skunks 510

skunk

here's a L head still with the gasket attached, I wonder if you could clean the rust out and take a little JB weld, let cure then take to a shop to have the surface milled down. I'm not 100% sure, just a thought.

IMG_4050.jpg

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skunk

Save yourself shit loads of trouble and time, use or borrow a pressure washer to spray all the shit off the engine before you start scrubbing it. After you pressure wash it, it will only take a little bit of cleaning with a scotch brite dish sponge & soap. I've had a few blocks, and cleaned a few. This way works a lot better than spending a shit ton of $ on chemicals to spray on, scrub, wash off, and repeat 5-6 times...

here's a L head still with the gasket attached, I wonder if you could clean the rust out and take a little JB weld, let cure then take to a shop to have the surface milled down. I'm not 100% sure, just a thought.

if your going to fill that hole get it tig welded proper, JB weld in your head is janky :blink:

got the l20b block with flat tops, thank nukeday :D

31885_417006764448_510019448_4174707_4355092_n.jpg

31885_417006774448_510019448_4174708_3775298_n.jpg

31885_417006779448_510019448_4174709_540640_n.jpg

still not sure if im going to bore the block to maybe use ka or even z pistons

or if im going to change the crank,

i need to do some more reading to see what im going for

also picked up a w53 peanut head at canby, it needs most of its guts but its still a peanut

only bad thing is i guess i didnt look it over as well as i thought i did.

31885_417006784448_510019448_4174710_2008643_n.jpg

31885_417006794448_510019448_4174712_1462479_n.jpg

is that a super bad thing like i think it is or am i ok to use this head still?

Sorry bud but those are not flat tops

yeah, im going to start working on that. Im having a hard time finding info on the w53 head <_<

i think i might bore the block out to 86m for a z piston and maybe useing a z22 crank.only a 1m bore. Im still in the reading every thing i can find part, and not so much the have any idea what im doing part :P

if your going to fill that hole get it tig welded proper, JB weld in your head is janky :blink:

yea I know, I remember a friend had a mid 70's Ford 4X w/ the 351C, one of the cylinder bore was a little egg shape/ wider in the center of bore so they cleaned it and applied JB with a straight edge, let it set then honed it, reassemabled it and it ran great for years. I was just thinking if it can work on a cylinder bore why not the water passage hole. just a thought. gl

after thinking about this, sounds like what a redneck would do. :rofl:

yeah, im going to start working on that. Im having a hard time finding info on the w53 head <_<

i think i might bore the block out to 86m for a z piston and maybe useing a z22 crank.only a 1m bore. Im still in the reading every thing i can find part, and not so much the have any idea what im doing part :P

whats wrong with the l20 in the car?

http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/enginedesign/

nothing at all, just thought it would be fun to build a cool little L engine.got a free block, cheep head, lots of the parts im thinking on useing are junk yard parts.

+ the engine in the 710 is week, very ugly on the inside.just thought i could drop the l20 out of the 510 into the 710.

that way bother dattsuns get a upgrade and can stay DD.

even tho the 510 isnt a DD yet :rolleyes:

:unsure: oh, i was told they were........ i guess they do have a bit of a dish now that im looking at them :huh:

well.......

Told by me. Sorry skunk. I'm about as clueless on the L as anybody on here. I made an assumption, and you know what they say about that... :blush: I thought they were flat top simply because they don't have any sort of eyebrow in them...doh...

If you're going to DD this thing, I'd really consider doing some homework on the impact flat-tops are going to have on that engine. I was considering putting L18 pistons(Smaller dish) into an L20b, and with a peanut head, I think the CR would have been too high for pump gas. Flat tops with a peanut head is going to give you an engine that will be difficult to run on pump gas.. just some food for thought.

If you're going to DD this thing, I'd really consider doing some homework on the impact flat-tops are going to have on that engine. I was considering putting L18 pistons(Smaller dish) into an L20b, and with a peanut head, I think the CR would have been too high for pump gas. Flat tops with a peanut head is going to give you an engine that will be difficult to run on pump gas.. just some food for thought.

Why does this seem like deja vu...???