Our build thread....a 2dr 510 story

I think this is just a case of starting a build thread too early. Once the fab work is done then Im sure this will turn into a regular build thread. He hasnt had a lot of pics because the cars been elsewhere. gonna be pretty cool when done im sure.

The problem is that he says he is going to post some pictures by a certain time frame and never posts them. Like the boy who cried wolf.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah your right i dont post pics when i say im going to. I have a lot going on right now other than this project but i do as much as i can. sorry for those who have been waiting for updates i just haven't been able to snag the camera and go shoot pics. i have barely had any time to work on it

i'll try to get better but over the holidays it will be tough, hang in there it will get better

Nice work! Looks like there is still quite a bit that needs to be done.

The biggest things we have left are for me to custom make new brake lines, get the fuel cell and lines in, swapping in 5 speed pedals and get the wiring together. The wiring went down to alabama and will be back monday and that should put us a step ahead because they did most of the work.

then we will strip it down and sent it off for paint and body work, its going to be a process but im just thinking one step at a time

Thats really a good start..my dime is an auto as well, what pedals are you going to use? Now do you think a stock exhaust mani would have worked? what color are you thinking about painting it?

When we bought the car the seller gave me a 5 speed pedal setup that he was going to do the swap with. and no the stock header would not have worked eitiher. the stock header was all rusted so we were going to change it regardless, but when they test fit it with the motor in it didn't clear so they ended up modifiying it. Took about $700 worth of labor to get it right.

Still havent decided on a color yet but most of the choices are factory honda colors

Might I ask? do u like a deep red? Kindof?when I do my car im going to paint it a lexus color matdor red mica..check that color out it would be a really nice color..lol I wish I had the money to start my build..lol

No we decided for sure no red...possiblities of white, silver, green and rootbeer brown, mabye some others

My vote on color is to keep it something solid. I've only seen a few 510's that look good with metallic, pearl, etc. types of colors.

Honda Championship White is a very nice color. I do like the original green as well.

My vote on color is to keep it something solid. I've only seen a few 510's that look good with metallic, pearl, etc. types of colors.

Honda Championship White is a very nice color. I do like the original green as well.

Champ white isn't going to be an option I showed it to my uncle and he wasn't really a fan. We did talk about doing an update to the avacado green that it was originally sprayed in but all that is a long way off. we need to get wiring and brake lines run and then we can think about the details. lol

Looking at some of the fabrication and it looks great! What kind of rod did you use on the transmission tunnel? Was it everdure?

Also, I have heard that one of the problems with putting a f20 in a 510 is that the engine is very tall. Does the oil pan hang down below the crossmember in your car?

Looking at some of the fabrication and it looks great! What kind of rod did you use on the transmission tunnel? Was it everdure?

Also, I have heard that one of the problems with putting a f20 in a 510 is that the engine is very tall. Does the oil pan hang down below the crossmember in your car?

Yes it is a very tall motor (and tranny) but the oil pan sits no lower than the sr20 does in the 510, and i would venture a guess that the f20 might even have a little bit more clearance. I've had many lowered cars and you just have to be mindful of your vehicle and the road when you are driving. I'm not sure what rod was used on the trans tunnel, we had all the fabrication work done at a shop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I pulled the motor out of it today to get ready to start fabbing the brake lines in teh next couple weeks. I TOOK PICS's i just have to wait to upload them once i get home tonight

What are you going to be doing to the brake lines? Once I add my 6 pot Wilwoods up front I am going to do 37* AN and all Stainless Brake lines along with bulkhead fittings for the front fenders.

ive been thinking about doing AN with stainless lines but i really havent decided on anything yet. If you get a chance will you PM me and kinda give me a rundown of what you're doing and maybe we can bounce some ideas off each other. I am running the wilwood setup from ermish, and we already have it. The kit is pretty awewsome

i need to contact troy and see if i need to run and adjustable prop valve for the rear or see what he recommends. I figured the front gets tee'd off straight from the MC to each front wheel but i wasn't sure just b/c of the dual reservoir setup. I haven't really messed with a dual res setup before

ive been thinking about doing AN with stainless lines but i really havent decided on anything yet. If you get a chance will you PM me and kinda give me a rundown of what you're doing and maybe we can bounce some ideas off each other. I am running the wilwood setup from ermish, and we already have it. The kit is pretty awewsome

i need to contact troy and see if i need to run and adjustable prop valve for the rear or see what he recommends. I figured the front gets tee'd off straight from the MC to each front wheel but i wasn't sure just b/c of the dual reservoir setup. I haven't really messed with a dual res setup before

Ill pm you.

I have Troys rear Wilwood 2 pot caliper kit with 300ZX rear rotors. You wont need a proportioning valve, unless you want to modify the brake bias to your liking. Does his kit have the 280Z or 280ZX MC? Either one will work just fine but if you want a little more rear brakes then run the 280ZX. The 280ZX is 15/16 and the 280Z is 7/8, not sure of the brake size of the front of his kit but I run a 280Z MC.

dennis,

thanks for the PM. i called troy to ask about the prop valve and he said he recommended it, not sure on the MC size but i can find out cuz i forgot to ask. Also, troy says the kit is plumbed for -3AN with 3/16" line just an FYI so thats what im going to be running for lines and fittings.

i'll be doing more planning on the brakes this week and next so i'll be in touch, im working the next 6 days so i prob wont have too much time this week to mess with it