tires

i think we need a thread to talk about tires, with so many brands sizes and ratings out there its hard to make a choice. its time for me to buy a new set so i can finally run my titan wheels, im looking at the federal ss595 and also the nankang ns-II the nankang is a bit more money but seems to be about a 3rd better on the wear rating, obviously my 620 doesnt go much past 100 so any speed rating is irrelevant. Have any of you run the federal ss 595? they seem to be decent tires and they are designed for drifting and have really good grip. help me decide which ones to buy! (225 40 18 size) the nankang are more expensive but shipping is free so im looking at about 380 for the federals and 340 for the nankang tires, which would you buy? and if you have any good places to buy tires also list them here, feel free to make a review on any tires you have used or question some you would like.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Federal is a second-class tire. Nankang is a budget tire. The first-class tires are michelin, pirelli, goodyear, etc.

I would look for an AA rating (A wet traction + A heat rating). Even though you don't drive fast, these tires will last much longer than BB tires.

Wear Rating is the last thing I look at. I won't buy tires with a high wear rating. 80k mile tires are hard, 20k mile tires usually grip awesome.

I'm running Yokohoma Advan A0048Rs, 20k rating -- had 'em for three or four years and they are just starting to show some wear on them.

I've heard good things about nankangs, apparently they are better than most budget tires. I'm considering a set. I already have the expensive rally tires.

If money is no object, go for superb street/race tires like the better Yoko "R" tires or performance Michelin's . Michis historically have the best wet traction rating compared to other brands.

Dislexic dime has some on his 510 he said they are ok but don't hook up to great

Nankoks suck who ever told you they are good has never owned a good tire. They are so hard it feals like you are driving on ice in the rain.

I have the cheep kumo ecstas they are ok for dd but slodat has the expensive ecstas ad they grip like a mofo .

I would look at super steels kuhmo"s. And falcon 912's for cheap daily tires

This is probably a silly ass question(especially for this crowd),but has anyone used Kumhos in "normal DD usage"?

I just put a set of ecsta xs's on my car. They are supposedly the hot tire in the street tire auto-x classes. Coming from Falken Azenis RT615, I have noticed a slight improvement in cornering grip, especially in sweepers. I am happy with their performance. Most likely not going to be the best rain tire though. I expect to get 10-15k miles out of them. Not alot, but with a car setup for like mine is, I'm not going to ruin the fun factor by running crap tires.

I have Nankang 13" 205 60 on my 510,they suck.Two of the tires have 4 ounces of balance weights on them and i have had these tires balanced 5 times in about 2000 miles.I cannot get rid of the vibration or wobble.The alignment shop says get better tires,but its not easy to find 13" performance tires.

I have been using the falken ziex 512 from discount tire direct in 195-60-14 and for street driving they are not bad. not loud, grips well and tracks good at pretty high speeds given you have a good alignment.

I have had the sumitomo HTR 200 did not like those that much

normally I am more of a big yokohama fan

im considering these any opinions on them? are they good? ill be using them in the front if that makes any difference

http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?tc=FALHH3&c=5&pc=28854&ar=65&rf=true&cf=false&rd=14&sw=false&rc=CEBINT&cs=185

i would say those are fairly good, falken makes decent tires and for that price and free shipping it would be cheap!!! good ratings but the treadwear is high, maybe they are harder rubber?

looking at the American tires website (only place i get tires) they dont have them in the size im looking for the only had one in the size i want so i had to change it around just to get to the falkens

My Datsun had Falken performance tires in the late 80s, they were good, nearly as good as the pirellis I hade before that but lasted longer than the Ps.

Those have AA rating, which is desired. But have 60,000 mile rating, which is iffy. Might not grip so good. http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?tc=FALHH3&c=5&pc=28854&ar=65&rf=true&cf=false&rd=14&sw=false&rc=CEBINT&cs=185

Regarding noise, it can be a good thing. My yokohamas sound like a jet engine, you can hear it quite clearly at 25-35 mph. And have had zero problems in the rain through two winters. But are $200 EACH.

Yokohama A048R

13448.jpg

im glad there not to bad im just sick of going threw tires my backs ive been running for 3-4 years (good year) but this will be the third set of frunts ive had to buy in that time frame i even have bad camber in the back cause im lowered (i have toe upfront but im having it aligned once i get the new tires) i just want some good tires that will last a while