My '76 710 Goon

datzenmike

Wet today and the front end wander seems worse. My truck felt like this when I got it. Hit a puddle and it would veer into oncoming traffic. Severe toe in was the problem. Mine doesn't appear to be out but camber is a bit and the pass side is a little lower than the driver's side.

I found my Moog camber plates and brought them to work with me so I can replace all the nuts and bolts hardware on them. The car is driveable but needs attention before I leave for Canby.

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, J can be hit or miss sometimes. He was working out of town for good good money but for some reason they haven't called him back. (he says) He means well and I'm sure he wants that motor and want's to build a 240 up but doesn't have much initiative to get out and make it happen.

You still offering those seats?

Mmmmm road trip in my 710. The '74 was killer on my back last Canby. I used an Obus Form back support fro the driving down and back. The 710 buckets are very poor support for the lumbar area.

Spring cleaning Sat. Since the kids left home I can't believe the shit we've collected. I totally understand hoarders. We have a friend come over and throw stuff out... tough love.... but it's got to go! We let her decide what goes.

Got half the day off so installed the camber plates. 'bout an hour a side. Moved the struts as far inboard as I could. I think they look better but will get a torpedo level and hold against the rims tomorrow. Took for a drive and it doesn't pull to the left hardly at all. Gave a bit more lift on the pass side to try and level it more.

After driving 2800 miles in a 710 over the last week, I agree - there's no lumbar support in those seats. I'll try and add some strategically-placed foam when I sew together the busted seams in the upholstery.

Mmmmm road trip in my 710. The '74 was killer on my back last Canby. I used an Obus Form back support fro the driving down and back. The 710 buckets are very poor support for the lumbar area.

Yesterday I cruised up to Rich's place up island about 90? miles and he was nice enough to give me some zx seats. I would have to paint them black and do some repairs or cover them but they have way better lateral support than mine. Man what a great day for a cruise! It was sunny and breezy cool. My temp gauge read right at the top of the normal range so I stayed at the speed limit, too bad.

710shakedowncruiseLarge.jpg

Will replace the rad and or the thermostat today.

Put the parts car rad and another 180 thermostat in it this afternoon. See how the gauge reads tomorrow.

Filled up and got over 41 MPG so did something wrong there. 18.8 liters for 170 miles. Will drive it tomorrow to test out the rad/thermostat and refill later in the week and fill to the top of the neck.

Yesterday I cruised up to Rich's place up island about 90? miles and he was nice enough to give me some zx seats. I would have to paint them black and do some repairs or cover them but they have way better lateral support than mine.

my seats are so messed up. the drivers side leans really bad. I think a very voluptuous person owned it before me...I have tried a few others but i'm having a really hard time finding ones that work without to much modifying. I don't mind drilling holes but i'm not cutting anything out for seats.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

my seats are so messed up. the drivers side leans really bad. I think a very voluptuous person owned it before me...I have tried a few others but i'm having a really hard time finding ones that work without to much modifying. I don't mind drilling holes but i'm not cutting anything out for seats.

Not sure if 710 seat bases are the close to a 510 but read the how to on PT cruiser seats.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Put the parts car rad and another 180 thermostat in it this afternoon. See how the gauge reads tomorrow.

Filled up and got over 41 MPG so did something wrong there. 18.8 liters for 170 miles. Will drive it tomorrow to test out the rad/thermostat and refill later in the week and fill to the top of the neck.

Does the AC work on it Mike?

You got them seats in there yet?

I demand more oics!

Your car is bad ass Mike!

Sorry I didn't stick around longer :(

Will that air cleaner work with your su's?

I was stoked when my friends said a Datsun had just showed up :hyper:

If I cut the back off and make a flat plate with SU size openings is will.:lol: Should look Nissan made if I'm careful.

Seats not in yet, work gets in the way. Will have a look tonight.

Does the AC work on it Mike?

Don't know. I can't get the heater fan to work. Vent doesn't seem to work either. I have a '74 FSM for a 610 and it completely covers air con so somewhen I'l get to it.

ZX seats in my 710. Well the 280zx seats won't 'bolt in' but a bit of measuring shows the tracks are about the same distance apart side to side. Rather than drill holes in my good floor I figure that I can swap my 710 tracks onto the zx seat and simply bolt them back in.

I removed the 710 seat and unbolted the slides from both sides and put them on the zx seat bottom using only the front bolts with a large nut as a spacer between the track and the seat bottom. This serves to raise the seat about 3/8" so the slide doesn't scuff into the upholstery and jam.

710zxseatsswap001Large.jpg

710zxseatsswap002Large.jpg

The back bolt holes in the zx seat are too far to the back and the 710 track doesn't line up, so I center punched the zx seat, drilled a hole and bolted the track on. Again, I used the large nut as a spacer. The two studs on the 710 tracks that go through the floor must be 15 3/4" apart so drill the rear holes accordingly.

710zxseatsswap003Large.jpg

The front mounting holes are too close together so I had to rat tail file them oval to get the bolts in.

Ran out of daylight and time but they are both in my parts car. (I used the parts car tracks so I can just swap them directly into my goon tomorrow. Will add more pictures then.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I can work on stuff that isn't right but did not stop me from going to Canby. First is the driver's side headlight is dim and there are no high beams. I swapped L & R fuses and the problem stayed, swapper L & R sets of headlights and no change. Checked, there was no +12 on the driver's side. Went back to the fuse. +12 on one side of fuse not on the other. Swapped in a different fuse ... the same.The +12 side reads on the clip that holds the fuse but the fuse case does not. Damn the fuse holder look good but not making contact. I had the fuse out 6-7 times and slid it back and forth a dozen times and ASSumed it would make good contact... but Noooooo. Cot it working and now have highs and lows.

Got this little thing to dress up the grill...

710dressup001Large.jpg

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Now I can work on stuff that isn't right but did not stop me from going to Canby. First is the driver's side headlight is dim and there are no high beams. I swapped L & R fuses and the problem stayed, swapper L & R sets of headlights and no change. Checked, there was no +12 on the driver's side. Went back to the fuse. +12 on one side of fuse not on the other. Swapped in a different fuse ... the same.The +12 side reads on the clip that holds the fuse but the fuse case does not. Damn the fuse holder look good but not making contact. I had the fuse out 6-7 times and slid it back and forth a dozen times and ASSumed it would make good contact... but Noooooo. Cot it working and now have highs and lows.

Got this little thing to dress up the grill...

710dressup001Large.jpg

Douche that box Mike.. :lol:

like the emblem :cool:

ready for a cruise...

island style? :unsure: