"The Blue Burrito"

burrito213

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah...i have cruised El Monte/ Bldwin Park/ La Puente... so far, detailed the engine and bought some parts.

its on jacks right now to see what i need to do (or what i can do) to the body, frame, interior..

it should be ready for the Culver City car show in May...keep posted when i get the full details

Keep those old CA plates there are places online that will restore them to original like new plates. A little speny but welworth the money for that truck.

Check with Mike Klotz on what parts you need might be worth your while to buy Melvin from him as a parts truck.

• 4 weeks later...

if you are following this thread...i have been working on this truck getting it ready for a car show and made it...hardest tune up of my life...haha, not really but life was happening around me when i was tuning up this ride.... i will have to admit this is a struggle to keep this truck but not so much for the hard to find parts,,,its the time and money... ugghhh.... any ways here are some updates

--worked on the engine a little.. cleaned up the wires and finding out where the various dissconnected wires went--

CIMG0277.jpg

--gave the heater box a tune up but crushed the brushes and bent the blower motor shaft puting it back together -oh- and also broke the thread/hole on the heater core... i knew where i went wrong and learned alot on this re-build.... the sad thing, the whole heater box had to come out for just one stripped wire...ughhh...haha--

CIMG0239.jpg

CIMG0240.jpg

CIMG0241.jpg

--did some cleaning in the interior... notice i still put the heater box back and cleaned up the vents a little... still looks nice for what it is... also added a gauge pod because my dash is currently inop... so for now,,, i have no oil pressure gauge, no fuel gauge--

CIMG0275.jpg

--added new interior...lol, okay its just a blue blanket... thanks ebay!--

CIMG0276.jpg

- truck getting cleaned up at the car wash... alot of dirt and crud in the chrome trim..old truck so it leaked all over the place but cleaned up nice--

CIMG0247.jpg

CIMG0245.jpg

CIMG0252.jpg

--FINALLY-- blood sweat and gears later i make it to the 2010 culver city car show... i am not a firefighter but was able to park the lil engine that could next to some high profile vehicles owned by firefighters in fron of their fire station--

CIMG0258.jpg

**next to a fully custom toyota landcruiser and 56 belair

CIMG0256.jpg

CIMG0257.jpg

CIMG0259.jpg

--THEN ON THE DRIVE HOME-- my transmission goes out on me on the freeway. everything i worked so hard for went back to ground zero. it really sux that the tranny went out. dont know about parts, who to trust, who to go to, and if there is even a possibility if this can be fixed and worse - yup, $$$--

*yes, this is the datto on the 10fwy. talk about a way to show off the truck...props out to the few who looked over to show respect to the sick datto on the freeway

CIMG0272.jpg

--now, i really dont know what to do.. i am going to take a break, talk to a couple of mechanic buddies, try to get the datto back on the road and come back with new life into this truck... here is the truck behnd the closed doors...hopefully not for long!

CIMG0278.jpgsad.gif

Wow this has really been a journey for you! Sorry to hear about the trans trouble. The good thing is you live on the west coast! Chances are much better you will find what you need!

I am not sure is l-engine transmissions bolt to e-series engines, but I almost feel like I read that somewhere. Also the E-series is based on the british MGB b-series engine, and MGB guys are known to use Datsun gearboxes. Rivergate is one outfit that sells adapters to use Datsun trans on MGB cars, that might be worth checking into! And heck, maybe a MGB gearbox will cross back over to your datsun?

Start digging!

AA(beep-beep)MCO

seriously! at least ask if they can still get parts.

:angry:

spendy, but they were been able to to get some early datsun parts, esp when common between others.

it looks like you snuck in and parked on the curb! :rofl:

is that the 7-11 on venice/sepulveda?

i considered AAMCO but i suposedly have a transmission contact when i have time to talk to him.

does anyone know about something called the "slave cylinder" or something like that?

- i believe it is this lil mechanism between the clutch and bolted onto the tranny...a buddy said that it might have gone bad and as a result lost clutch pressure to engauge the shifting...im not certain but he said that may be an issue to look at...would that cause tranny or dot 3 oil to leak?....i seriously havent had the chance to prop the truck up to get a good look underneath yet but if anyone can bring some insight it would help

this is what happend... in the morning it drove fine, shifted fine....as i was leaving the car show i noticed sounds of metal slaping metal, checked underneath and the "slave cylinder" which has a threaded shaft was missing a bolt or something and look like it was hitting against a metal rod... tried to fix it with a replacement screw but i didnt have the right size in the shop so i zip tied it but still didnt really work... i removed everything and drove as is and then noticed a slight clutch-to-tranny grind when clutch was engaged but only when the clutch was pushed to a certain point...this kept coming ang going until i got on the freeway and lost the full shifting.. pulled over to the right and before the tow came i noticed fluid leak..couldnt differentiate if it was clutch fluid or tranny fluid.... havent started it since.... i feel the tranny and engine were good to go but never had this problem happen to me...

any thoughts?blink.gif