Dual exhaust anyone?

Spades

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll stick with a one pipe and maybe dynomax or magnaflow. I had a glasspack on my 71 goon before and that was too loud for me. I also had a magnaflow on my 75 Celica and I liked that sound. Never tried dynomax..I just ercently took out the coffee can out of my 71 510 and installed a cheapy turbo muffler, now it's too quiet. So what do you guys think of dynomax or raptor type. I don' want flows, heard them before in a Datsun and don't the sound. To me mufflers are sound affects, I don't think they matter that much re: performance maybe 1-2 HP.

Wonder how loud this exhaust is. I kinda of like that. But dang 2 glasspacks, I think may get pulled over in my area.

It is under the Oregon decibel limit, and my city's decibel limit as well. The exhaust is not even half as loud as it was with a single 2.25" glasspack with a single 2.25" pipe dumped in the same location.

its going to be a annoying (loud)

That go faster type loud

I made my 521 louder last week. I put a Weber 38/38 DGES on there.That made it louder

I don't know if it is faster because of the exhaust or because I removed the last of the EGR system that was stuck in the open position. Timing still isn't dialed in and I need to modify the linkage on the secondary of my 32/36 so that it opens sooner...but it is still faster than it was. Also, not louder, its quieter :)

I think I'll stick with a one pipe and maybe dynomax or magnaflow. I had a glasspack on my 71 goon before and that was too loud for me. I also had a magnaflow on my 75 Celica and I liked that sound. Never tried dynomax..I just ercently took out the coffee can out of my 71 510 and installed a cheapy turbo muffler, now it's too quiet. So what do you guys think of dynomax or raptor type. I don' want flows, heard them before in a Datsun and don't the sound. To me mufflers are sound affects, I don't think they matter that much re: performance maybe 1-2 HP.

a single straight through glasspack like a thrush is not much quieter than a straight pipe. You have to get a louvered core in order to really do any muffling, and louvered core glasspacks(at least the kind that have anything jutting into the path of the exhaust) are much more quiet, however, they flow worse than cheap-o summit dynomax rip-off turbo style mufflers. Mufflers have a large impact on horsepower, since a louvered core glasspack flows about 25% of what a borla or thrush glasspack, you can imagine that it would have SOME impact on performance.

If you don't want to go crazy like I did, the best sound I have heard on most 4 cylinder engines is a VERY long straight through glasspack (as in over 2 feet case length and a thrush or the like), and a Borla super turbo on the end a few inches from the tail pipe dump. the only drawback to that system is the cost.

The sound from two cylinders per pipe adds a tone and sound that mimic's older 8 cylinder engines, and often sounds like a Porsche or other horizontally opposed motors at lower RPM's. No matter what muffler and pipe you use, 4 cylinders to a single pipe will never come close to sounding this good :D

So what do you guys think of dynomax or raptor type.

Don't know much about the Raptor type, except for I see them on the rare, desperate occasion that I go into the local Carquest.. which puts a bad taint on them in my opinion. That could very well be inaccurate.

The Dynomax, however, I have been happy with. My boss gave me a couple a few years ago, and I put one on my 521. I've been pleased with them thus far. Feel and look like good quality. Sounds nice also... very clean.

Don't know much about the Raptor type, except for I see them on the rare, desperate occasion that I go into the local Carquest.. which puts a bad taint on them in my opinion. That could very well be inaccurate.

The Dynomax, however, I have been happy with. My boss gave me a couple a few years ago, and I put one on my 521. I've been pleased with them thus far. Feel and look like good quality. Sounds nice also... very clean.

Raptors don't flow worth a crap. Because they are relatively restrictive, any car I have heard with them was relatively quiet. Dynomax makes a good muffler, but are too restrictive and quiet for my taste.

As far as I know, Carquest stores are franchised, so the one in your area may be bad. The Carquest my shop deals with is much more knowledgeable than our local Napa and Autozone, and so far any Carquest products we have used have been of decent quality...however, we do not get the biggest price breaks from them so we often use Baxter's or AED or IMC before them.

just curious as to why v8 owners run an x or h pipe instead of running the pipes straight back without converging.

the exhaust pulses and pressure work with each other to help keep the flow constant. Basically you get more power over the entire powerband if you run it all together at one point.

This dual exhaust is cool. Way overkill on the size though.

2.25" is good for a mild L28 build, way too big for even a 2.4L four cylinder. This is like running a single 3.5" exhaust on a non-turbo Z! haha :D

This dual exhaust is cool. Way overkill on the size though.

2.25" is good for a mild L28 build, way too big for even a 2.4L four cylinder. This is like running a single 3.5" exhaust on a non-turbo Z! haha :D

Yeah, it is overkill. The problem was my parts suppliers did not have 1" bends and elbows readily available, and not even patriot makes a 1" glasspack, so 1.75" is what I ended up with. I know that I will have lost lower end torque and gained higher end horsepower, but it is a naps motor, and it had plenty of low end torque and not so much high end horsepower, so I am fine with that. I still haven't figured the timing issues out and it still gets sideways easily enough, and it sounds good while doing it.