skunks 510

skunk

When I have had this battery issue in my dimes it has ben the starter

and you know what, the hot wire that goes to the starter was a 14/16g wire(really really thin).I put a 10g wire on there(i think it was a 10, nuke helped me with this and he knew what wire size i needed and hes the man so i know its right now).Anyway, befor when ever i tryed to start it it would smoke, and now it dosnt. But i do need to add a fuselink to the hot wire to the starter, it didnt have one befor so i didnt know i needed one when i changed the wire.

But thanks alot for the insite/info DISLEXICDIME. I think im going to go ahead and find a new/used one.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, SUs are not that hard to setup, but they both have to be good to start with. The fluid that goes in the top is important also, I use power steering fluid. You also need a air flow meter to get them even, then you test them to be sure they are good/needles are adjustable. I just close the fuel mixture of one carb at a time, then disable the other carb by lifting the plunger, if the engine does not die when you disable the unclosed carb, then they are unajustable and have issues. If the engine dies when you disable the unclosed carbs then you probibly have serviceable units. Good SUs are easy to adjust. This is one way of testing them, I bought a set of unused/new Z-therapy units up north from a guy that were not adjustable, it turned out to be a set from the early days of Z-therapy before the current owners/operators, the guy up north made good and sent me to Z-therapy(current guys) and they set me up with theres(current ones) and they are awesome, it might of took me ten minutes total to adjust them. The information above is a way of testing the carbs, not the only way, probibly not the best way, just a way I do it. The final adjustment (fuel mixture)is done by idle speeds and disableing carbs which is more than I have time for right now, I am willing to help, and I am sure other guys on this forum are willing also if you ask them. I live in vancouver wa. and can help in this area. I learned to adjust SUs from I think a chiltons or haynes manual, I also rebuilt a 4 speed roadster transmission using the same manual. wayno

and you know what, the hot wire that goes to the starter was a 14/16g wire(really really thin).I put a 10g wire on there(i think it was a 10, nuke helped me with this and he knew what wire size i needed and hes the man so i know its right now).Anyway, befor when ever i tryed to start it it would smoke, and now it dosnt. But i do need to add a fuselink to the hot wire to the starter, it didnt have one befor so i didnt know i needed one when i changed the wire.

But thanks alot for the insite/info DISLEXICDIME. I think im going to go ahead and find a new/used one.

I feel you on that one bro

I can't drive till late aug, and it's making me go a little crazy!!! And my car drives even!!!!!! I just have to fix things while I wait. I'm just really anxious, I want to be able to drive to ur place, or jime's garage, or even like to a shop or Brooks, to fix, adjust and work on my datto.

I really want to show it off too :(

i can't wait to see your 510 truely up and running tho! That little ride we took awhile back was pretty redic!!!

• 3 weeks later...

So, im going to be putting the stock carb and dizzy back on the car. Ill buy some new points so the dizzy works. That should get the car on the road seeing that the tuning of the su carbs is about the only thing keeping it off the road now.

also looking for a new hood and taking the 92s off and tossing some steelies on there instead.

Im doing this because i will be selling my 510 :( Im keeping the 92s, su carbs and the el dizzy

I have been given a opportunity that i can not pass up. I can always find another 510, some opportunity's only happen so many times. Iv had this opportunity twice now and both times i waited to long and missed out. Both times i lost alot of sleep over it.

im going to go do some work on it today, iv got almost all the inside to bear metal and will be laying down some POR-15 asap.

Ill make a for sale thread by next weekend when i have the car on the road.

just thought id let some of you know so if you know some one or you yourself are looking for a 510 you know a place to look.

oh yes and this opportunity is Datsun related.

trade my irs for a solid rear axle :blink: . wagons are sick but no way.

so skunk... about that ___ your getting. pretty freakin sweet. deff a worthy change from the 510 to the ___ . :cool:

:rofl:

6102008101926AM_oh.jpg