Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys. My plan is get the intercooler all mocked up and then drop off for tig. Then I'll probably be waiting a couple weeks to get them back and I can work on stuff I've been avoiding that doesn't cost money....

I just ordered one of these.

Product_vpp_zps9ffaf6b5.jpg

I'll be mounting it to the cold side of the intercooler tucked behind the valance so you can't see it.

-Josh

• Like 1

Spent a little time at the shop this morning. Had our first ultrasound yesterday for our baby. 8.5 weeks. This will shift priorities around but I still plan on moving forward. Maybe at an accelerated rate until the baby is born.

I've been struggling with the stock intake and the position of the throttle body. It points right at the radiator inlet.

IMG_20140111_100828_zps22y2c11j.jpg

IMG_20140111_1008372_zpssdq27ex8.jpg

I've been back and forth about buying a new intake or making a new plenum for mine. Today I decided to make the stock one do what I want. It's still in mockup but looks like it will work perfect now.

I just made a well placed cut (Lucky cut) and rotated the Throttle body flange 90deg.

IMG_20140111_103142_zps8boyl7w4.jpg

That hole in the core support is where the 2.5" Dia cold side of the intercooler is gonna discharge. I'm thinking of having it radiused and lining up with the throttle body for a nice straight shot.

IMG_20140111_103208_zpsqqqtcvpp.jpg

IMG_20140111_103301_zpsr06ixrar.jpg

Next up is the routing of the coolant return line from the rad. I'm thinking the pipe that comes out horizontal will be made to be vertical like the ones Ermish sales so I can go up and over the alternator instead of trying the wrap around it.

IMG_20140111_103307_zpsvyy2vcee.jpg

Stay tuned.

-Josh

• Like 2

I plan on mounting the bov to the cold side end cap of the inter cooler and making the pipe straight from the intercooler to the throttle body. The least amount of bends possible.

Everything is subject to change.... bov should be here Monday so we shall see.

Back at it...

Started assembling the intercooler. Ends are tacked up. Everything looks good so tomorrow I'll shape the sides and tack up. Might start final weld out tomorrow also. We'll see. Still waiting on the 2.75"-2.5" silicone adapter for the throttle body.

IMG_20140118_135347_zps1n8tbfiw.jpg

url]

IMG_20140118_135403_zpsdtxzekti.jpg

IMG_20140118_135353_zpswwcovwl6.jpg

IMG_20140118_145626_zpsqgojpxuy.jpg

IMG_20140118_144809_zps6r6xz7ra.jpg

IMG_20140118_144801_zpsuqcssidm.jpg

IMG_20140118_144751_zpsptyrkj4w.jpg

IMG_20140118_144742_zpso7x5lvvl.jpg

IMG_20140118_145523_zpsxf87sens.jpg

IMG_20140118_145531_zps3ggz5s5n.jpg

IMG_20140118_145543_zpscbueqbci.jpg

Doesn't get shorter than that...

• Like 2

How much for one? Seriously though, an intercooler that fits a 510 perfectly...

Its not perfect. I might not be able to use the stock hood latch due to clearance. A little short sidedness on my part. If I specd out a shorter core I could make it fit better. It still would require trimming the valance.

I'll look into it...

Down pipe is mocked up. Just need to put in the O2 bung. 3" SS with SS V band's both ends and a SS flex joint. Gotta rework the tranny mount and make up some hangers. Gotta wait till the turbo manifold and down pipe are welded before installing hangers since things will move around during weld out.

IMG_20140122_190327_zpsmfjj0zil.jpg

IMG_20140122_185144_zps6kzqvp4h.jpg

IMG_20140122_185131_zps0o5fvme1.jpg

IMG_20140122_184657_zpsyistqvak.jpg

IMG_20140122_184648_zpstigheamd.jpg

IMG_20140122_184555_zps3sji8ifs.jpg

IMG_20140122_184605_zps1o3u4crk.jpg

IMG_20140122_184613_zpsishmojfn.jpg

IMG_20140122_184618_zpstfzqiqx4.jpg

Josh, I am curious at what your options are going to be for a radiator fan. I also have a KA-T in mine and and had a hell of a time getting a fan option to fit. I thought that maybe I had some odd ball engine mounts that pushed the motor foward in the bay but it seems to be placed about the same as yours. What are you planning?

Mike

Spent a little time at the shop this morning. Had our first ultrasound yesterday for our baby. 8.5 weeks. This will shift priorities around but I still plan on moving forward. Maybe at an accelerated rate until the baby is born.

I've been struggling with the stock intake and the position of the throttle body. It points right at the radiator inlet.

Stay tuned.

-Josh

I'm tuned in like:

rotator1.jpg

For those old enough to know what this is. lulz.

• Like 1

Love the progress! 

One suggestion though,  I recommend moving the flex to a more vertical orientation next to the steering box.  I originally had mine just like yours and ended up cracking my manifold due to bashing speedbumps and the like.  I had a new downpipe made up with the flex vertical and now the exhaust can move upwards a bit if I hit a bump or bunny in the road.  Just something to ponder...

• Like 1

Just read this all the way through, and.... DDDDAAAAAMMMMMNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!

:)

Josh, I am curious at what your options are going to be for a radiator fan. I also have a KA-T in mine and and had a hell of a time getting a fan option to fit. I thought that maybe I had some odd ball engine mounts that pushed the motor foward in the bay but it seems to be placed about the same as yours. What are you planning?

Mike

Honestly I haven't crossed that bridge so I have no solution. I'll send you a pm when I do and obviously post the pics in here.

I'm tuned in like:

rotator1.jpg

For those old enough to know what this is. lulz.

OH MAN!

Love the progress!

One suggestion though, I recommend moving the flex to a more vertical orientation next to the steering box. I originally had mine just like yours and ended up cracking my manifold due to bashing speedbumps and the like. I had a new downpipe made up with the flex vertical and now the exhaust can move upwards a bit if I hit a bump or bunny in the road. Just something to ponder...

You know I originally planned on this but I didn't like the exit point under the floor board and after googling around I've seen alot of other cars with the same position as mine. I'm kinda back and forth right now. I might change it and I might not. My motor mounts will break before the manifold and turbo will so if anything the down pipe will rip off....

I'm not sure what I'll do honestly. I'll throw it under the car and check and see if it's doable to move it and then decide.

Just so we're clear, there will be no "Bashing" of speed bumps in this car :) Scraping maybe...

Thanks for the input for sure!

You know I originally planned on this but I didn't like the exit point under the floor board and after googling around I've seen alot of other cars with the same position as mine. I'm kinda back and forth right now. I might change it and I might not. My motor mounts will break before the manifold and turbo will so if anything the down pipe will rip off....

I'm not sure what I'll do honestly. I'll throw it under the car and check and see if it's doable to move it and then decide.

Just so we're clear, there will be no "Bashing" of speed bumps in this car :) Scraping maybe...

Thanks for the input for sure!

We all have the best intentions ;) It's just sometimes things happen :)

I can pm you some oics of my exhaust if you like, don't want to muck up this thread too much though!

Honestly, when I get some more exhaust work done I want to utilize oval pipe for that area.

Looking forward to the next update :D

What size did you guys end up enlarging the exhaust hole in the rear subframe to to fit that 3" pipe through?  I mean obviously it needs to be bigger than 3", but what did you find to be the best size?  I'm going to be dropping mine out and having it powder coated, so I figure while I'm there, I should make provisions in case I run a turbo in the future.

• Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)