Epic Ratsun Repairs

Today my bro was driving down from Portland so him and I could investigate a vibration he had in his 521. At about 1:30 he called me and left a message saying he found the cause of the vibration and that I should call him ASAP. I also heard traffic in the background.. not good. :(

I got on the horn and called him up, he was on the side of the 5 near Canby and had pushed his truck off the 5 to the exit. Apparently, his driveline bolts(front) had all come loose, and the last one finally gave way as he was cruising down the freeway. With a loud BANG, he coasted his powerless 521 to the side of the highway. Looking down, he saw a giant hole where his shifter tunnel used to be. It wasn't hard to figure out what had gone awry.

Using a section of welding rod he had handy, with a pair of vice-grips, he fastened the driveline and the output shaft of the transmission by running 4 segments of shortened rod through the bolt holes. The pivot by which the shifter moves atop the monkey-motion 4-speed had also cracked into two pieces, so he used the vice grips to hold the two pieces in place as he drove. From there, he was able to get to a parts place by limping his poor Datsun in first gear all the way from the I-5 to Canby. Once there, he was able to pick up 4 bolts and use a hiding pair(under the seat) of needle nose pliers along with the vice grips to tighten the bolts. He got to my shop at about 5'o'clock(an hour and a half drive from Canby), and here are some pics that I took. The carnage, although grizzly, wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been had that crossmember not been engineered into the design of the champion of mini-trucks.

Photo1014.jpg

And here's a glory shot of the wound, along with the implements of construction.

Photo1015.jpg

Even though he's not a part of our community, my brother is Ratsun to the core! Today, he makes me proud! :crying:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming a 27" diameter tire, 4th gear, 4.375 diff and going 50mph, that drive shft is spinning at over 2,700 rpms!!!!!!!! That's a lot of stored energy trying to come through the floor near your ass!!!!

Ask Icehouse how he felt when his tranny and d/s disintegrated under him.

transicehousetrannydisaster.jpg

Assuming a 27" diameter tire, 4th gear, 4.375 diff and going 50mph, that drive shft is spinning at over 2,700 rpms!!!!!!!! That's a lot of stored energy trying to come through the floor near your ass!!!!

HoryShet.jpg

Dude your bro is part Ratsun part Macgyver!!!!

Mike that was Countries DL and tranny on our trip to Shasta in 06 what ever the last year of it was.

Holy hell man how did that not tear into his leg or something? Did just the spinning driveshaft do all that damage? Was there shrapnel?

I have no idea. Someone's lookin' out for him. :) It could have easily done that same number on his leg that it did to the tranny tunnel. Somehow, there was no shrapnel.

so why is your bro not on here??

He loves his Datsun, but I'm not sure if he's as much of a lunatic as the rest of us :lol:

Dude your bro is part Ratsun part Macgyver!!!!

Here's what he did to fix the broken shift lever.

Photo1019.jpg

Photo1020.jpg

He drilled a hole in each of the broken pieces, and then made up a couple plates to act as a splint. One on each side, a bolt through the hole in each piece.

Oh, and just so no one has to ask :fu: here it is:

Photo1016.jpg

Photo1017.jpg

He just moved to Portland, so if you see him, hassle him about Ratsun :D

Jesus!

what the hell happened there Jeff!? :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I remember one time I was leaving PIR after one of the Ratsun meets when my throttle cable snapped. I didn't have a phone at the time and I don't know why I was the last person of the crew to leave but, I ended up using vice grips to hold the rest of the cable to the linkage. That was a sketchy 20 miles back home.