Our build thread....a 2dr 510 story

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry no updates lately. Still waiting on the wiring to be finished up and the car is still in paint. They were supposed to test fit the wheels last week to see how much the fenders needed to be massaged but the body shop guy wasnt around when we stopped by. One thing about a build like this is everything takes twice as long as it should. The body shop said our car would have paint by now but th body work isnt even close to being done. Its a slow process so hang in there for updates

please tell me .... its not cause u have a electron blue si.... i used to sell automotive paint and for a few years i was so sick of everyone wanting electron blue......in the 90's it was iroc teal....in the 80's it was anything neon...nice wheel package...

90% sure we want to go alpine white with polished/black work equiips but we still arent totally set on that yet. Possible colors are a grapite grey or silver.

picking a color has been the toughest part of the build so far.

its easy to pic a color... turn to 71 datsun in your ppg color card and choose a color....why mess with what the factory already spent years developing....there a cool array of colors... i dont know when it comes to datsun i never have been interested in any datsun outside the factory color choices....its just not me...

and for the record, hyundai has a alpine white ...ford has a alpine white...freightliner has about 6 alpine white....names mean nothing n the automotive color industry it's all about the code....another funny thing the same code can be called alpine white in ppg but then u go to dupont or s/w and the same color might be called aspen white...another brand and its called...asshat white... ok not ass hat but u get the idea....my favorite is i had this homeboy customer and he would come in and asked for caddillacs tricoat white pearl and he would call it cocaine white everytime....once i tired to tell him no manufacturer would ever call there color cocaine white...but he still swears gm calls it cocaine white...i giggle...

i liken it to people, I'm jon, there's millions of jon's...but not every jon is a sarcastic, asshat, that has seen it all and done it all....thats not fair to other jon's ( that's alot to live up to...) (( THERE CAN ONLY BE ON KING TURD ON SHIT ISLAND...)

i can make your centeres anycolor u want ....

why when I can have Work do it for the same cost as the rims. Plus I wouldnt have to pay shipping on four rims to and from WA and the cost to have them painted/powdercoated. didnt you have economics in school? Dont make me get all SSS510 on your ass.

• 2 weeks later...

why when I can have Work do it for the same cost as the rims. Plus I wouldnt have to pay shipping on four rims to and from WA and the cost to have them painted/powdercoated. didnt you have economics in school? Dont make me get all SSS510 on your ass.

Yes if you order trough weaksauce they can get you any color barrell that work makes. I wanted black barrels but my uncle thought it was too much of a modern look so we stayed with the polished barrells.

And jrock yeah ive used the same screen name on every forum since i had my si. Here is a pic of it a few months before i sold it

IMG_0832.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah tell me about it i never anticipated it taking this long. To be honest most of this is on the shops that are working on it. The shop that mounted the motor was a drag race shop and we took it to them during race season so we knew it wasnt their first priority. The shop doing the body work is primarily a collision shop and they told us collision work would take priority but we are paying about half of what 2 custom restoration body shops quoted us. When my uncle and i first started going to mecum we looked at some resto rods that were 3 and 5 year builds and we were like what took them so long. Now being involved personally i can tell you nothing goes fast. Im a blackhawk pilot for the army and im currently in flight school so i dont always have time to call shops and put pressure on them to speed things along. And some vendors we have worked with have not really been the most helpful in terms of turnaround time. Our wiring has been at jordan innovations for over 9 months and now we cant even get them to answer the phone or email, and it is getting very close to us having to take legal action. None of this is stuff gets featured on overhaulin and shows like that because they have a tv show budget and million dollar sponsor support.

Sorry its been slow but thats what is going on. I moved almost 1000 miles away from the car when i went to flight school but i graduate in december. People have criticized this thread for being slow or starting a build thread too early, that other threads have way more updates and they are right. But there are only a handful of datsuns being done to this level and even fewer have documented threads showing every part and peice. When we started this car i was single and not a flight school student and my uncle had his own business. Since then my uncles business has grown substantially and i have gotten married had a son and was accepted to flight school so a lot has changed. Thats part of life. Thanks for those who are hanging in there but for everyone else, sorry if this thread isnt what u wanted

Edited by electron_si

The only reason people chastise you is because of the level the dime is being built too. We just want to see how it's gonna turn out! I understand life getting in the way. I'm 3.5 years into my quick build to just get the car running. Haha. Take your time and don't worry about what everyone else has to say.

Thanks for the support from the few guys that have followed since the beginning. I talked to my uncle and he is stopping by the body shop this week and giving them a deadline of dec 1. Whether or not they can meet that is another story but we are tired of them sitting on it since it has been almost a year now and it still is in primer.

Another update, i talked to Jeff the owner of the wiring shop and he has assured me the wiring will be done this weekend and he said he would send me some pics tonight before he boxes it to ship out. Before you guys get excited this has happened once before and he didn't come through so I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worse. Im really excited to see how the chassis harness looks. He wired the s2000 dash harness into the stock harness so we will have full gauge cluster functionality which i think is going to look awesome. Cant wait to see everything as it starts coming together. Im less than 2 months from being home and getting my hands on it so it should be an exciting winter and spring. Stay tuned.......!

Dude life is full of set backs and family is first. If your spending this kind of money get it done right and the way u want sure it will take time but like I said b4 it will be worth the wait. I love the build and when I see updates I jump on and see it thanks for doing this build