77 b210

finally got here runnin last night! filled it though the speedo hole. it was so obvoius but it was my first time working with a transmission. it is faster than i thought it would be. it's no race car but its peppy. and driving a dogleb is crazy. i keep trying for to downshift in second and almost going into first. so it runs reat, now on to cosmetics. i have a few sets a wheels i am going to try out, and a major buffing is in the near future. and i want to do something with the front bumper.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OH YEAH FELT GREAT!!!! what is funny, is that i have been a huge fan of datsuns forever, but this was the first time i drove or rode in one!

Because I saw that the valve cover was black. Only newer engines (90s, up to 2008 models) came with a black cover. Also it looked like the carb and manifold didn't fit quite right.

i was trying to explain to some friends how the motor is from the 90's. kinda weird to think about. so is it the a15 more likely? stock would have been a14 i believe from research.

but looking closer, I can see somebody spray painted it the valve cover, you can see blue on it. Also it seems they removed some emission controls.

Conclusion: It's probably the original engine.

whoops i ment to commit on how stange it was that this motor is from the 90's. after the quote above.

so it started it's new life as a DD gas saver. one problem. the drivers seat is so uncomfortable. i think it housed a fat man for years, the springs are all crazy. anyone got any idea for stockish seat swap. manely easily bolted up. i doubt many peaple would know, but maybe Pumpkin will.

Use a Mustang GT seat. Works a treat, they have a flat underside which makes it easy to adapt.

There are no "good" stock seats that fit. They are all lightweight and not very supportive. Of course most of us Ratsuns like it that way.

Only problem: if your B210 has/had a catalytic converter the shape of the driver's side seat and floor are different. Do any of the underhood stickers say "California"? Those are the ones with catalyst 1976-1978.

Well, I'm not sure about the b210 for seating, but I swapped a set of Geo Metro seats into my old 280z. The old seats were not comfortable at all, and while walking through the junkyard, my girlfriend actually pointed them out. I was looking for something "sporty" looking, but comfortable. Never would I have thought that a Geo Metro seat would have been what I was looking for..

gmseats4.jpg

Surprisingly, they were a perfect fit.

The geo seats had a flat underside also, but were narrow enough that they would fit in the Z. If I remember right, the bottom bolsters couldn't be wider than 22" to fit. Obviously thats a little different than a b210, but it's something to go off of.

Basically all I had to do was get a couple pieces of flat bar that were drilled out, and bolted to the bottom of the Geo seats. Then drill & tap the flatbar out to accept the Datsun sliders on the bottom... The flatbar was .250x1.00" steel. If/When I get another Z car, I'll definitely find some more Metro seats!

Use a Mustang GT seat. Works a treat, they have a flat underside which makes it easy to adapt.

There are no "good" stock seats that fit. They are all lightweight and not very supportive. Of course most of us Ratsuns like it that way.

Only problem: if your B210 has/had a catalytic converter the shape of the driver's side seat and floor are different. Do any of the underhood stickers say "California"? Those are the ones with catalyst 1976-1978.

it states on the drivers visor that the car is equipped with a catalytic convertor. i thought that was kinda odd, that it would say that. the passenger seat it still comfortable, it's just the drivers had had alot of sitting time on it i think. one more thing not making it the best daily, is the lack of heat. i guess the lines aren't hooked up. nocticed that his morning because it was cold. that means it was like 35 degrees. hey i'm from GA, that's really cold to me! i am still enjoying the hell out of driving it in. i love the stange looks.

After seeing the bumper job DatsunFreak did to his 610, I think yyou should look into a 510 bumper. I'd love to see this car with a nice low profile bumper.

Maybe we can hound him into telling us how he did it :D

2eDeYe;44291']After seeing the bumper job DatsunFreak did to his 610' date=' I think yyou should look into a 510 bumper. I'd love to see this car with a nice low profile bumper.

Maybe we can hound him into telling us how he did it :D[/quote']

510 bumper, good idea. i didn't see datsunfreaks. i will have to search his posts.

edit-found it, that is hot. how long is a 510 bumper? maybe i could do it with a 620 bumper also? at least i can measure that at home. i guees it all in the letch and curve of the bumper. and then figuring out how to mount it.

so i plan on putting my snowflakes on this weekend. they need new tires, not sure what size i will go with yet. i was thinking that they may stick out some. i might need fender flairs to run them. and finding flairs that fit a 210 might be hard. i can't seem to figure out what the offset is on these rims. does anyone know? here is picture of them on the old Z. i have repainted them alloy.

280zx-1.jpg

i also have a real nice set of mesh racing hart 18" that would fit. {the lugs at least} but i don't know if i want to go that big.

I'm geleous;)

since I've had and rode in alot of D's I'll have to let it go:)

Looking good :thumbup:

you should have come and grabed it when i was all freaked about the code inspectors. the bumpers?lack of bumoers would drive you crazy anyway. i don't know what to do with them.

Not sure what it looks like in the back with no bumpers?

but for the front I would run a HUGE! well at least LONG! aluminum oil cooler and some Long braided lines.

No one would ever notice that the bumper was gone.:lol:

oilcooler.jpg

some of them look absurd with the lines all floppy. This 1's not bad.?

paint everything behind the grill matt black. Not flat. maybe some small driving lights in the round frame holes?

OR..... A HUGE!! external intercooler.?? cours you gotta back that up.

• 1 month later...

the B210 is doing great. it has acually become a family car! the wife's buick broke down a couple of weeks after i got it and we have be driving it everywhere. it was really lucky that we had anything to drive, we sure didn't buy it for that reason. we look hilarious cruisin around with 2 baby's in the back. it has run perfect, the only problem seems to be the choke, it takes forever to warm up and you have to keep reving it or it will die. but after it's warm it runs good.

2eDeYe;56921'']Buy your wife that one and ditch the buick :)

tried that already, she wasn't too keen on it. the buick has a magnet missing off the camshaft. after weeks i have figured out thats what it is. now why would a camshaft need a magnet? stupid buick.

so i have been considering a motor swap since i got the car. maybe not real soon but i want to start planning. i have pretty much decided on just a simple L series swap with some side draughts or something. i would like the ka but i think the L would be cheaper and easier, and it would still run hard. so i have been searching for dogleg info. at first i thought my stock dogleg would bolt right up but now i think i'm wrong. according to some post i found it is a much smaller version of the DL. is there any chance of keeping the tranny i have? i really don't want to get into custom driveshafts and all, but if it's my only option. i really don't want to get a bigger motor but drop down to a 4 speed. thanks