Dual exhaust anyone?

Spades

True dual exhaust on a four cylinder? I think so! Good bye back pressure, hello best sounding 4 banger ever!

(This is actual dual exhaust, NOT A "Y-PIPE". It bolts straight to a naps Z24 four-two exhaust manifold. This set up runs two cylinders per exhaust pipe)

gallery_3158_392_13004.jpg

gallery_3158_392_10021.jpg

gallery_3158_392_2420.jpg

NAPS Z20S with a Naps Z24 pick up 4-2 exhaust manifold with a custom exhaust manifold flange, 1.75" down pipe, and two 30.5" long 2" diameter cherry bomb glasspacks and 2" exits.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a sucker for symmetrical so I always like dual over single. Every consider 45ing each out to exit in front of the rear wheels? Would be hot, esp if you can downshift some flames out of them lol.

For my z I'm 45ing right out straight downpipe, everyone I drive by is going to have hairless legs :-X.

Not symmetrical though :-(

I would run some small mufflers on that. Spmething small to tak the raspy sound out and make it rumble. I ran straight through duals on my old slant six and it was a crappy BRR-R-R-R-R-A-A-P sound. But I do like the idea a lot!!!

I dont know about dual exhaust on a 510 i would stick with the single, thats just me... ;)

It doesn't have any performance gain over the single 2.25" single pipe through a glasspack I was running before...

I don't have a video camera so no way to capture the sound, unless I find someone local to record a sound clip.

At idle it sounds like a V8...500-3000 RPM it sounds like a cross between a straight piped Subaru flat 4 and a Porsche flat 6...3000-6000 RPM it sounds like a flat head V8 with glasspacks...

I would run some small mufflers on that. Spmething small to tak the raspy sound out and make it rumble. I ran straight through duals on my old slant six and it was a crappy BRR-R-R-R-R-A-A-P sound. But I do like the idea a lot!!!

I am running 2" exhaust...if you run a REALLY long glasspack on smaller pipe it gets rid of the rasp,popping, and BRAAAAP sound.

I'm a sucker for symmetrical so I always like dual over single. Every consider 45ing each out to exit in front of the rear wheels? Would be hot, esp if you can downshift some flames out of them lol.

I will be having a local exhaust shop run two tail pipes out the back of the wagon, and its possible that it will have a flame or two out the pipe, it did when it was on the lift out of the current straight pipes. This sounds way better than a normal straight pipe or even a very long 27"+ glasspack on single exhaust.

P.S. I lost some low end torque I think, but it doesnt matter because it still gets sideways on a throttle stab, so its all good.

Nice! If you're in the Eugene area, LMK. I'd be happy to take a vid file for you. (That's the best excuse I could think of to look your car over...)

sweet! I am pretty busy with work at the moment, but hopefully at some point I can find some time to meet up!

Having too little backpressure will decrease your torque. So while you may have gained a tad at the very top end, you lost some at the bottom. The bottom is where you want the most power for a street car.

Yeah, I am sure I lost some bottom end, it is bound to happen going from a single 2.25" pipe to dual 2" pipe, but, the wagon still gets sideways with a good stab of the throttle, so that's good enough for me!

I've been considering something similar for my car. Are the outlets on the Y-pipe 2"? I was thinking about running 1 3/4" with a pair of side exit supertrapps, Goldwing mufflers or zoomies. The trick with this car is that it's lowered with what looks like 3" all the way from the exhaust manifold to the inlet of the bumper hung muffler. I wasn't sure how it would sound, now that it's running I like it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to beat the heck out of it when I start driving it, it seems to hang too low.

Because you are running duals you don't have to run large pipes in fact smaller would be better, 1 3/4" sounds fine. This is close to stock so divided by two should be good. You want some back pressure.

I've been considering something similar for my car. Are the outlets on the Y-pipe 2"? I was thinking about running 1 3/4" with a pair of side exit supertrapps, Goldwing mufflers or zoomies. The trick with this car is that it's lowered with what looks like 3" all the way from the exhaust manifold to the inlet of the bumper hung muffler. I wasn't sure how it would sound, now that it's running I like it. I'm pretty sure I'm going to beat the heck out of it when I start driving it, it seems to hang too low.

my car is lowered 2" in the front, but lifted 3 inches in the rear to accommodate larger tires...clearance isn't an issue. make sure if you use glasspacks to use very long cases...1.75" is more than enough for duals...and yes, the pipe is 1 3/4 inches up to the glasspacks. technically as you can see from the pictures, this isnt a Y pipe...this is dual exhaust. 2 cylinders per exhaust pipe.

Because you are running duals you don't have to run large pipes in fact smaller would be better, 1 3/4" sounds fine. This is close to stock so divided by two should be good. You want some back pressure.

correct. the 2" glasspacks are overkill, but finding a 20 inch or longer 1.75" diameter glasspack is difficult...the only brand i found that makes a long glasspack in 1 3/4 inch size is the old patriot smithy's...and I could not find any local parts suppliers with them readily available...so I went with 2" cherry bombs.

also, if you are not going with a 2 to 1 header like i did, and you are splitting the pipe with a Y, keep in mind when you split exhaust flow it creates back pressure and slow's exhaust velocity, so without true dual exhaust, you will most likely have less horsepower and torque and higher back pressure than if you were running single exhaust.

i like the idea of duals if i hadent just spent $350 on a 2 1/4 exhaust system and magnaflow muffler i would probibly do somthing similar

edit:72240z im with ya i like symetrical thats one reason why im debating on having a dummy tip made and added to the car it will just be there for looks but would be unique and not to hard to do just get an old muffler cut the end off and have a tip welded to it then cut the hole you would need in the body and make a braket to hold it

edit:72240z im with ya i like symetrical thats one reason why im debating on having a dummy tip made and added to the car it will just be there for looks but would be unique and not to hard to do just get an old muffler cut the end off and have a tip welded to it then cut the hole you would need in the body and make a braket to hold it

aww cmon now, thats so rice :(

you should get an MR2 muffler or something, you get the duel tips and actual function

single inlet/duel outlet

22075170031_large.jpg

I'm a sucker for symmetrical so I always like dual over single.

saw a guy in SD w/a L20b a few years ago with a similiar set up. at the qualcomm drags

two 1.75" pipes directly from the flange (like yours)

sound wasnt noticible but it was the 2 functioning pipes out the back that made me look underneath.

similiar low end loss results.

holding to theory, you should do quad exhaust. TELL me that wouldn't rock! 2 lake style pipes alongside, 2 out the back. MEAN! (srsly, not tryin to be a jerk or anything....)

I don't think the sound would be that great...and the 4 tips might be a bit much for me :)

anyway, I am not sure how much low end I have or have not lost...I am still messing with the timing and carb after getting rid of the EGR.

evens out the exhaust pulses from both sides of the motor

So it won't vibrate as much im assuming? So this wouldn't be needed on a 4 cylinder dual setup? Doesn't it also help with scavenging of the exhaust and help increase flow a bit?

Guest DatsuNoob

H pipes equalize the flow of exhaust gases so both sides are balanced and dumping evenly. I know on V8's they increase low end torque. Not really needed on a 4 cyl. Kinda pointless.