"The Blue Burrito"

burrito213

Hey Burrito, They all look the same, these guys up here in washington were talking about trannys the other day, and the expert missed the ID of one, but there are so many guys on this forum that know there shit, that if they know the engine it came off of, they might even be able to tell the year the tranny was made, what vehicles it came in, and even the gear ratios that the tranny offered(overdrive gears ect.) for differant vehicles. I'll look at the ebay listing. wayno

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there Burrito, That transmission will not work in your car, period. I beleave you have a E block if it is stock, that transmission is for a L block. If for some reason, another engine is in your truck, then it is an A series or some other small sized block. I looked at the engine pictures at the start of this thread, thats not a L block. My NL320 is at the bodyman/painters at this moment, mike would be able to tell you where to look for your engine numbers, I do not know where they are at on the E block, maybe around the distibuter, on the A block they are located pass. side rear(# 4 cyl.) just below the head mounting surface. wayno

Hey there Burrito, There will be two flat/smooth spots somewhere below the head mount surface on the pass. side of the engine (more than likely), one of the surfaces will have a letter such as E, J, A, ect; then a number, like 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, ect. So if it says E 1, then it is probibly a stock engine, if it is J13 or A14 or something else then it's not stock, but at least you will know what transmission to look for. Don't go and sell this truck because you get frustrated. Can you call the former owner and ask what the engine is? wayno

updates:

just got the trans and clutch set back today and to my suprise it wasnt too much.

clutch,pressure plate, throw out bearing (complete), flywheel re-surface = $119

transmission check, re-placement front plate, re sealed inspection cover = $90

parking ticket (thanks l.a.county sheriffs) = $60

lessons learned about transmission removal and repair = priceless

here are some photos:

guess what wayno,,,, you were correct and now i know what you are talking about...night and day from what is was and what they repaired:

CIMG0224.jpg

also got this stuff taken car of:

CIMG0223.jpg

trying to see about putting all new gaskets on the j15 but the engine repair places havent called me back....im thinking i'll put everything back together for JCCS but i dunno yet.

for now, detailing the engine in hopes of painting it:

CIMG0218.jpg

I hope you can get it all done for JCCS burrito! Realy wanted to check out your sweet looking 320 :cool: !! Keep us posted bro'!!

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

:bye::bye::bye:

with great hurt i say i cant get the truck out to jccs this year... i was going to peice it all together and mickey mouse some stuff and take it down there but i had a great weekend with my little gurl (meaning, one less weekend to work on the truck), and for safety i didnt want to take any unessessary risks, so im just going to show up to the event truckless...

and as far as the option to trailer the truck, my friend who has a trailer doesnt really care for japanese cars/trucks so he wouldnt be interested in going and that means no trailer ride for me. :hmm:

dont worry, i have been given a lot of help and advice and with a little more time and funds, i will bring truck back out with force....

pictures to post soon.

:( To bad you won't make your show, but take your time and do it right, that way it doesn't need to be done twice.:) Someday we are going to have to get as many NLs together as we can for a picture,:unsure: if not maybe one of these artists on ratsun can make it look like we got together with photo shop. B) wayno

:( To bad you won't make your show, but take your time and do it right, that way it doesn't need to be done twice.:) Someday we are going to have to get as many NLs together as we can for a picture,:unsure: if not maybe one of these artists on ratsun can make it look like we got together with photo shop. B) wayno

haha that would be neat.... i will make the effort to go to canby 2011 but you are right, i dont want to do any repair twice if i dont have too....

i got some stuff i'm working on now and cant wait to show you all. :)

i really have no updates on what i did to my truck... after JCCS, i realized some of the things i can do and were looking into it...:unsure: :)

however, the craigslist gods shined down on me today and gave me a blessing i thought would never in my life happen:hyper: - "FREE STUFF" :hyper: ...

i have been slowing my progress to a crawl because i have been using my "buffer/emergency/extra" money to pick up some badly needed tools and parts and maintainence for the parts to the truck and thought i cant keep doing this much longer and will eventually have to put my progress to the side untill i catch up with my finances... based on that, im also the guy who cant stop what is now a passion to get this truck running again and will do what i have to do within reason to get there... haha, the double standard...... well, i was doing my daily cr.list check and low and behold " free 320 parts".. yes, i didnt believe it but it was true... i met the guy and with out question, he gave me two boxes of stuff... now maybe im posting prematurely but i havent really looked into the boxes but i do know there were knobs, bezels, 63' stuff, and a bunch more with some still in the nissan packaging.

______________________________________________________________________________________

he may not be reading this but if you ever do..."charlie or charles k" as your name on your return email, " thank you"... like everone else helping me get to the end result with this build, thank you!...i really needed this. not so much getting the free stuff but more the offer from a fan of the 320 to another:thumbup:

CIMG0289.jpg

i know it aint much to look at but i will dig in there on a good day and see what is in there.

• 3 months later...

there is a lot going on and not much.

a lot going on as far as buying parts to do the mklotz disc brake conversion, charlie 69 has been my savior for parts i need to obtain and really came through and stepped up to help me when he has his own project he's been working on, also reseaching and trying to find shops that will do paint, powder coating, engine rebuilding, truck lining so basically a lot of networking.

not much going on is that i am taking an EMT course (dudes that drive the ambulances) and that has been kicking my ass but i'm almost done. a couple of other things that somehow keep popping up that is slowing down progress personal issues too. and money. when i got the truck, i put a lot into it and ran out of savings fast so now i am going pay check to pay check to buy some parts which is helping me research and be more cautious with my purchases plus it is a learning process as well. another slow down is the researching. in los angeles, most shops are puting their wallets first before interest and not to many people i have networked with lately are too gung ho about helping revive a datsun regardless if it is a classic. i also know its who i talk to but in los angeles, though they are a lot of datsuns, true classics like the nl320 are unheard of. a lot and i mean a lot of my accomplishments and progress have been made by the help of this site and the people associated with this site so thanks

and i havent been totally gone.. most of my threads that i started and posts were in reference to my truck.

haha.. thanks for the interest in my truck. this is motivating. i will be back, it is a slow process for now but once the ball starts rolling the pics and progress will come back

i found out that there is another nl320 in los angeles and theres probably moar so i might have to start a new specific thread to this truck... we'll see. :)

;)

Burrito contact Greg (AZHitman) he has an Datsun engine rebuilder he uses in Cali. He took his 411 motor to him for a rebuild.

I found a set of 1980 720 hubs for your Klotz disk brakes I will check on price next week. we keep looking for a good set of calipers. Check Rock Auto close outs again new close outs listsed in 520 620 & 720.

• 3 weeks later...

finally getting this truck out of hybernation

my xmas gift was to build a storage shed and thats finally rolling...

CIMG0090-1.jpg

the slow parts progress is finally making headway:

CIMG0078-1.jpg

CIMG0077-2.jpg

i know its not really an update put parts are cool.

i also went to the junkyrad today so if anyone does have some spare taillight bezels/chrome lense holder plz let me know.. oh, the reason for the junkyard reference was i talked to a guy that was putting his hubcaps back on and said these people jack your s*** so i just wanted to be safe not sorry.

this is sad but i want to show the truck. poor puppy. i gotta get her going!

CIMG0087-2.jpg