"The Opposition" Goon Build

Bob3

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is full of win! I wish to see more pictures, although I will say I personally would have kept the miata I don't normally see them that clean,but I also don't have a shop or the skills to do the swap you are doing. That being said a goon is WAY cooler than a miata, and a goon with a s2k engine and miata suspensions is AWESOME!

Yes, the 510 sedan suspension would be easier, but then you are stuck with the semi- trailering arm set-up. The Maita set-up is a much better suspension wise and plus it is adjustable stock from the factory( camber and toe). There is also the S13, which has been done before, but there is a lot going on there with the multi links.

There are two another big problems on the wagon besides the width problem and this applies to any non stock suspension. (1) the distance from the chassis structure/ cargo floor to the wheel center line is not very much, so at a lowered height there is not a lot of room to work with. Using the 510 setup helps in this area, because you are not dealing with the upper "A" arm. This is what I am dealing with on my project right now, the upper "A" arm/ upright is close to the frame. It might be possible to modify the frame to get more travel but this is a main structure part of the wagon and when you start to hang the diff and the mountings of the springs it is even more so. The (2th) problem which relates kind of to the first is where to put the springs? If you look at what most non stock wagon suspensions on this site and on the Realm, most have gone into the cargo area. For me this isn't a option, one of my original goals was to have a stock appearing wagon when you looked inside of the cargo area. There is only about 12-13" from the Maita lower shock mounting hole to the upper frame area at my desired ride height, so either you need a very short coil over with the needed travel($$) or go to a bell crank/ push rod setup and mount the coil overs horizontal.

P.S. Bob,

Since you race the Maita's, what is the total bump and droop travel you guys run on them? How much bump do you have before you are hitting the stops? And a final question what spring rate is common?

• 1 month later...

ANY UPDATES?

Nope. I have Artist's Block on The Opposition right now. Here's what I'm reading to help me.

How to Beat Artist's Block

It’s a devastating thing for an artist to feel they’ve lost their inspiration, to encounter a creative block. But suffering from artist’s block doesn’t mean you’ve lost your artistic ability and it can be overcome. :rofl: :P :rofl: :confused: :baby: :unsure: