"The Bad 510"?

I called this guy to ask how much he wanted? It's been in the DQ classifieds for a while. The guy doesn't have a computer so I couldn't get pictures. He went on for easily five minutes telling me what the car has and then simply said the body, interior, and other stuff need lots of work. He made this car seem like it was famous in the Datsun world, and kept calling it "The Bad 510".

So basically, is this worth $5k?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/1683021545.html

Make Datsun

Model sedan

City Silverton

Zip 97381

Black on White, chrome. BBB 1600, 35 Over Weber down draft, 1968 Roadster clutch kit, new radiator, new heater core, new rotors, new tires, new exhaust system, new wheel bearings, front and back, new gas filler neck,rubbers. Extra set of new American Racing Wheels,aluminum. Running chrome Allied wheels now.I have original owners sale's and maintenance pamphlet. Balanced to 9000 RPM. New battery, new electronic ignition system, new master and slave hydrolic clutch cylinders, new fly wheel ring gear and starter, new performance u-joints, plus extra ones,393's is part number. New front struts, gas struts on rear. New wiper motor and assembly, new european tail light lenses and wiring harnesses, new rear window latches, new plugs, rotor, and cap. Life time Beldon spark plug wires, ADDCO sway-bar. I have a foam spoiler for rear-end. All glass is good, except small crack in windshield, right corner. Custom plates. Extra brake drums for rear, extra front grill parts. I have all reciepts. 1980 280-z five speed transmission. PLUS MORE! 503 873--5150 Steve no e-mail

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

3o33p63l05V45Q65R6a48a5f1943748b712de.jpg3n93k03ob5U45X55S4a48e6a91857acff1dc7.jpg

3k73m23l15P65X15S2a488a19cf02737a1486.jpg3n13pb3lc5U05P35S0a481b6fe3757fb41b72.jpg

I called this guy to ask how much he wanted? It's been in the DQ classifieds for a while. The guy doesn't have a computer so I couldn't get pictures. He went on for easily five minutes telling me what the car has and then simply said the body, interior, and other stuff need lots of work. He made this car seem like it was famous in the Datsun world, and kept calling it "The Bad 510".

So basically, What makes this worth $5k?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to say without bigger pictures, but nothing makes it sound like it's worth $5k. A high reving L16 is still an L motor with only 1.6L displacement. All that new stuff could add up to around $1500, but still the rest of the car would have been only worth $2k at the most. I'd say $2500-3k would be a lot more realistic, if still not high.

• Like 1

The guy seemed pretty sketch over the phone. He would not stop talking about how great this car was, sounded very "salesman-ish". I'd like to take a look at it in person. Maybe in a couple months, when it'll still be for sale.

I'd think if you're going to take a picture of your 510, don't do it in a field, it looks bad.

Sadly, there are a few 510 owners who have many 510s and are still clinging onto the idea that it's 1985 and the 510 is still in REALLY good condition. They hoard shit, never use it, think it's worth gold, and ultimately the car in question rots out over time and becomes wrecking yard fodder.

I see a gigantic crease in the driver's fender, as if someone bent the door back against it. A motor balanced to 9000 rpm will not be using a downdraft weber, (probably a 32/36), a 393 u-joint, yeah, where did he get that from? Nismo? No, probably NAPA or Schmucks or Motion.

Stay away from this car. Stay far away. It needs to rot with it's delusional owner, sad to say. Or offer him 500 bucks. If it runs and it's all there, it's worth $500. If all the interior's gone, and it's a stock motor balanced to 9000 rpm, it's worth $50.

New wiper motor and assembly, new european tail light lenses and wiring harnesses, new rear window latches, new plugs, rotor, and cap. Life time Beldon spark plug wires, ADDCO sway-bar. I have a foam spoiler for rear-end. All glass is good, except small crack in windshield, right corner. Custom plates. Extra brake drums for rear, extra front grill parts. I have all reciepts. 1980 280-z five speed transmission. PLUS MORE! 503 873--5150 Steve no e-mail

Belden spark plugs wires. That's our premium NAPA wireset. It's worth 38.99 over the counter price. Windshield is cracked, there's 150-250 depending on where you get it. Extra drum brakes for the rear, oh hot dog! AND A FOAM SPOILER!!!! OOOOOO!!

I repeat, run, run far away from this likely unsaveable Datsun. It's probably held together by bailing wire and bondo.

• Like 1

New battery, new electronic ignition system, new master and slave hydrolic clutch cylinders, new fly wheel ring gear and starter, new performance u-joints, plus extra ones,393's is part number. New front struts, gas struts on rear. New wiper motor and assembly, new european tail light lenses and wiring harnesses, new rear window latches, new plugs, rotor, and cap. Life time Beldon spark plug wires, ADDCO sway-bar.

I've seen this before... You have to buy a new brake hose and you put it on and a few years go by and when you think about the brake hose all you remember is that it's 'new'. Well, it is/was new. :lol: Often, 'new, is confused with 'working'.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.