Does this scare you?

Many people in the oil industry say we are going to be out of crude in 30-40 years. does it scare you that all this time and patience and money and energy that we put into are vehicles might all be for naught if we have nothing to fuel them with. personally, i think in 30-40 years they will have some kind of man-made fuel that will work in our current motors, but i guess it is something to ponder on. oh...and if you are bummed out about this thread, go to http://www.genuinehotrod.com and look at the cool stuff they have for your home and garage...that will make you happy again

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You hear both sides of the argument. Some industry analysts say it's over 100 years, but they aren't counting the enormous increase in use in China and India, where growth is unchecked.

Recall that Nazi Germany made aviation fuel from coal... it's pretty expensive, though, to process coal that way even today.

But the real problem will be in other products currently made from crude. Lubricating oils and plastics are a concern, too.

When gasoline runs out there will be alternatives, but electric will probably be the answer. Or hydrogen. But you will still need grease and lube oils... which are going to cost a LOT more.

Hopefully 30+ years, I wouldn't doubt it if it was less. Our country burns 87 million barrels a day :eek: We are doing it in style with our SUV's though :cool: Oil is like cheap labor, once its gone life will be changed forever, how to get that happy meal toys half way around the world so our kids will choice mcdonalds over burger king.... The average distance food travels is 150 miles! Everything requires oil. 130,000 btu's per gallon is some serious energy, to bad only 20% makes it to our tires. All the rest goes up in heat... The furnace I installed in my mom's place could run for 2 hrs off that kind of energy.. Instead it will propel and suv hopefully 8-10 miles... Or my buddy eds geo 44 miles.... Shit my truck would make it 29 or so. Our economy is setup around oil, throw it away its all renewable right? I think if we worked together we could get through it, like that will happen though.

it will be interesting to see how long crude oil is around. i had a buddy that worked on an oil rig in the gulf of mexico and he sayed that in the two years he worked on the rig they drilled, piped and capped like half a dozen locations. he said he didn't know exactly how much oil was there but that they were under orders of the US govt to cap them and to move on to other locations. we didn't talk about it very long so the details might not be exact. plus he said that even tho on the rig the chain of command is pretty short that there was alot of stuff done without real reasons given, just that they were "told" to do stuff. i had read about this kind of thing on a conspiracy site, which you can't usually trust, that there are reserves that the us govt has control of that are being left undisturbed so that when the oil runs out over seas that the us will sort of take over control of the oil market.

as far as alternatives, even tho now some of the stuff is in fact expensive, as soon as demand changes it will probably be about the same prices. personally i think hydrogen will become a much more used fuel. we are seeing more and more about auto makers testing hydrogen vehicles for long term research, lexus has one that's run on solely hydrogen for like a year or two and i think bmw developed one like a decade ago.

we'll see what happens. :D

it will be interesting to see how long crude oil is around. i had a buddy that worked on an oil rig in the gulf of mexico and he sayed that in the two years he worked on the rig they drilled, piped and capped like half a dozen locations. he said he didn't know exactly how much oil was there but that they were under orders of the US govt to cap them and to move on to other locations. we didn't talk about it very long so the details might not be exact. plus he said that even tho on the rig the chain of command is pretty short that there was alot of stuff done without real reasons given, just that they were "told" to do stuff. i had read about this kind of thing on a conspiracy site, which you can't usually trust, that there are reserves that the us govt has control of that are being left undisturbed so that when the oil runs out over seas that the us will sort of take over control of the oil market.

as far as alternatives, even tho now some of the stuff is in fact expensive, as soon as demand changes it will probably be about the same prices. personally i think hydrogen will become a much more used fuel. we are seeing more and more about auto makers testing hydrogen vehicles for long term research, lexus has one that's run on solely hydrogen for like a year or two and i think bmw developed one like a decade ago.

we'll see what happens. :D

Ha! Oh we (the U.S.) have tons of grude.. but we're not drilling right now .. well not to the capacity that we could. I believe we're sitting back, buying from everybody else and waiting those sources to go dry (see we're not as dumb as you think).. then you'll see some serious table turning. We have a vast supply in the United States... we're just waiting. Why do you think other forms of energy aren't utilized??? We're waiting for our turn with this whole oil thing. There are already other forms of energy that has been developed that we could use. It's very interesting some of the things you learn when you talk to people who are directly involved in the business. Not to worry.. we'll be driving around and polluting our atmosphere for years to come!

Man, i love the input you guys are giving. i always have this cocky attitude like i have thought of everything in this oil business...and you guys brought something up that i have never even thought of....we are going to be the oil rich nation later on. that would be pretty smart for once...good idea. but yeah, i just don't want to have to take my 350hp self built ka24de out of my fantasy truck in 30 years because we are all switching to electricity. have you seen the torque curve on an electric motor lately? hahahhaha. have you seen the crower 6 stroke motor yet? http://www.crower.com

The way I understood it, there will still be oil in the ground long after we've killed ourselves off...if we continue to use it at the same rate.

There are other solutions to the energy crisis. People just need to step up.

Anyone seen the Hydrogen BMW? I want a Hydrogen Ratsun :D

The US choked off oil to Japan before WWII and by the end it was making aviation gas from pine trees!!!

In 1970 my 300HP Dart ran on 34 cent a gallon premium (Imperial) gas. or under 8cents a liter. Fillthe 15 gallon tank for $5!

Recycled nuclear energy at that...too bad when you recycle nuclear waste it becomes 'weapons grade' and you just can't have that. Better to just bury it in the ground and forget about it. :rolleyes:

Someday the world may smarten up, but until we get over our fears, our paranoia will have the best of us.

You are completely right, they are always trying to make everybody Paranoid. Remember bird flu? SARS? West Nile? KILLER BEES!!!??? it seems like every year the media has something else to worry about. My personal favorite is how after katrina everybody said the hurricanes were going to get worse...then we had rita which was some kind of a flop and since then, hardly anything. silly hippies. hey, they are all talking about gas prices and inflation like its the end of the world...but its not yet to how bad it was in the early 80's. can you guys remember how the media handled it then? obviously i wasn't around then, but i was wondering if they talked like it was dooms day all the time like they do now.

for the conspiracy buffs...maybe we have tunneled under the earth and we are actually stealing oil from the arab nations now and putting it all into storage so we can shift the balance of power. when they have nothing at all to hold us down...we dominate...its just a thought, i don't actually believe that...or maybe i do....

dont be skurrreed :lol:

we will reach peak production in ~25 years, which means after that point production will decrease for another few decades till the dino(juice) is again extinct.

my son will have invented a new type of power by then, so no one needs to be concerned :mellow:

i wont be driving in 30-40 years anyways, ill be cruising in my nuclear powered, invisible aluminun, thought controlled, wheel chair, ratsun styled of course :w00t:

for the conspiracy buffs...maybe we have tunneled under the earth and we are actually stealing oil from the arab nations now and putting it all into storage so we can shift the balance of power. when they have nothing at all to hold us down...we dominate...its just a thought, i don't actually believe that...or maybe i do....

I don't want to dominate.. just don't want to rely on anybody else.. kind of like when I work on my projects at home.. OK, maybe nothing like.

but the fact is that this country is so in love with automobiles that even when there's no more gasoline, there will be somebody somewhere who has figured out a way to retrofit a gas engine to run on some other crap... whether it's more efficient or better for the enviroment idk. like datzenmike pointed out, all it's gonna take is one major country to be cut off from oil supplys and then there will be a huge boom in alternative fuel sources. and the way the world economy is, no matter who loses oil first, all the other major countries will quickly follow.

and there's tons of fuel sources nobodies ever tried out... hell, maybe we can build an engine that makes tons of power and runs really efficiently on babies. HAHA

We can call our babie fuel population control and just use the really ugly babies. I thought in the 70s-80s they figured out that we can use alcohol without much modification to the current engines we have. I know you would need to replace the fuel lines but surely there are ways. Regardless, we will never give up our vehicles. We will have something that powers them... One more thing on the babies, methane, from baby shit.

dont be skurrreed :lol:

we will reach peak production in ~25 years, which means after that point production will decrease for another few decades till the dino(juice) is again extinct.

my son will have invented a new type of power by then, so no one needs to be concerned :mellow:

i wont be driving in 30-40 years anyways, ill be cruising in my nuclear powered, invisible aluminun, thought controlled, wheel chair, ratsun styled of course :w00t:

Brian peak production was reached in the US in the late '60s. Oil companies over inflated their estimates of their reserves to please the stock holders years ago. This is a finite resourse and no amount of increased fuel economy will stop it from running out only slow it down. By the time it runs out this world will be way past fixing. If you save a gallon of gas some fat rich fuck will just buy it for his Hummer anyway... fuck it, I ride my bike to work. Might as well get used to it.

yea you know there's a company remaking the deloreans. they are mainly just refurbishing and restoring old ones but they are also going to make like 200 brand new ones... craziness.

i do think electric will be a very viable source of automotive power. if the battery technology would pull it's head out of it's ass. i read an article probably a year ago about this female scientist that had discovered this new way of storing energy that would make batteries litteraly as thin as a piece of packing tape. and it would basically be such a simple form of storing energy that if you were in a bind and your cellphone battery died on you and you needed a charge, rather than plugging it in and waiting to use it you could just go buy another lil strip of power and peel the old one off and stick the new one on and be good for a full battery charge. i don't know how realistic that would be to just throw them away but the fact is that she discovered this perfectly useable and reuseable battery that was tiny in comparison to a comporable battery and it's not on the market, i'm assuming because they're still doing testing on it or they want to wait to make millions more off of it... idk i hate corporations.