"The Blue Burrito"

burrito213

so i pulled the engine and successfully ripped my rubber motor mounts....annnd, im sure i f**ed some other s*** up too but my hope is i didnt do too much damage.

in doing so i realized if i should take the clutch and flywheel off to show to the mechanic?... any input with that?

but before i decided to clean shop, i messed with my media blaster and the damn thing exploded, well, the upper drain cock thingee broke....can i remove the reservoir and pipe the air straight through or should i try to fix this break?

back of engine with clutch and flywheel:

CIMG0124-1.jpg

CIMG0125-1.jpg

tranny still stuck....yeah i realized later that i didnt take everything completely apart:

CIMG0132-1.jpg

CIMG0128.jpg

realized when it was getting dark that the engine wont mount to an engine stand with the flywheel/clutch still intact:

CIMG0133.jpg

and then my media baster breaks:

CIMG0136.jpg

but...im thinking ill just bypass that reservoir but not sure...:

CIMG0139.jpg

___i talked with the guy that knows the mechanic and i asked him if i should give him my clutch and flywheel too with the transmission for repair,,,should i?...i am so so with engines but weak on transmission knowledge____

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also didnt take into account that there was still fluid inside..drained the oil and the funnel clogged leaking oil all over the floor and with the tranny oil already leaked and leaking out i ended up with a small island of kittie litter... anybody up for some drinks on my make shift island? :lol:

You'll need to pull the pressure plate off to get a look at it's surface and disc wear before you decide to take the clutch to a mechanic.

You can probably get a cheap replacement water trap from Harbor Freight. If you can find a plug to thread in there, that would work to. It's simply to let you drain the water out as it collects in the bowl. The thumb screw type is easier to use.

so pulling things of, transmission as well, look what goodies i found:

pulling off the clutch/pressure plate i noticed one of what i believe is a lock washer that was broken when pulling of the nut:

CIMG0173.jpg

dont know if this looks good or if i need to do something: (my mechanic buddy takes forever to help me out so if i can find the source i bypass him completely)

CIMG0172-1.jpg

CIMG0171.jpg

here is my transmission... i am almost certain that this is an aftermarket because it wasnt easy to remove and i have a big hole cut in my floor board:

CIMG0166.jpg

CIMG0163.jpg

CIMG0161.jpg

here is where i think i see the damage: (once again, i am new to pulling transmissions out)

bolt should go in here correct?

CIMG0150.jpg

but the bolt in this pic looks stripped:

CIMG0152.jpg

CIMG0153.jpg

before pulling out the tranny i noticed this, doesnt look right:

CIMG0154.jpg

and this:

CIMG0155.jpg

yep....not good. You have a big hole in the floor because your truck is a '63 and had a column shift originally. The floor pan is made taller on the '65's so that the floor shift will fit. You're gonna need to start looking for another trans, if only for parts. I'm guessing that bolt/pivot should be longer....I'm afraid it's broken off in the trans. Those parts may be common to the L series 4spd....not sure.

S****!

back to ground zero... i dont think im making it to jccs in time and this year.

the problem with transmissions where i live is i have no one that i know and trust and that isnt going to ask for an arm and a leg for a transmission or rebuild. i have the other one that i picked up from (kwoo510) but i dont know yet if that'll work..ill check though..

what is the asking price (ball park) for a rebuild of the transmission i pulled out?....

You're welcome...sorry to give you the bad news. You may still want to have someone local look at it in person. I'm pretty sure you lost your shifting because that pivot came out.

On second look....I don't know for sure that the pivot goes into the trans case....it may just go into the front plate. If that's true, compare that front plate with an L series 4 spd....if they're the same, you can find those a dime a dozen...most guys can't even give them away. I just recently scrapped a couple myself.

Keep at at burrito, there are always stumbles like this with a old trusk Restoration. Check with AZhitman he might have some parts you need. By the way Burrito I got most of an old 320 manual in a bunch of parts. PM your address & I will ship it to you.

Keep at at burrito, there are always stumbles like this with a old trusk Restoration. Check with AZhitman he might have some parts you need. By the way Burrito I got most of an old 320 manual in a bunch of parts. PM your address & I will ship it to you.

sweet charlie69 i will....i know azhitman may have something... thanks for the info...

it seems like if there isnt one thing its another with this 320... i dont mind though... ill get where im going with this build :cool:

I am a little confused by these pictures, the front cover plate to the transmission has a sleeve on it that the throwout bearing rides/slides on, the front end of the sleave looks wasted and the sleeve is covering the imput shaft teeth that the clutch disc is suppose to slide on to, is that sleeve broke off the cover bolted to the front of the transmission? How did the sleeve get wasted like that? Also the throwout bearing arm mount is suppose to be mounted to the cover also. It looks like that arm was loose and took a hard impact sideways and it busted the arm mount and the sleeve and when you pushed the clutch in, it jamed the sleeve into the clutch disc and wasted it, the front of the sleeve tube. I have never seen that tube cover the teeth of the imput shaft before, ever. Lots of possible leaks in this area, cannot tell with these pictures, can you take a picture of the front of the trans. with the arm and bearing removed? I went back farther and found the pic. with just the bearing and arm there, where is the sleeve that the bearing rides on? wayno

Wayno- wow, alot of questions for the newbie of transmissions.... i will take better photos and do a play by play of what i did... i tried to keep mostly everything intact but might have moved something along the way.... trust me, i wouldnt post this if i didnt think something was screwed up with what i saw... i think before i bought my truck the owner or ??? mickey moused a or the repair and if it drove then no worries... when i bought it and took it on the freeway for a car show 15miles away i think i did the unthinkable and thats where im at now... it wasnt so bad of a problem untill i took it on the freeway but i know i want to drive this truck and not just around the corner so thats why i'd like to get this transmission fixed or buy a rebuilt on.....

check back Wanyo, i'll have some better quality photos, and thanks for the insight...

answers to come soon

okay... So I took a look and tried to get a better picture but I can post them through my phone

wayno, you are right, I think my front cover is shot... All the residue around the inside of the tranny leads me to believe that the front plate is screwed up as well as the arm...i can't pin point where exactly the broken metal shaft came from but I'm sure it was part of the cover

I don't know if this means anything but I put the shifter back on and ran a check to see if the trany would go in gear and it did... So my assumption is maybe the front cover plate is shot? Looks like thay so far

see the tube sticking up from the cover plate in the last picture, does your front cover have that tube sticking out? If not you need to take the transmission to a pro, or find out what/which trans. it is, and get another one since you already have a hole in your floor board. Pictures help a lot, If that tube is broken off the front cover, metal from that tube could have gotten into the front main bearing, that is BAD! pictures, we like pictures on this forum. wayno

i will take that plate off tonight... the pictures i most recently took look grainy so i may have to settle on buying a better camera. i am also going to talk to some people/mechanic shops around my neighborhood and see what they say for this transmission... so far i have been offered to replace the whole set up for the "L" motor and tranny but for $2200 i cant.

this has to be my transmission:

ebay:

item: 230515266575

but i cant pick it up in ohio..... do'h!

Item number:230515266575Item location:Atwater, OH, United StatesShips to:United States :blink:

Item number:230515266575Item location:Atwater, OH, United StatesShips to:United States Item number:230515266575Item location:Atwater, OH, United StatesShips to:United States

Hey Burrito213, You do not want to put a L block in your nl320, it is possible I suppose, i've seen it done in the pickups, but the floor boards will have to be cut for the transmission, I do not know if you have to cut into the radiator mount area, but I bet it's hard to run any type of fan except electric for the radiator. Do you know what the trannys out of? Unless it is some rare tranny, stick four speeds are a dime a dozen, you can't give them away except for scrap. A b210 A block is a better engine choice if your doing a conversion, but I would try every other avenue first, stick with the E block if it runs good, maybe one of the guys on the forum can tell what tranny it is. I just looked at the transmission pictures in this thread, theres a couple clear ones, whats it out of guys. wayno