Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What size did you guys end up enlarging the exhaust hole in the rear subframe to to fit that 3" pipe through? I mean obviously it needs to be bigger than 3", but what did you find to be the best size? I'm going to be dropping mine out and having it powder coated, so I figure while I'm there, I should make provisions in case I run a turbo in the future.

Looks to be 3.5" sch40 pipe. This gives you a 3.55" ID and 4" OD.

• Like 1

I have used high end cold saw but not a cold saw on a cheaper "chop saw".

The band saw is nice because you don't have to clamp the tubing when you cut odd shapes as long as you have enough to hold onto without spinning. Grinder with cutoff wheel works fine you just have to mark it real good and grind it flat.

Josh that looks excellent! You did a great job getting it tucked up.

Thanks. Gonna work on more tomorrow but need to order more v bands, hangers and a muffler before I can finish. Probably order the wideband first. Gonna put mine about where yours is but on the other side of the pipe.

Ordered the Borla muffler, 2 SS V-bands, a 3' section of 3" tubing and another 3" 180deg section. Total for materials not including hangers from the turbo back is so far $800..... Ouch!! I could've gotten the v bands for half the cost but I would rather buy quality pieces.

All piece's bought from himni https://www.himni-racing.com

It will be sick and last forever....

;)

It looks like I'll be reshaping the rearmost section of the tranny tunnel to get a better angle on the exhaust. More on that later....

I've been losing sleep over how to get from the cross member to the muffler. Most 510's they run under the diff output shaft. That's fine but ground clearance is at a premium already so after some back and forth I decided on this route....

Hint....

IMG_20140127_180916_zpsh93xk7si.jpg

IMG_20140127_183235_zpsjllkqd2m.jpg

IMG_20140127_183415_zpsmnmt3srl.jpg

Gonna be tight and need heat wrap and heat shield for the gas tank. Should be OK...

Here's two more oics for good measure.

IMG_20140127_173305_zps2cqhapwl.jpg

IMG_20140127_172133_zpsdtryghea.jpg

I'm off work next week so hopefully I can wrap up the exhaust for the most part. Still need to figure out hangers. Its tight everywhere so conventional hangers won't suffice..

Thanks Draker. Its easier then it looks ;)

I decided to help with clearance and heat I'm going to try and ovalize the bend over the CV flange. Gonna aneal, fill with soapy water, freeze and then use a hydrualic press to squish and ovalize the pipe. Hope it works well. Its not really a visible are of pipe so I'm sure in the end the function will far out way and weirdness in the shape of the pipe..

We'll find out soon enough :)

It looks like I'll be reshaping the rearmost section of the tranny tunnel to get a better angle on the exhaust. More on that later....

I've been losing sleep over how to get from the cross member to the muffler. Most 510's they run under the diff output shaft. That's fine but ground clearance is at a premium already so after some back and forth I decided on this route....

Hint....

IMG_20140127_180916_zpsh93xk7si.jpg

IMG_20140127_183235_zpsjllkqd2m.jpg

IMG_20140127_183415_zpsmnmt3srl.jpg

Gonna be tight and need heat wrap and heat shield for the gas tank. Should be OK...

Here's two more oics for good measure.

IMG_20140127_173305_zps2cqhapwl.jpg

IMG_20140127_172133_zpsdtryghea.jpg

I'm off work next week so hopefully I can wrap up the exhaust for the most part. Still need to figure out hangers. Its tight everywhere so conventional hangers won't suffice..

What about the mustache bar. It looks like it's gonna hit the pipe.

You guys are killin me :)

Its gonna have a nice deep tone for sure. No ricey sound... Hopefully its quiet until you step into it. I don't wanna worry about firing it up at 6am when I drive it to work ;)

Tomorrow I'm gonna try and tig the section that is wrapping around the diff. Then I can freeze it and try and ovalize it... We'll see. Hopefully I don't ruin the pipe as it's a $50 section of pipe...

• Like 1
  • Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)