"The Blue Burrito"

burrito213

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very happy I am not afflicted with whatever you have, I would have major headaches thinking as much as you do.:lol: Mike Klotz painted my engine with plasticote high temp, and he did the engine bay with VanSickle tractor paint, he liked the plasticote because it dried fast, he said he didn't like the VanSickle stuff cause it took so long to dry. Pacific Coast Datsun said that the engines were light blue when stock in Mikes NL320 thread. Mike did not say anything about the paint having to cure or heating it in an oven. Everytime I have ever heated rattle can paint it ruined it, I just paint my stuff and walk away for 24 hrs. If I don't walk away it just gets finger prints and smudges in the paint even though it feels dry. So I guess I let it cure for 24 hrs.

i painted the exhaust on my motorcycle with vht and it bubbled off the first time i fired her up granted i couldnt do the baking steps cause my exhaust wouldnt fit in my oven but ya it sucked hard... not sure 2 cylinder exhaust temp diffrence to a j13 block?????

The exhaust pipe on a motorcycle gets much hotter than a water cooled block not a fair comparison. I have never heard of any one baking their engine they just use engine paint and let it set up.

Ok now then burrito you are one brave man. I respect your willingness to learn and ask questions. You have taken on a huge project that most people never try i know it will work out. If I may a little reiteration of advice basically already given; Only fix what is broken don't start replacing parts that are working fine (the fuel pump, fuel lines...) it will only sidetrack you. If there is rust in the tank, deal with fuel tank, its the source of the problem. If you get that clean then a flush of the lines will clean them out quickly. Can't wait till you post that this thing is back on the road.

Also I seem to remember you bought a whole motor transmission assembly what ever happened to that? Why wasn't that tranny ever considered? Anyway hope it all gets together for painlessly and easily.

The E1 never seemed to get very hot at all. I painted the exh mani with bbq paint. It was sandblasted to clean steel before I sprayed it. It didn't burn off while I had it.

I haven't read this thread closely.....but there was something about curing your block in an oven?? I don't think I'd go that far....the block will do just fine with hi-temp engine paint if you prep it well. I had sandblasted the entire engine....much better paint adhesion than painting over old paint. :)

thank you Mklotz70, Wayno, Rob W., and Slowdown for the advice and info.

so yes, as far as my build goes. i am going to fix only what i have to and go on from there. it is soooo close to getting it running but finances are a hinderance.

let me also clarify what i mean by curing. VHT and maybe Duplicolor has a on and off curing process:

-on - on means on engine and ran at idle for 20-30 then cooled and then ran at idle again

-off - is when you bake the part in the oven for 30 @ 300, cool 30, and 30 @ 400, cool and so on

*im not sure about specifics but it is something like that

as far as exhaust mani, i am going to look at the bbq paint because i heard that has been used before

as for intake mani, i will propbably bake it.

@ RobW - i actually have two spare tranny's and two engines. both engines are seized and the trannys are (i dont know) status right now so they will be parts for my J15 i will put back in.

the J15 worked when i pulled it so i will stay with it but i want to paint the engine because its what i wanted to do.

i will probably do what wayno did and not touch it for 24 hours ans i am going to prep like mklotz70 with sandblast before spraying it. my media blaster works pretty well and i just got a new filter so it should work well. just have to get more blasting media.

i know some of these questions may be simple but your opinions count and i do take note when i get to accomplishing my tasks. thanks again.;)

Marcos I have not had good luck with VHT Hi temp paint. I used bar b q paint on my headlight buckets & my exhaust manifold. On my motor I used Aervoe Engine enamel. I like the dull aluminum color. My block is black.

I have not got started on your carb yet. I am pushing to get my truck ready for paint & body work. Schedule for a week from tomorrow.

I will get busy on your carb as soon as I have the wiring mess cleaned up.

• 2 weeks later...

im getting close to some more work on the 320. have to get over midterms for now. started on the engine, got paint and moar parts, and looked at what i need to do about the chassis, and then i will go back to piecing it all together and gettting it back on the road..

however, i want to get some trim rubber made and i remember speaking to AZhitman many moons ago and he mentioned he was going to use some rubber sheeting, cut to fit, to put on his lights, etc... the issue is i got a new phone last week and all my datsun notes vanished so i was wondering if anyone knows what i am talking about..

i think its something like nped or npd rubber or something with a 3-4 letter acroynym. any help?

its basically rubber sheeting i was going to trim, shape, and cut to add to the lights, taillights, turn signals.... i would like a sheet of the stuff for my applications

hhmmm...I had headlight gaskets cut a couple of years ago....I think it was edpm rubber? I've been trying to google the thread/post...can't seem to find it. I think I actually had a for sale thread on them somewhere. I didn't push them much because even after the second time, they cut them wrong. I needed to change the CAD drawing, but never got around to it. Funny....kinda lost interest after I sold the NL :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey burrito, I was looking around in ebay and punched in "1500 emblem" and found a few dodge ones that are just the number"1500", I also found a big R that maybe could be used to make the word Ratsun somehow, I am going to look into that also. wayno

cool. i will check into that. yeah, i would love datsun 1500 emblems but i am content with whatever i can find. the point is to have fun with my build. :)

thanks wayno.

so some minor updates. got working on the truck again and finally got the engine painted. two deterants was i didnt want to take too much off but at the same time the engine was pretty rusty. the second deterant was my media blaster. i just couldnt hold the pressure i wanted and needed to get the media to blast out the rust and paint and gunk. it was pretty frustrating but i did get somewhere regardless. i realy want to get the media blaster fixed before i switch to the cabinet to blast the smaller parts.

i also played with the VHT wrinkle paint for my valve cover. i did it when my girlfriend was home and she wasnt too happy when she found out what i was baking in the oven (curing the paint at 200 deg.). it was funny but she let me slide.

here are some pics:

you like my blast booth?...haha...i lost almost all my media because of low pressure.

1304457168296.jpg

i think its because i bypassed the filter coming from the compressor but then i think the top lever is bad too

1304457162145.jpg

80% done

1304466193651.jpg

primered:

1304466699601.jpg

painted...gave the J15 some love

1304468169302.jpg

because of my dissapointment with the media blaster, i went to aircraft remover for the valve cover... i like it but it is a messy job sorta

1305072369225.jpg

put the wrinkle paint on but my girlfriends gardener/handyman was cleaning the back yard so dried weeds and dirt specks kept sticking to the paint so i wasnt too too pleased with the result but it looked okay coming out of the oven:

1305083381873.jpg

1305083373057.jpg

on the engine, just got the garage to me from the ol' lady so i still need to clean it:

1305084178417.jpg

1305084196660.jpg

does anyone know if there is someone who can remake my bushings for me?... there isnt a lot but energy suspension wont help out and i dont have the machinery to cut or mold to shape.... the body mounts will probably be thick rubber or mud flaps cut down to shape but i need help with the front bushings.... i would send my set or one side if anyone is willing...like everything, if no one can help i will figure something out. just thought i would ask.

more to come. ;) goal is set for jccs.

went to the pomona swapmeet a few weeks ago and i ran into an idea i got from a few VW's. it is the two tone paint job for the rims. i made a rough practice rim as i'm still learning how to paint, strip, clean stuff.

does anyone have this option for their truck or any constructive criticism? i thought it looked kinda cool.

here is the before. since my media blaster is acting weird i used aircraft remover. good stuff.

1305072363770.jpg

primered:

1305083051847.jpg

finished prouct with the tape off:

1305238198221.jpg

1305238497095.jpg

with the dog dish on:

1305238552813.jpg

heres a head to head with the original rim and the painted rim. i didnt clear coat it because i just wanted to mess around and see what it would look like:

1305238423655.jpg

1305238409539.jpg

thanks Rob... learning as i go seems to be the trick for this build.

okay, i was looking at mklotz70's old thread on wayno's truck and i noticed the grommet that goes through the steering part of the fire wall. based on the simplicity of my build i was going to leave it blank but then i realized i will be driving this thing and i am sure that heat from the engine will seep through. are these steering grommets available or any recommendations to limit the open space for that area?

here is the oicture of what i am looking at. (this came from mklotz70's old build thread with respect to him and the current owner wayno)

DCP_8536.jpg

I don't know what kind of rubber it is, I bought it at a hardware store that sells remenent pieces, it was cheap, ratsun cheap.:lol: As I said, you need to make the hole about a half inch smaller than the column shaft, maybe even smaller, it's easy to make the hole bigger, but you can't make it smaller. I made the piece of rubber in the photo, the metal ring holding it in position was a stock piece, you will have to make one of them.

I don't have any of those rings any more.....otherwise, I could do up the CAD art, have them laser cut.....then have the rubber cnc cut as well :) One of the projects on "the list"......kinda got scratched when I sold the NL.

I don't have any of those rings any more.....otherwise, I could do up the CAD art, have them laser cut.....then have the rubber cnc cut as well :) One of the projects on "the list"......kinda got scratched when I sold the NL.

Where did you get the rubber piece in the NL, it looks like it's new, is it?