WILL IT WORK

I JUST GOT MY DATSUN 510(1970) AND IT CAME WITH A L20B 4-SPEED,, I'VE READ THAT A FIVE SPEED CAN BE PUT ON, BUT WILL I HAVE 2 MODIFY THE DRIVE SHAFT FOR ANY LENGTH DIFFERENCES. AND WHERE COULD I GET A 200SX DOGLEG TRANS, BECAUSE I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE 200SX WAS FRONT WHEEL DRIVE.. BUT THIS TRANS IS RWD.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I JUST GOT MY DATSUN 510(1970) AND IT CAME WITH A L20B 4-SPEED,, I'VE READ THAT A FIVE SPEED CAN BE PUT ON, BUT WILL I HAVE 2 MODIFY THE DRIVE SHAFT FOR ANY LENGTH DIFFERENCES. AND WHERE COULD I GET A 200SX DOGLEG TRANS, BECAUSE I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE 200SX WAS FRONT WHEEL DRIVE.. BUT THIS TRANS IS RWD.

Likely the 4 speed is the stock 510 4 speed that was on the car. (a picture of it will help ID it) Yes a 5speed can be swapped on and the simplist/easiest is the '77-'79 200sx dogleg. I don't think there was ever a FWD 200sx of any year. The dogleg is the same length, has the speedometer on the same side and has the same 1-4 gear ratios as what you now have. The rear transmission mount isn't the same but it can be modified to work.

A second not so simple/easy 5 speed is the FS5W71B from a 620 truck, '79-'84 Maxima or '77 and up 280z or zx. This transmission is roughly 5-6" longer and WILL need the drive shaft to be shortened. The FS5W71B is longer and stronger than the dogleg and comes in a variety of forward and over drive 5th gear ratios depending what it came out of.

The dogleg speedo cog is not on the same side as the original 510 4-speed. It's the same side as the F4W63L that was used from '74-on in the Violet (710, A10) platform, as the Dogleg was a direct replacement for the "L" type vs the original F4W63. So, to use a dogleg you still need the longer speedo cable and "flipped" or modified crossmember. The driveshaft length is the same though.

The FWD 200SX was a rebadged 2-door Sentra SE (B-series Sunny platform) in the 1990s.

Well, I haven't done the swap myself. I'd heard a lot of folks complain that they couldn't make the speedo cable reach on the Dogleg in a 510, either needing a longer cable or using a roadster 90deg adapter. Could be that the cog is further back on the dogleg. The mount I know is significantly further back, and the photo above shows that. Guess I'll have to look in the garage, I have a 63, a 63L, and a 63A all in the garage.

um, i can't understand you when you yell... :)

Likely the 4 speed is the stock 510 4 speed that was on the car. (a picture of it will help ID it) Yes a 5speed can be swapped on and the simplist/easiest is the '77-'79 200sx dogleg. I don't think there was ever a FWD 200sx of any year. The dogleg is the same length, has the speedometer on the same side and has the same 1-4 gear ratios as what you now have. The rear transmission mount isn't the same but it can be modified to work.

A second not so simple/easy 5 speed is the FS5W71B from a 620 truck, '79-'84 Maxima or '77 and up 280z or zx. This transmission is roughly 5-6" longer and WILL need the drive shaft to be shortened. The FS5W71B is longer and stronger than the dogleg and comes in a variety of forward and over drive 5th gear ratios depending what it came out of.

That was because you was too close to him, Datzenmike could hear him just fine because he was at a safe distance up in Canada! :lol:

That was because you was too close to him, Datzenmike could hear him just fine because he was at a safe distance up in Canada! :lol:

I knew there was a message coming when all the moose started heading north and pulled my toque over my ears.

to use a dogleg you still need the longer speedo cable and "flipped" or modified crossmember. The driveshaft length is the same though.

i used the stock speedo cable. (it is on the PORT/left/drivers side )

IIRC i only had to unhook it from a support to make it fit.

transdoglegshort78hl510Lseries.jpg

As I scrolled down this topic, I got to the dogleg pic and said "Hey, that's my little dogleg shivering in the snow!". I told my wife, I really need to re-shoot those, they aren't especially good photos. Then I realized I can't redo the dogleg pic, cause it is finally installed in my 510. And with luck, I might finally get the engine running this weekend. But if I guessed wrong on the clutch sleeve, or the dogleg is trashed, it may come out again and I can re-shoot the pic. Much as I'd like to do a better pic, I'd rather have the trans stay in the car.

I'm going from an auto to dogleg. The speedo cable hookup for the auto is on the opposite (passenger) side from the dogleg, so the cable looks plenty long. Maybe a simple S curve in the cable can use up extra length. If not, I may have the cable out of a 4-speed car, if I can find it, and if it isn't too short.

Len