My '76 710 Goon

datzenmike

Quickly drew something up at work and dropped it off at Grey Rock Welding to press out. They'll have it ready Fri nite for the weekend for me. The plan is to cut out the center and drop in a U shaped piece and weld in position. This will drop the center line of the tranny more in keeping with the old 4 speed position and will lower the shifter about 2-3". That should complete the 5 speed swap and I can get back at the Max strut brakes.

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent a few hrs yesterday wiping mold off the head liner and cleaning the dash and doors, vacuuming under the back seat. Carpet isn't that bad but very faded.... from black to tan/brown. The tranny hump is real bad and the whole cargo area where the sun bleached it.

Back of rear seat.

710interior003Large.jpg

Back of seat and the whole cargo area.

710interior004Large.jpg

Tranny hump before.

710interior001Large.jpg

After.

710interior005Large.jpg

Did the front floor mats too.

710interior006Large.jpg

Have to get another can for the cargo area.

No shit.

I'll get another can and do the cargo mat and post later tomorrow. With the mat out there's a small removable 'hatch' so you can access the gas tank sender. Have to see about some sound deadener.

Hell no.... it's called

Dupli-Color

High Performance

Vinyl and Fabric

Coating

I used the gloss black. The vinyl pad your heels sit on came out tits!!! Ordinary piint will crack and peel. I expect this stuff is mor flexible.

710interiorLarge.jpg

Nice to see that stuff really works - I always figured that it would be as effective as a can of Ron Popiel spray-on hair.

Hell no.... it's called

Dupli-Color

High Performance

Vinyl and Fabric

Coating

I used the gloss black. The vinyl pad your heels sit on came out tits!!! Ordinary piint will crack and peel. I expect this stuff is mor flexible.

710interiorLarge.jpg

Used one whole can to do the cargo carpet. Took the picture late and it looks bluish but is really jet blacl.

710interior007Large.jpg

Also I pulled the tranny X member from my parts goon because there seems to be a larger hump in the driver's side for exhaust pipe clearance, so I'm going with that.

Initial start cuts. I offset it 1 cm to the pass side for better 5 speed clearance on that side.

goon5speedswap222Large.jpg

Tomorrow I'll tack in place and install to test the fit. I'll mark the tranny mount holes at the same time and drill them when I'm finished the welding. I also found another shifter that I think I'll go with

goon5speedswap225Large.jpg

goon5speedswap223Large.jpg

Tacked it together and test fit. Looked ok so removed it and welded it in permanent and drilled two holes in the bottom to access the mount mounting bolts so I could tighten them.

goon5speedswap230Large.jpg

I put a good tack in all four corners of the mount. It should be more than enough as it barely supports any tranny weight.

goon5speedswap232Large.jpg

One of my better welds.

goon5speedswap226Large.jpg

My mod is higher than the exhaust at that point. It will do, for now. I can move on to the front brakes now. If I can find a thinner rubber isolator/mount I can remove and cut and raise it slightly.... later. Canby is next door.

Thanks Rich. That's with the body in the air, lowered down and with the cut spring and shorter Maxima strut I'm afraid the fender will rub. Today I want to remove the hubs and clean and grease the bearings and maybe get the calipers on, then I can lower it and see. These rims will definitely fit my sedan, It's way higher.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Thanks Rich. That's with the body in the air, lowered down and with the cut spring and shorter Maxima strut I'm afraid the fender will rub. Today I want to remove the hubs and clean and grease the bearings and maybe get the calipers on, then I can lower it and see. These rims will definitely fit mythe wifes sedan, It's way higher.

fixed :lol:

Curious to see what the inner wheel well will be like on the front.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Hey, I still own it(tho she has claimed it). Right now it's at the body shop to get painted, she's paying... on my car.:P

If it sits low I may have to swap her, (I mean my) rims.

fixed :P

How is it going close to spray time Mike?

Well we said take your time, can't pay all at once and don't need it till end April...... well it's May so need to go up and rattle the cage. Had to insure the Sundance again.:angry:

Spent the PM pulling the hubs and rotors of my struts. Cleaned and greased the spindle and bearings. Can't find my fucking caliper bolts so will have to get something in town.

Lou I priced them $8 each!!! I told the guy I'd get my magnet out and rake the driveway. :D Well Finally found them in the parts goon and mocked them up...

710strutupgrade003Large.jpg

The rotors need replacing but cleaned up good enough for the Canby trip. I ordered the pads, they're in tomorrow. The old ones looked fine last year but as time runs out they got thinner awfully fast. If I get these on with new pads tomorrow night, in theory, it should run. L20B, zx 5 speed Yeah! FTMFingW.

710strutupgrade001Large.jpg

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Lou I priced them $8 each!!! I told the guy I'd get my magnet out and rake the driveway. :D Well Finally found them in the parts goon and mocked them up...

The rotors need replacing but cleaned up good enough for the Canby trip. I ordered the pads, they're in tomorrow. The old ones looked fine last year but as time runs out they got thinner awfully fast. If I get these on with new pads tomorrow night, in theory, it should run. L20B, zx 5 speed Yeah! FTMFingW.

Holy bucks a bolt Mike!

Closer to being ready for Canby :cool:

I went and looked at a goon tonight(510) so close to getting it(I wasnt budging from my offer at that point and time)

Time will tell :blink:

Well an unexpected windfall and I have new rotors and they are now in with the new pads. Not that much different just shiny...

710strutupgrade004Large.jpg

Finally set the car down on the Maxima struts and this is what I got...

710strutupgrade005Large.jpg

710strutupgrade006Large.jpg

This is so, not me. :lol:

Tomorrow will go up to see what's holding up the sedan and will swap these rims on and bring back the 200sx mags. These should tuck untill I get the ride height sorted out. Probably need a spring compressor and move the split collar higher so the body is better supported on a compressed spring. I used a hand jack and got it high enough to roll out on the street to get the parts goon behind it. Can't use the stock rims they won't clear the Maxima calipers.

710wheelswap002Large.jpg

Now looks like...

710strutupgrade007Large.jpg

710strutupgrade008Large.jpg

No it's not rust. the old boy who used to own it sprayed red and gray primer everywhere.