"New" 521 owner from SPEED Channel

Rutroe

What's up gang,

My name is Rutledge Wood and I am lucky enough to work for the SPEED Channel. I travel with the NASCAR season but love all kinds of cars, trucks and bikes.

I've peeked at the site before, but today was finally ready to join. Picked up a 1970 521 tonight. I've watched it for years and grabbed it when I saw it pop up for sale. I only have a couple quick pics. The truck in my eyes is perfect, but I would like to try and put some disc brakes up front because it doesn't stop that well.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for the brakes, it would be great...thanks for checking out the pics. More to come in the daylight.

Peace,

Rutledge

Datsunfront.jpg

datsuninterior.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Rutledge!

There are a lot of great people on here, with a massive amount of knowledge. I caught the "Ratsun Bug" a few years ago. Now I have 4 pick ups and I'm picking up my first 510 wagon this weekend!

Ask questions and have fun! :P

Bob

Welcome,

Nice truck, don't change a thing, looks great.

yes Disc brakes are a must, maybe dress up the motor with some dual carbs, and a 5 speed that will

make a huge improvement in driving pleasure.

Have fun!

Oh ya, I want less NASCAR and WRC back on speed, and maybe some of the vintage rally that speedvision used to show!

Picked up a 1970 521 tonight. I've watched it for years and grabbed it when I saw it pop up for sale. I only have a couple quick pics. The truck in my eyes is perfect, but I would like to try and put some disc brakes up front because it doesn't stop that well.

Welcome. Looks very nice.

I thought Mike Klotz had documented the disc brake conversion, but, if so, it's not in the How To section. Hmmmmm.... <_<

Thanks everybody for the support...I'm really pumped about it.

The interior is mostly custom cut aluminum panels that have been wrapped in red and white checkered gingham table cloth fabric. It actually looks awesome, really clean, and really well done. Sean, the previous owner, took really good care of it. I'm really impressed with him assembly.

And Greybeard...I'm a WRC fan too. Sold my 04 Subaru WRX STi in the fall and boy do I miss it. But I'll tell 'em there's another person that wishes it back.

And the truck is lower than it looks, but the ride is so nice, I'm not going to mess with it any time soon. My Civic wagon was so low when I first got it that I couldn't pull into my driveway, so I'm not trying to get back to that feeling:)

Wheels are actually some rock crawler style generic steel wheels with some custom made aluminum covers with caps that the previous owner made. They looks great up close. Quality work. I wish the whitewalls were a little bigger, but again, it's great for now, so I'll leave them be right now.

Thanks again

Beautiful Truck Congrats on your new family member and welcome to Ratsun.

As far as front disk brakes go if you want to run stock 14" wheels contact Mike Klotz (mklotz). I you are running 15" or larger contact Beebani. Both are long time Ratsun members. Beebani usually has them listed on Ebay, both are quality parts.

Oh and plaese pos a good picture of the door graphic.

Im really diggin the matched center console. the disk swap consists of later model 720 pickup front assemblies with custom upper control arms made by a fellow board member. lots of info on that floating around. lots of 521 builds aswell in the projects section if you want more ideas. welcome to ratsun

Let me second the opinion of adjusting the brakes. The brakes are not self adjusting.

While you are at it, grease front suspension parts, kingpins, drive shaft slip yoke, and I am sure others will add to my list.

Wash out behind the front fenders, down by the doors, and up over the headlight buckets.

Add a heavy ground strap from the engine to the frame.

Add a heavy ground strap from the engine to the cab.

This is important because if the engine loses ground, a lot of the electrical will try to ground through the throttle and choke cables, overheat them, melt the plastic, and destroy the cables.

Welcome to Ratsun, Nice looking truck that you acquired, You came to the right site for help with it. Great bunch of people here. You travel with the NASCAR circus? I wont hold that against you, LOL. I have been watching Speed since it started, but only the F1 races, I used to go to the British GP every year in the 90's. Hey get me David Hobbs and Bob Varshas autograph. :)

Add a heavy ground strap from the engine to the frame.

Add a heavy ground strap from the engine to the cab.

This is important because if the engine loses ground, a lot of the electrical will try to ground through the throttle and choke cables, overheat them, melt the plastic, and destroy the cables.

DANG! That sure explains a lot about the wackness under my hood and dash. One chassis & body ground added to the "To Do" list.

Welcome to the site! Sweet truck! Are you a first time Datsun owner?