The Killer B...

For years I've had a succession of vintage Datsun daily drivers, mostly 510s, 610s, 280Zs and 210s. Always thought about a B210, but just never found the right one. I was in the market recently for a "new" one, so while cruising craigslist I happened upon this one...

b210_002s.jpg

b210_006s.jpg

b210_010s.jpg

Gotta love the homemade console... :P

b210_008s.jpg

Decent body, very little rust (no holes), solid engine, only problem was it's a slushbox (soon to be corrected). Brought it home about 3 weeks ago. When I went to pick it up the battery was toast, so we replaced that. Then somewhere on the drive home the starter died, replaced that (what have I got myself into :huh: ), got lucky and found a Nissan reman starter at a FLAPS. Ran like shit on the ride home because the PO "fixed" the stock carb. Went through my parts stash and found a good 1200 carb, swapped in the B210 jets, runs awesome now.

After the first week the alternator dies (is the electrical system cursed? :P ), ditched it and the external regulator for a "racing" alternator. Half the weight of the stock unit, puts out more amps (55amp), and only one wire to hook up. :cool:

Best of all? Straight bolt-on holmes.

normal_photo2.jpg

While doing the alternator swap I inadvertently leaned on the stock plastic 4-blade fan and one of the blades snapped off. Seriously? :unsure:

Lucky I had the BIG 7-blade 620 fan in my stash...

photo1.jpg

Called a buddy and found a stock shroud (no pic), and miraculously it fit around the bigger 620 fan. :)

Next day after the alt/fan swap, the turn signals quit working (yes, it's cursed :D ). Spend half a day figuring that out and rewiring it (no power to the switch). Figured while everything is working for once I better rush down and get an inspection sticker put on it.

All is well, get the sticker, then driving home from the inspection station I hear a loud grinding sound from the front wheels. Jack it up and take the wheels off and the brakes are metal to metal, no pad left AT ALL. :blink:

Just happened to have a new set of 610 pads (same as 710, 210, B210, HL510, etc). Swapped those on and it stops okay now, but panic stops are kinda scary. :blink:

After that, I decided I could afford to spend a little time on some cosmetic upgrades.

Picked up a GX steering wheel on ebay to replace the stock "Starship Enterprise" tiller...

normal_crap_001.JPG

And painted the window frames black...

blackout.JPG

After a few days I begin to notice an odd smell from the left front wheel after long drives. Turns out that "over-extending the pad life" took its toll and the left front caliper is now sticking when you make a hard stop. Takes another 3-4 minutes of driving to "unstick".

Got so hot it turned that rotor black. :lol:

normal_crasp_004.JPG

Now if you know me, you know that usually when something like this is fucked, that means it's not time to fix it. It's time for an "upgrade". I mean why put the stock shit back on? :D

Got some '82 280ZX struts/brakes from the local all-Nissan junkyard, and got busy.

normal_crasp_005.JPG

After bleeding them, I cleaned them up and shot some flat black everywhere to make it look a little better. ;)

Now since doing the brake upgrade, and lowering it about 3-4" in the front, the stock wheels don't fit any more. Again a trip to craigslist netted me some 14x7 -9 Rewinds from a local drifter (car drifter, not transient homeless person). after a stout fender roll/pull, they are on.

normal_crasp_010.JPG

I still need to lower the back (a lot), but it's getting there. :cool:

normal_crasp_006.JPG

normal_crasp_008.JPG

• Like 1
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phase #2 is already under way. :cool:

Next weekend should get the rear lowered and stiffened a bit.

Whilst cruising ebay Australia, I found a junkyard near Sydney that was parting out a B210 (120Y there, and seemingly a dime a dozen) that was hit in the front. Kindly asked a buddy who lives in Sydney if he would swing by and inquire about the rear bumper from the car. $80 later and it's mine. :)

normal_Radduct046.jpg

That sorted and one the way here, I happened to mention the B210 project to a friend who just got back from a 2-year Air Force hitch in Okinawa, Japan. He says, "hey I brought some B210 parts back with me, probably not going to use them." So I says "ORLY?" :P

Turns out he had a clean Sunny grill and front bumper. No lights, but I found out that 1200 turn signals are identical to JDM B210 turn signals. And I gots plenty of 1200 parts. :cool:

DSC00450s.jpg

Those will be on the way to me soon. Once the rear is down, the small bumpers are on, and I'm rocking the JDM Sunny grill, I think I'll be satisfied with it.

For now... :P

That KA24E collecting dust in the corner is awfully tempting... :lol:

• Like 1

ANYway THAT post was DELETED!!!????!??!!???? WTF????

It wasn't purposely deleted. :P

Like a dumbass, I accidentally made two threads for this. I asked a Mod to delete the other thread. You posted it in that thread. Not this one

So to preserve your comment for posterity, I quoted it, and cut-pasted it into this thread. Calm. :cool:

...I was hoping it was going to be a pic heavy post about that yellow one in your avatar... But this is still pretty damn cool, Im digging it. :cool:

Dont the automatics have a bigger tranny tunnel and arent they the same length as a z car 5 speed?

...I was hoping it was going to be a pic heavy post about that yellow one in your avatar... But this is still pretty damn cool, Im digging it. :cool:

Well, I'm hoping some day my car looks like the one in the avatar. Sorry to tease. ;)

Dont the automatics have a bigger tranny tunnel and arent they the same length as a z car 5 speed?

Yep. That's part of the reason I bought it. Automatics suck, but the B110 and B210 have criminally small transmission tunnels. Unless you start with an auto. :cool:

My B110 Sunny is an ex-auto car, and this one will be soon.

And to be less of a tease, here's some pics of my dream car:

30ib060.jpg

2pq43o1.jpg

Sweet looking car, with that grill/bumper package it will look freakin' awesome, :thumbup: I just lust after those bumpers something fierce. :rolleyes:

Also exactly what did you need to do the brake upgrade? Did you just swap in the B210 spring and cup, and flip the caliper orientation?

I just lust after those bumpers something fierce. :rolleyes:

They aren't that expensive, ya know... ;)

Heck, I found a place that sells the front bumpers new for $100.

Also exactly what did you need to do the brake upgrade? Did you just swap in the B210 spring and cup, and flip the caliper orientation?

Here's how I did this one and two others (I have talked all 3 of my B210 buddies into 280ZX brakes swaps). FYI, This is the no/low budget approach. :P

remove struts/brakes from B210

Remove the 280ZX spring and upper bits, remove the same bits from the B210 struts

Cut the top half of the B210 spring cup off (the bit welded to the strut tube)

Put it inside the 280ZX spring cup (weld it on if you like, but don't have to)

Cut the B210 spring down to 5.5 coils (to replicate my ride height)

Install cut spring and B210 upper bits onto 280ZX struts

Bolt back into car, preferably using the 280ZX rubber brake line

Bleed brakes and have fun

On to part #2...

A common problem with the 280ZX strut swap is people complaining that the caliper hits the steering tie rod ends when the pads wear down. This is bad. When the pad wears down past half way the brakes stop working.

Seemingly unknown to a lot of folks is that the left and right side struts are identical except for where the caliper mounts. So we thought, why not install the left on the right, and the right on the left? Works perfectly fine and now I can run my pads all the way down. :P

• Like 3

They aren't that expensive, ya know... ;)

Heck, I found a place that sells the front bumpers new for $100.

Info please! Everything I had seen was in the $3-400 range, which is alot harder to justify to the wife :lol:.

Here's how I did this one and two others (I have talked all 3 of my B210 buddies into 280ZX brakes swaps). FYI, This is the no/low budget approach..... ...

Excellent, that's kinda how I thought it would go, I just hadn't seen a step by step for anyone who had done it on a B210 without the coilovers. I already have the ZX struts, I just wanted to make sure I had a clear plan of action before I started cutting up the B210 struts. Thanks!

Info please! Everything I had seen was in the $3-400 range, which is alot harder to justify to the wife

AutoLet in Thailand has a few for around $100.

http://www.autoletparts.host.sk/Total14.html

DSCN6031.jpg

Excellent, that's kinda how I thought it would go, I just hadn't seen a step by step for anyone who had done it on a B210 without the coilovers.

FYI, the same method applies basically any 4cyl Datsun except the 1200. That's a little more involved. ;)

Sweet B210 DF! The quest for the small bumper car is complete! You know we talked about making molds forever now {hint hint} But at $100 from the link you posted i can just do that. Going to look sweet with that grill also, you won't have to run 4 turn signals now!

The super bee decal with killer bee name would look good with that yellow paint. Are you going to have any stripes on the car? I think The superbee had a stripe around the trunk that might look good on your car.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet B210 DF! The quest for the small bumper car is complete! You know we talked about making molds forever now {hint hint}

Yeah, that will still happen.

Plan now is to put them on as is. Then when the car goes in for paint later in the year, I'll get them straightened and rechromed, then make molds from them before they go back on. ;)

For the rear spoiler try fiber glass on the stock metal thing on the rear bumper. Same size as trunk lid and similar shape. Let me go take a picture to show whet I mean

I know exactly what you're talking about, but that trick only works with the hatchback. <_<

Sedan has a totally different (and very oddly-shaped) rear bumper filler.

Plus side is that on both sedan and hatchback, if you section 4-5" out of the front filler, it makes a neat front spoiler. :cool:

normal_little_wiggly_005.JPG

• Like 1