeing that car in my driveway. i want so many different cars and i never really thought i'd own a b210. esp. the orange 5 speed from the thifty fifty ads! it looks exactly like the one from those ads.

I like the look of the stock bumpers, but they stick out too far! I drilled holes in the bumper shocks to release the pressure, then kicked them in about 2-3in. They look WAY better that way(In my opinion) I also put self tappers in the shocks after sinking the bumpers to lock them in.

Here are pictures of my 79 before and after I sumk mine. Wish I had a better before pic so you could really see how far they went in. I am planning on cutting off the lip on the bottom of the grille to show more of the top of the front bumper.

unsunkbumperfront.jpg

sunkbumperfront.jpg

Ah, a 5-speed model. That was the economy model, it got about 45 mpg for 1976 (50 mpg in 1978). It has the low-power A14 engine. Or "had" since from the photos it looks like a newer engine has been swapped in, probably a JDM used import engine from the looks of it. So now you probably only get 40 mpg, yikes with the price of gas who can afford it. If you swap the cam and heads to the original type you will save money on gas.

Looks odd without a bumper?

Originally Posted by mklotz70

We all have datsuns, but only a few of the guys on here actually eat or sleep, the others breathe many. I love art too, but Datsun comes first. The datos are many canvas for now.....that canvas might change, but many datson will continue

hmmm. aussie bumper? i will have to check those out. so it looks like a new motor? why do you say that? i guess that would be cool if it was done right.

so i have the tranny back in but i ran into a problem. i cannot get the clutch cable to to go in. please try to excuse me but i don't know the proper name for things. ok so where the cluch cable connects to the piece that comes out of the tranny(circled } i need the arm thing to slide back so i can bolt on the clutch cable. any tips? if i connect that i am on the road. i got it insured and everything. sorry if this is totally dumb, but i have never done a trans before. i have done everything else but the driveshaft. thanks here's the picture

aaa003.jpg

There is no clutch cable. Instead it uses a hydraulic system: in the photo you are holding the slave cylinder. That should be connected to a rubber hose and eventually up to the clutch master cylinder.

The piece sticking out of the tranmission is the Clutch Release Lever. There should be a hole in it, stick the slave's rod into the hole and bolt down the slave.

You will *probably* need to back off the two nuts on the threaded rod to get clearance enough to bolt it on.

Here's a diagram of the B110 system, it's almost identical to your B210 system:

539.jpg537.JPG

Hydraulic clutch

so i have the tranny back in but i ran into a problem. i cannot get the clutch cable to to go in. please try to excuse me but i don't know the proper name for things. [/img]

If that's all the trouble you had you'll do fine :D

so it looks like a new motor? why do you say that?
Because I saw that the valve cover was black. Only newer engines (90s, up to 2008 models) came with a black cover. Also it looked like the carb and manifold didn't fit quite right.

but looking closer, I can see somebody spray painted it the valve cover, you can see blue on it. Also it seems they removed some emission controls.

Conclusion: It's probably the original engine.

For the gearbox filler (square plug), use a 9/16" wrench. If it is stuck, often we have to use a pipe wrench to get it off, sometime with an extension (pipe) to get more torque.

When filled, put anti-seize on the threads and don't tighten very tight...

It's never a bad idea to break the fill/drain plugs on the transmission loose whilt the tranny is out of the car. This allows you to use a much bigger "Pipe of Persuasion" but you'll probably need a friend or two to keep the tranny from spinning on the garage floor

It's never a bad idea to break the fill/drain plugs on the transmission loose whilt the tranny is out of the car. This allows you to use a much bigger "Pipe of Persuasion" but you'll probably need a friend or two to keep the tranny from spinning on the garage floor

i broke free the wrong one when it was out. so i had the right thought, just the wrong plug. i am going to try a couple different pipe wrenches today. if the wife and kids give me minute.

Tips:

* Make sure you turn it counter-clockwise to remove

* Use a big pipe on the handle to give you leverage

* Make sure it is the right plug

* A smaller pipe wrench, maybe 10" should fit good.

You can also fill the transmission (slowly) through the shifter hole, however you won't know when it is full since the filler plug doubles as the fluid level hole.

Tips:

* Make sure you turn it counter-clockwise to remove

* Use a big pipe on the handle to give you leverage

* Make sure it is the right plug

* A smaller pipe wrench, maybe 10" should fit good.

You can also fill the transmission (slowly) through the shifter hole, however you won't know when it is full since the filler plug doubles as the fluid level hole.

well i am sure i'm going counter clockwise, and i am sure it the right plug. i think i will try puttting it though the shifter hole. it's about my only option now. i have pretty much turned the square bolt into a circle.

Take out the reverse light switch and fill it from there. On the newer trannys its about the same level as the fill hole so you won't over fill it. Then drive it to a Jiffy lube and have them loosen it for you.