Phlebmaster's 1972 Chevy C20 truck project

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Updates!!

I picked up my gear drive today and installed my headers. :mrgreen: I also have another goody for my truck...an Accel HEI dizzy.

sqmdqv.jpg

Here are my MR Gasket headers installed and waiting for gaskets and header bolts. I can't wait for my next video!! :D

2a0jaxd.jpg

2ztars2.jpg

igkz1y.jpg

so when is that engine going into a datsun? is it gonna be soon??

DATSUN OR BAN!

:lol: Don't worry

Getting ready to pull my 350 and rebuild the bottom end. I test fitted my headers to make sure of my clearance and they fit nicely with very few mods.

My gear drive is soaking in heavy oil pending install when I pull the motor. I will make sure to document to the entire rebuild including the cam gear drive in order to hopefully help the next guy out.

First thing I will do is make a video of my header exhaust sounds with the cam prior to running that noisy cam gear, then an after video is in order.

phleb

are you going to do a proper rebuild on this engine? Take it and have it hot tanked, stripped, bored (at least honed) Bearings, blah blah? Or just a quick cleanup regasket type?

The block will be disassembled and all new bearings put in, cylinders honed, pistons re-ringed, etc... The top end is all redone and the rings are not happy about the extra compression. lol

The block will be disassembled and all new bearings put in, cylinders honed, pistons re-ringed, etc... The top end is all redone and the rings are not happy about the extra compression. lol

Right on aaron. It will look tons better when its all cleaned up and re-painted :D Those old small block chevs and even fords are pretty reliable. seems like the drive train out lasts the body :lol: Cant wait to see that thing in a Z car..

Cool Beans ! Very cool seeing this transform , bet you'll be able to do this blindfolded soon ;) :D

Yeah funny how that works with rebuilding one thing puts more pressure on the other side of the connected system ! LOL ! ( calipers , wheel cylinders , clutch hydraulics , valves , rings , etc... )

Chrome Moly Or Cast Rings for your rebuild ? ( I have heard and seen 50/50 chance of seating for chrome moly, but wouldn't stop me ! LOL ! ) Yeah I guess the only thing is Cam Bearings will be a challenge ( if you need ) , but your probably just fine with those :D ( I imagine a few dollars to have those pulled and installed )

Have you thought about making a "deep sump oil pan" from spare oil pans for SBC ?

Later ,

DTP

Ok, after noticing that I may have a cracked block in the lifter valley I did some research on how to repair it or what to do. The consensus was to replace the block. :agree:

I just picked up a short block with a code of: T0823CRX and casting of: 3970014, 2 bolt main. The block is dirty, but not all rusted out like the picture seem to make it look. There is also no ridge on the cylinder walls!! It was stored in a temp controlled shop. My camera sucks and it was raining tonight. :(

With a date matched set of heads date code: C 19 4 and casting: 8795896.

60 CC 1.72 intake 1.50 exhaust

Now I will just rebuild the short block and swap it into the truck, then figure out what can or cannot be done with my high nickel short block after I pull it.

Here are the pictures of my goodies......

30izxoh.jpg

9ka0e9.jpg

28wdpuf.jpg

23l1nx1.jpg

m91rgl.jpg

I noticed the pistons are weird looking...they have a stamped notch or hole in them??

5ca7oy.jpg

25tf8g9.jpg

343i5xe.jpg

I started the tear down of my new block tonight. I documented each step so this will hopefully be helpful to the next guy.

I also picked up 2 sets of 350 heads and will install them on the new block rather than the 305 heads I am running now. I now have 4 sets of heads, the 305 heads in my truck now, the 896 power pack corvette heads, a set of cracked 487 heads,(good for parts), and a rebuilt set of 624 heads with 1.94/1.50 valves. :)

1q1zqv.jpg

2ezpojp.jpg

2aj9q2e.jpg

Here is a bad picture of the crack that runs from the exhaust valve...

23v89e.jpg

Here are the power pack heads...

znlst3.jpg

Here are the rebuilt 624 heads that I will use on the new block.

hsw8hu.jpg

2eyw7tj.jpg

Here are the pics of the 350 tear down......And so it begins... lol

307yyba.jpg

Dished 4 valve relief pistons...meh

2cr3xw2.jpg

2mcipog.jpg

35ioi2r.jpg

e6c7sg.jpg

28wcdxc.jpg

This looks as it should for an engine that sat for a long time. The stuff is only surface and wiped off easily.

wlfam0.jpg

Main bearings are not too bad

efgb52.jpg

Got everything marked and lined up....

2qmjiwn.jpg

I even remembered to mark the main caps before removing them.

158bg5g.jpg

2a7e6px.jpg

15d6vyc.jpg