Our build thread....a 2dr 510 story

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

February 27, 2011

Got some work done on the dat today. I had to finish pulling the guts out of the passenger door and we went up to the storage unit to grab some lights we passed a body shop that is down the street from where we keep the car. I saw a guy outside touching up a car so i stopped in and asked about doing the bodywork for the dat. He came and saw our car and he agreed to get started on it in 2 weeks. So tomorrow the car will go out and get the fuel cell installed and the fuel pump and filter primed and then it will come back and go in for body work. Look for some updates in the next couple weeks because things are going to start happening.

yeah i know the pics aren't the greatest but i take them from my blackberry and it automatically uploads them to my photobucket account so its just so much easier than dragging out the camera snapping pics and plugging it in.

your pics are fine! you at least have pictures. Half of my pictures are taken on my phone.

• 6 months later...

Ok.............Its back from the dead.

My uncle called me a few days ago and was in touch with the body shop. They are going to come pick it up in the next 2-3 weeks to start working on. Stay tuned for updates in a few weeks. Im still at Ft Rucker so I'll try my best to have him take pictures, but I'm going back at christmas and i will take a TON of pictures for the thread. By then they will have it blasted and be deep into the body work so ill have some good pics

Hey well im glad to see someone was watching this lol. Yeah plans kind of got put on hold because i was accepted to flight school for the Army which is why im down at Ft rucker right now. My uncle and I tried everything to keep the project going but im doing all the work on it so when i left it pretty much came to a halt. I was glad to hear that it will be going in for body work soon.

90% sure we want to go alpine white with polished/black work equiips but we still arent totally set on that yet. Possible colors are a grapite grey or silver.

picking a color has been the toughest part of the build so far.

My wagon is painted Alpine White from Subaru. :thumbup:

I was thinking of the BMW alpine white but im sure its pretty close to subies color.

I called ermish today to have troy double check my wheel offset choices for the works but he must be out of the shop, i was hoping to ask and see how far the suspension was from being done. We will prob order wheels in the next month or two.

Oh dangit I was wrong. Alpine white is BMW. I have Aspen white from Subaru. I wonder how the two compare. When I went to the paint shop I asked for white colors, and I went through the oem white paint chips. It came down to the two whitest in that room. I turned them over and saw Subaru on one and Honda on the other. I went with the Subaru color.

So it sounds like you have an idea on what rims you are running? Wait, I just read above about the equips. 01 or 03? either are good choices! I cant wait to see this car come together.

I think the next big hurdle for this build is going to be the wiring harness. Im going to build a harness from scratch for the the whole chassis....the problem is I have very little wiring experience. I did a full wire tuck on my 00 civic si but all i had to do was depin reloom and repin all the connectors and run them through the fenders so it didn't take making anything that i didn't already have. This is a totally different ballgame. I sent the f20c harness out to a company and they reloomed and removed all the unneeded plugs and made it look really good. Then they tied it into an ARC fuse distribution and swtich panel. Im just not sure how to wire from the switch panel to all the things i need power for (lights, turn signals, fuel pump)

Run the stock 510 wiring to its stock box. The 510 has 2 wires that you need for the engine harness, Black/Blue is a start signal and really all it will do is plug into the starter. There is also the Black/White that is simply ignition on.

So unless you are running a custom dash, it will be easier to just run the the stock switches to the stock fuseblock... Basically just piggyback the engine harness from the chassis harness.

I am definitely not going to do that just because this build has so much invested in it, im not going to retain the stock wiring. I want to fabricate all new wiring harnesses for the car. I've already got the new ARC fuse block wired into the f20c engine harness i just have to figure out how im running power to swtiches for headlights, turn signals fuel pump etc. I'll get it figured out.

October 10, 2011

Ordered the full s2000 dash wiring harness so i can have the s2000 gauge cluster plugs as well as the factory radio plugs. Also ordered a new Inline Pro fuel rail and aeromotive FPR to start mocking up the fuel system when i get home. I think Im going to use all black lines/fittings just for a clean look. Its amazing how quick $500 in parts adds up.

35.jpg

02713101.jpg

$(KGrHqQOKosE5k3!lEgcBOhceKSY-w~~60_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007