Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Always impressive Josh! 

I'm guessing with the soapy water, you'll be welding caps onto each end, filling and sealing?  The soap will make more of a slush than a block of ice?  Is there an advantage this way instead of similarly using wet sand?

Mike,

Honestly I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. Sand might be the better option or maybe just annealing the areas I want to flatten would suffice.

I'll talk to some people at work that are smarter then me and see if they have any ideas.

-Josh

$145!!!!! Holy smokes man  :blush:  That's some nice stuff. Thanks for the link!

I might just try annealing the inside/outside of the radii and give it a squish. Honestly nobody is ever gonna see that section anyways so it doesn't really matter if it collapses a little... 

Was I right about the soapy water?  I've never heard of that before.  I'll have to google it. :)

.....hhhhmmm.....ya know.....you're pretty awesome at piecing that pipe together......how about sectioning a smaller diameter U bend and add some SS flat stock to get the width?  All ground down, it would look perfect. 

I'd love to see you bend it with the water or sand!!!!  Take vid!! :)  Too bad you're so far north! :(

They use soapy water to bend copper for instruments. The soap prevents the water from expanding and cracking the thin tubing.

That's a good idea about making my own section. If I fail that will be my recovery plan. At one time I was considering a boxed manifold section. That's still an option.

-Josh

Thanks Bob!

This weekend I plan on finishing the intercooler. I'm on "vacation" next week so I should be able to get a bunch done.

After hours of searching in finally ordered my exhaust hangers. Gonna use the style below and make my own mounting plates. All the tubing and v bands will be here Monday....

http://www.holohanshotrods.com/store/hangers.html

• Like 1

Lookin forward to it!!

Chandlers71 asked in a PM about the radiator and intercooler core I used so I figured I would post here also.

The Radiator is this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/afc-80104n/overview/

Intercooler core is from Bell Intercooler: http://www.bellintercoolers.com/ 

2.25 12.50 18.00 541 $371.00 A225125180

Both Rad and Intercooler share the exact same core size.

Core Height (in):12.500 in.

Core Thickness (in):2.250 in.

Core Width (in):18.000 in.

Thanks guys. My plan was to not compromise the integrity of the core support. With such a light unibody structure everything helps.... I still might lose the factory hood latch. If so I'll come up with a creative solution....

I still need to pressure test the intercooler. Tomorrow I'll have the rest of my exhaust tubing and vbands. Mid week I'll have the hangers.... Should have the exhaust done by the end of next weekend.

Worked a little on the exhaust. Getting closer.

Pics make it look like the pipes are beveled instead of smooth. Below is a piece of the round that connects the two pipes. Not much of a segment...

IMG_20140203_184555_zpswrf5sgxy.jpg

IMG_20140203_184108_zpsv3ymeqaa.jpg

IMG_20140203_184246_zps4c2u4618.jpg

The plan is to have a section of pipe through the Cross member with a v band on either side. Hopefully tomorrow I can mock that up and connect it to the forward pipe. Wednesday I'll have the hangers and can finish...

Lookin' good.

Is there enough room around that pipe for it to expand when it gets hot?  I had that problem on my Mustang... sort of.  When I first got it back from the exhaust shop, It rattled until it got hot, at which point it just rubbed against the frame rail.

• Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)