Our build thread....a 2dr 510 story

6508233005_dd927cb169_o.jpg

Thanks for all the support from guys who have been with this thread from the beginning. Don't have much of an update but we PICKED A COLOR finally. I'll be including a pic in this thread. Volvo Java pearl 442 and these are our Work wheels in the same color. Other than that there is not much to report. Still putting pressure on the body shop and waiting on wiring. Haven't heard much about the wiring, pretty sure we are getting shafted on it but thats how stuff like this goes. I'm 26 days from moving home so the work should really pick up when i move home. Hope you guys stay tuned, once we are out of paint things should really pick up. I should be picking up a digital canon slr in the next month or two so i should be able to get some good pics uploaded.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

December 18, 2012

Stopped by the body shop last week and thye are getting much closer to final primer and paint. The wheel wells are pulled rolled and massaged and they look great. The whole car looks great and i cant wait to see it once paint is on it.

The wiring might or might not be done this week but if its not done by friday the lawyer is getting involved. its been 12 months and we have nothing still so hopefully this will be the end of it and it will get done.

Ill go by the body shop this week and try to get dome pics up this weekend

6508233005_dd927cb169_o.jpg

Thanks for all the support from guys who have been with this thread from the beginning. Don't have much of an update but we PICKED A COLOR finally. I'll be including a pic in this thread. Volvo Java pearl 442 and these are our Work wheels in the same color. Other than that there is not much to report. Still putting pressure on the body shop and waiting on wiring. Haven't heard much about the wiring, pretty sure we are getting shafted on it but thats how stuff like this goes. I'm 26 days from moving home so the work should really pick up when i move home. Hope you guys stay tuned, once we are out of paint things should really pick up. I should be picking up a digital canon slr in the next month or two so i should be able to get some good pics uploaded.

one of my favorite production colors of all time ........was toying with my mazda ending up this color...except they had a similar color that most people would assume my truck was......i love the black side tone on this color....its truly a amazing color to stand and look at in the sunny....it will look sick on yor ride

just fucking with you. I wanted to see one of your rants. They make me LOL.

my rants are only for the lols......no one listens anyway.....thats not a bad si there si...pretty clean car and no hipster stickerbomb.....or flared shoelace drawings...

mind u,  for the record ... i cant stand blue, yet i have owned 4 blue trucks ...even one i painted blue so i obviousy dont take myself to seriously either......maybe i secretly like blue and just say i hate it cause the 5 years i spent hearing everyone come in and go..." so i want this color,  right,  its blue but i dont know what it is ...can u help me...."yeah its a civic color, electron blue ..right.."   how did you know it was on a civic..." well lets just call its begineers luck.."...then i would tell them 575 a gallon for just the paint and they would procede to shit them selves at the counter........so we would look at cheaper alternatives.....for there 1981 camaro......with t tops................and a eq

Hey guys glad to see some action back in the thread. Where i moved is about 50 Miles away from the car/body shop but my uncle who is my build partner lives right now the road from there. I'm going back this weekend to hang out with some family and we have plans to stop by the body shop. Its hit and miss sometimes though on the weekends. Sometimes they work sat/sun late, other times we go by and they are closed all weekend. If all goes well I'll go up and they will be open so i can take a few shots of the bodywork that has been done. Basically they have the body work complete and ready for primer from about halfway up. The doors are completely done but they are still working on the fenders and surrounding areas. If all goes well I can get some pics up and for you guys to see. Stay tuned.

• 3 weeks later...

January 10, 2013

Update

The wiring is finally done and in our possession. Since I'm working about 60 miles away from where the car is I had the wiring shipped to my uncles business since he is there all the time. I DO HAVE PICS THOUGH. I'm at work so I couldn't upload everything to photobucket because DOD has firewalled all those sites but here is a direct link to Jordan Innovations picasas. All the wiring is labeled too. I dont think the engine wiring harness is included in any of the pics but i've posted that before

https://picasaweb.google.com/105055876317279875724/TonyDatsun510?authkey=Gv1sRgCKOpt5PD74ub9wE&noredirect=1#

I'll edit this this weekend to embed the pictures in the post

Thanks for the Help!

The 510 in the pics is NOT our car LOL. Its the car that Jeff used to mock up all the wiring since he didn't have our car to actually do all the wiring on. But all the wiring is ours obviously. Its basically a total mil spec loomed wiring harness with all brand new wiring, OEM honda/datsun connector and everything is integrated. All the honda s2000 guage cluster plugs were taken from a donor harness and integrated into the wiring with an OEM honda head unit connector. He did an excellent job as you can tell and also integrated the engine harness into the chassis harness by use of a custom connector. I'm really happy with how everything turned out

January 19, 2013

More parts are on the way. I placed an order with THmotorsports for a Clutch Masters Fx100 clutch kit/PP that should offer 70% increase in holding pressure over stock. I also ordered a competition clutch ultra lightweight flywheel which drops about 5 lbs off the stock f20c flywheel. With any luck I should get able to get these installed next weekend and finish up the fuel rail install and EGR valve delete and clean the block to get it ready for install. Here is some eye candy for the new parts. Also placed an order with honda for all the exhaust bolts springs nuts, and new injector O rings since i tore one installing the fuel rail. Stay tuned for more updates.

group-261e3482-51ad-4c14-a7ec-496370901b

group-a284a6a3-332b-4047-b5ce-949badf805

sweet car I hope I can finish mine

I'm new to this page and  I plan on having the same engine swap done to my 4 door datsun but I need some help with the wiring can you please help or

point me on the right direction ?

Well to be honest I'm not really sure I can be of much help. I had 2 different companies do the wiring and the harness' have been totally rebuilt from scratch to incorporate exactly what we needed and wanted out of them. The best thing I can say is do your research there are several different forums that address wiring for engine swaps. The f20c isn't much different. As I'm sure you know the stock ECU has an immobilizer built in which from what I read you cannot bypass unless you wire in an s2000 ignition assembly. We have a JDM motor so there is no immobilizer built in but once we get the motor started for the first time we are going to switch to AEM EMS v2. 

• 2 months later...

Update: April 10, 2013

The bodyshop said that the car should be done by the end of this month, and what that means is probably mid way through next month. I got a call last week that I'm going to another Flight School course for the Army for 3 months so my summer is basically shot. My best friend is coming back from Afghanistan in June and plans on keeping the work on the car going while I am gone since by then it will be out of paint. I know there isn't much interest in this thread anymore but at least you guys know whats going on with the car.

Really nice build can't wait to see it on the road or track. I know how ya feel, my cars have been side tracked for about 20 years (all the other struggles of life getting in the way). But I'm trying to use the power of the net to get back to my past 510 projects. Before you know it you will have it finished and going down the road.

Eddie

Just read from cover to cover.    First note. Thanks for your service and sacrifices you and your family (and your 510) have made to keep us safe. Ive seen some close up views of those Blackhawks crabwalking over the back woods, looking for "gardens". What a beast!        Next,this is an awesome build. Myself,I couldn't do the Honda motor. Nothing against them. I've owned a few over the years and they are great cars. Id probably have a different opinion if I drove an S2000...here in central Maine, I think there's 3 of them. I think anyone hating this build would just be jealous of it at this point.  Cant wait to see the finished product. Stay safe up there!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback. Sorry that haven't been any new pics lately but NOTHING has been done at the body shop so there really isn't anything to post. I know when most people do a build it pretty much turns into the center of the universe, and this was for me for about the first 12 months when things were really coming along but so much has happened since then. Once the car went into the paint shop its like time has stood still. We really can't do anything between now and then, and it's like we don't even have a build going on right now.

Add on top of that everything going on with flying, work, and my wife and I building a new house and this is just madness. My uncle and I met up on sunday to work on the car but we had to get his 55 wagon up for sale and his motorhome because he just bought a new lake house. So after we got the financial priorities taken care of we didn't even have time to go to the storage unit and take a look at the parts that came off and need to go to powder coat. It's getting really frustrating but I just don't have a free weekend to go spend on the car and really get everything i need done. I leave in a month and I don't have a single weekend to work on the car between now and then and I'll be gone for 3 months, which is basically my whole summer. 

You guys will probably laugh at this but i still haven't seen the wheels in person. They went to the body shop when they came in, while I was still down at ft rucker and my uncle picked them up a few weeks ago from the body shop. I haven't even had time to make it to the storage unit to go look at the wheels. Maybe when I'm back and my buddy is back we can really start knocking stuff out on the car, but by that time it will be nearing fall and temps will be dropping, making it hard again to get anything done.

Thanks for everyone who has been patient, i know this build thread hasn't been what people were expecting, it really hasn't been whatI was expecting either. This car will get finished one day.