Fisch's children's book is out! JUMP!!

Big day dudes! Finally, my latest kids book, JUMP is out today! Man it seems like an eon ago the Jump saga started! And I just found out it is in its third printing already, and today is the first day it was released!!! That is crazy!

8126_1185330406671_1630597540_486116_1093000_n.jpg

It has also been getting some killer reviews! (Which rules, cause my last book Twinkle got pretty poor reviews.)

I've posted some reviews below, but the highlight was this line! "...I do not exaggerate when I say that Jump! by Scott M. Fischer is probably going to be one of the best readalouds of 2010, no question."

And I once again want to thank my Ratsun peeps for voting for JUMP in the Cheerios competition! They will officially announced in May!

If any of you have folks you sent the voting videos too who are itching for a copy of JUMP for their kids, I've heard it is at quite a few Borders, and Amazon has a killer deal on it at the moment! Here is a link!

JUMP on Amazon

Barnes and Noble is not stocking it yet (but you can order it), so if that is your only store, bug the hell out of them!!

If you get one with this image on the last page, you scored a first printing!

24735_1301345106966_1630597540_759858_5459723_n.jpg

Publisher's Weekly Review:

"Jump! Scott M. Fischer. S&S, $14.99 (32p) ISBN 978-1-4169-7884-8

Comic strip animals with googly eyes populate Fischer's (Twinkle) verse

sequence, which has the kinetic energy of a jump-rope rhyme. “Well, I'm a

bug. I'm a bug./ I'm a snug little bug,/ and I'm sleeping on a jug./ Until I

see a frog, and I... [page turn for suspense] JUMP!” The frog's tongue

lashes across the spread, while the purple and red ladybug makes a run for

it. Next it's the frog's turn; its slumber is startled by a Disneyesque

Persian cat, who is in turn disturbed by a hound dog, and so on. Fischer's

action sequences recall the Sunday funnies, and the unvarnished paper

accentuates the feeling. With each iteration, his watercolors feel brasher

and more playful (a shark looks like he's more interested in wrassling with

a croc than devouring it). By the time Fischer gets to a whale, the

double-page spread flips from landscape to portrait as the animals are

blasted into the air with a “sploosh!” from the whale's blowhole. Read-aloud

takes no more than a couple of minutes, but it's a rousing couple of

minutes. Ages 2–6. (Mar.)"

Kirkus review of JUMP:

"Nature's predatory pecking order reveals itself in bouncy rhymes and goofy illustrations. A fly, a frog, a cat, a hound, a crocodile and a shark get gobbled in succession after dramatic, last-ditch escape attempts. Each verse, sung from the animal's perspective, ends with an ellipsis, followed by a double-page spread of the critter leaping to save its hide. Children will enjoy helping the animals scram by shouting the word "JUMP!" which appears on these pages in large, expressive lettering. Fischer cleverly leaves the lip-smacking gore off the page, keeping his picture book palatable. Readers receive only mild, comic clues about the animals' demise. A frog leg dangles limply out of the cat's mouth before the hound lunges, and the final page shows all the animals tumbling, disheveled, out of the whale. Hammy illustrations keep the laughs coming with bold strokes of charcoal, bright colors, bulging cartoon eyes, gaping mouths and lolling tongues. (Picture book. 3-7)"

LSJ Fuse8 Review Elizabeth Bird Dec 17th 2009:

"I'm always on the lookout for a good readaloud for storytime. Honest-to-goodness it's a hard thing to write, though. It takes a certain ear. A certain simplicity to the text. So I do not exaggerate when I say that Jump! by Scott M. Fischer is probably going to be one of the best readalouds of 2010, no question. It was at this point in the preview that I also learned about Mr. Fischer's daily videos and the fact that I had missed them entirely. Grr, sayeth the masses. Grr! In any case, I'm pleased to report that Mr. F will also be illustrating Angela Johnson's next picture book. To which we say woo, with a side order of hoo. And let's just follow up one fab picture book with another. I'm always on the lookout for a good readaloud for storytime. Honest-to-goodness it's a hard thing to write, though. It takes a certain ear. A certain simplicity to the text. So I do not exaggerate when I say that Jump! by Scott M. Fischer is probably going to be one of the best readalouds of 2010, no question. It was at this point in the preview that I also learned about Mr. Fischer's daily videos and the fact that I had missed them entirely. Grr, sayeth the masses. Grr! In any case, I'm pleased to report that Mr. F will also be illustrating Angela Johnson's next picture book. To which we say woo, with a side order of hoo."

FISCHER, Scott M. Jump! illus. by author. unpaged. CIP. S & S. Mar. 2010. RTE $14.99. ISBN 978-1-4169-7884-8. LC 2008025861.

"PreS-K–Short rhythmic verses sing the fate of small animals that sit or snooze quietly until increasingly larger animals come along, forcing them off the page. “Well,/I’m a bug./I’m a bug./I’m a snug little bug,/ and I’m sleeping on a jug./Until I see a frog,/and I…/JUMP!” A bug jumps from a frog that jumps from a cat that jumps from a hound, and so on until the whale ends the tale with a big “sploosh!” The simple, predictable text, based on a song, encourages children to hear the multiple rhyming words and to “JUMP!” at the repetitive finish. Preschoolers will love the fun and be unaware that they’re developing phonological awareness and narrative ability, necessary pre-literacy skills. Bright, clear watercolor artwork takes full advantage of the white background. The cartoon-style pictures follow each verse’s calm beginning to its final burst of action where the illustrations explode with the fleeing and chasing animals. These large spreads and the participatory nature of the text make this an excellent choice for storytimes.–Carolyn Janssen, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, OH"

RATSUN RULES!

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to recommend it to my boss at the library I work at. Congrats!

You guys RAWK! Adam the fuse 8 review is from the head children's librarian at the NYC public library! She wrote an even more in depth review too! She makes me sound much smarter than I am and even has links to the videos of me performing JUMP to kids!! Here is a link to pass on to your boss! Thanks man!!

In depth review of JUMP!

Might & Probably? lol i did buy it.... good job scott! i think my kiddies will like it, they cant get enough books.

Shipment 1 of 1

Not yet shipped

Delivery Estimate: March 16, 2010

* Jump! Jump!

Scott M. Fischer

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

yaaaaaaAAAAAAAAY FISCHY !!! does this mean you will get royalties, and not have to go to a real job, and you can play in the garage all day, and paint us all valve covers ???? hmmmmm?????

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!! Thank you so much for the support!

Ben, wouldn't that be swell!!! You never know! Do you guys remember that kids book called the 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar'? That book came out in 1969 and I think even today, at least one copy sells every 3 min or so somewhere in the world. It has sold 30 million copies! That is a lot of royalties!

Alas we aren't talking huge print runs on JUMP. At these #s, I'd guess I'd have to be in like the 6th or 7th printing to start seeing royalties. And of course the chances of a 'Caterpillar' type success is astronomical, like winning the lottery. But hey, you just never know! And you can bet if it did happen, the Datsun population around the Fischer house would EXPLODE! Oooo I could finally get one from the 30's imported!

Ahhh feels good to dream. But back to reality for me today! (Slaps himself in face.) Deadlines are looming!!!

I got mine today!! yah looks awesome!!!! And to add a FIRST EDITION!!!!!! I'll have to get some video of my 20 month old saying the letters out of it since he is not reading yet.

Yes my 20 month old knows most of his letters, colors, and shapes. Don't tell me a Autistic Child cant learn above the ability's of normal children.

0315001523.jpg

0315001512.jpg

Heck yeah!!! Man thanks so much 72 327!! And how RAD that your 20 mth old is picking up letters!

If anyone is hoping to find it in a store, Borders seems to be the best shot, especially if you live in a populated area. Their website can show you if your local has it in stock. But lots of mom and pop book stores have it too. I wish B&N would pick it up, but they are waiting to see how it does first. So if it keeps doing well, they just might!

&searchData={productId%3Anull%2Csku%3Anull%2Ctype%3A0%2Csort%3Anull%2CcurrPage%3A1%2CresultsPerPage%3A25%2CsimpleSearch%3Atrue%2Cnavigation%3A0%2CmoreValue%3Anull%2CcoverView%3Afalse%2Curl%3Arpp%3D25%26view%3D2%26all_search%3Djump%2Bfischer%26type%3D0%26nav%3D0%26simple%3Dtrue%2Cterms%3A{all_search%3Djump+fischer}}&storeId=13551&sku=1416978844&ddkey=http:SearchResults"]Borders

JUUUUUUUMMMMMPPP!!!!

And I just want to add how rad it is that you took a picture and posted it here! It is almost surreal for me to think that on the other side of the country one of my Ratsun peeps is reading a book I wrote and illustrated to their child. Amazing.