Trolling and teh lolz 2.8

jalen

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey buddy trust me with the harnesses, your gonna want an actual harness bar that goes across both strut towers and comes out toward the front a little so that the adjustments on the shoulder straps dont snap your caller bones if and when you smash this thing into a wall. ive been around harnesses since i was about 10yo with dragracing and off roading to know that those adjustment brackets can eff your shit up if your not careful.

Everyone,

please please take heed to these words...comming from another ex-racer of in car crashes, DO NOT mount upper shoulder mounts 45 degrees lower then seat shoulder harness holes. I know many people run 5 point harnesses and just have a bar, but if you ever roll over.....your head will support the weight of the car if the roof and pillars dont stop the impact. That being said, if your running a harness, highly consider running some type of cage as well...if not your sorta defeating the purpose.

There is two alternatives as well. If your not going to run a cage....there is a belt that has the shoulder harnesses tying together to one, with a male end of a standard belt latch on it. It pilugs into a retractable female end, which you can mount behind the seat. So with this set up you dont need a cage, due to the fact the shoulder harness portion is retractable. Mind you it can be locked into place if so deisred, but when its not you can still reach the raido, lights and the dash...which is nice. Two companies make them....Corbue...and dont remember the other one...and I spelt the first one wrong...Ill try and find pics of my camaro with them in there.

%3ca%20href=seats20inside.jpg"

%3ca%20href=seat20lat.jpg">

%3ca%20href=tray2.jpg">

%3ca%20href=tray20r.jpg">

^ Yeah those springs will launch off if you don't use spring compressors. The factory springs aren't like coiloivers. When they are put onto the car they are compressed within the strut as a set (hence the entire thing moves when you turn the nut holding them down.) If they come loose or strip the threads and you're in the way, well, it's like a rocket aimed at you. If your fingers are in the springs when they do that you might as well say goodbye to them....

Or do the Skib method (Heard it from him first. You should be able to turn the nut fine though... But just turn it keeping an eye on it. As you know you are close to the end of the threads, stand away and just keep barely kicking the wrench and running away at the same time. It is scary. And its still not super safe to do it on the car, but would make things easier/less likely to kill you.

Rent some spring clamps from an auto parts store. Or take it to les Schwab. My ZX struts had a flat side that matched a flat side in the top hat. Made it so you could turn the bug and the strut would stay put. Maybe yours do too but it only works in the car.

Flat spots up top. But these are Rabbit or MR2 inserts so they were slightly bigger.

c03b3404.jpg

Or do the Skib method (Heard it from him first. You should be able to turn the nut fine though... But just turn it keeping an eye on it. As you know you are close to the end of the threads, stand away and just keep barely kicking the wrench and running away at the same time. It is scary. And its still not super safe to do it on the car, but would make things easier/less likely to kill you.

I'll just mount them back up, through some compressors on there and unscrew it. My brother tried this idea and it scared the shit out of him.

So I would by the clamp mount it above the perch and drop the springs in?

[ quote name=FiveTenzo' date='21 February 2012 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1329857259' post='639902]

buy some ring clamps and put them really low?

0c6e_1_bo.JPG

Coil%20Over%20Struts%20Installed%20003.jpg.opt933x699o0,0s933x699.jpg