Phlebmaster's 1972 Chevy C20 truck project

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got me a new Edelbrock 1404 500 CFM carb tonight that is actually NEW!! Thanks to kamakazi620. :) I also have a good Q-jet coming tomorrow....so I will have two q-jets (one good & one worn out) and one new 1404 carb at my disposal. I am very happy about that. :)

68au8h.jpg

oaaicp.jpg

Funny thing...it says Weber on it! lol

xeg2hg.jpg

2rp48lw.jpg

Edited by Phlebmaster
Please tell me your going to get ride of thoes damn exaust manifolds and go with some hedmans. They sound fantastic and their the only company that makes headers that go around the stock clutch linkage.

lol yes I am working on getting headers. *;)

Here is that video I promised!

• Like 1
I might be interested in those manifolds when you get your headers. Pm me some better pics, so i can see if they are the ones that i need?

I will let you know. *:)

if you did not get rid of that holley i have a 650cfm carb same as the one your running now its on my 383 stroker but i think i need to jump up to like a 750 maybe you wana work out a trade????

I sold that Holley to purchase the Edelbrock I have now. Thanks for the offer.

• 2 weeks later...

I might be interested in those manifolds when you get your headers. Pm me some better pics, so i can see if they are the ones that i need?

Hooray!!  :w00t:  I am getting a set of headers for this beast. I am trading my Q-Jet carb for them. I will post pics of them as soon as I can pick them up. :hairy:

Jason, I will send you pictures as soon as pull the rams horns off.   :thumbup:

Hooray!!  :w00t:  I am getting a set of headers for this beast. I am trading my Q-Jet carb for them. I will post pics of them as soon as I can pick them up. :hairy:

Jason, I will send you pictures as soon as pull the rams horns off.   :thumbup:

Headers for Phleb's C20 = Win :thumbup: What color are you going to paint them ? :D They have special allen head locknuts inside the bolts on ebay to make sure those don't come loose ( or leak like many do eventually ! ;) )

Headers for Phleb's C20 = Win  :thumbup:  What color are you going to paint them ?  :D  They have special allen head locknuts inside the bolts on ebay to make sure those don't come loose ( or leak like many do eventually !  ;) )

Going with black, I will use the special header locker thingys with the wire?? I will also get the heavy header gasket so hopefully they won't leak for awhile. lol

Going with black, I will use the special header locker thingys with the wire?? I will also get the heavy header gasket so hopefully they won't leak for awhile. lol

Yeah , blacks the best for that ! :D Yup ! Thicker Gasket, and Thicker Flanges the better ;) Don't be afraid of High Temp RTV if you need too for those surfaces though :) Worked good on my old Subaru :ninja:

I've never had a leak using stock (layered steel) manifold gaskets. Can't say the same for (paper) header gaskets.

hahaha ! obviously you take care of your cars ! Thinner flanged 350 cheapy headers I have seen warp or mis-aligned areas , and had to re-seal all the time ( but usually the people didn't have money or neglected their cars as well ??? so ? IDK ) ! hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmm somethings missing , you must not be doing 75-90 mph in your cars like I do in the summer :D ( my 73 Z ) BTW Never had a ticket ! But , that exhaust heats up , and TICK TICK TICK !!! Hahaha silly paper gaskets ;)

i have 2 friends who have a truck just like that

one of them is a 1972 gmc all original except for the motor. i helpe him rebuild it it has a 350sb bore .30 over with a 850cm holly carb, has a turbo 400 tranny and a posi rear end, truck is scarry fast!

my other buddy has a early 70's chevy just like yours, its suppost to have a 305 in it, but we put a 327 in it for shits and giggles. he had a extra small block laying around, it had a turbo 375 tranny in it. i helpe him built the motor, its a bad ass truck but the gmc can smoke it no problem.

I picked up my headers tonight. Maybe a swap this weekend?? I don't have the flange/reducer portion that goes from the headers to the main exhausts, or the heavy gasket, or the locking header bolt/nuts. :(  But those are not that expensive.  :D

24q3kuo.jpg

8x7erb.jpg

2r7ub5u.jpg

I got bored this weekend so I decided to swap in my cam. :D The cam is a Comp Cams Magnum series 270H 112LSA with the 4/7 swap. This was actually easier than I thought it would be. I have no coil bind or issues with my rocker travel. The springs are new springs so will work with this cam until I can get my vortecs.

Here are the pics.

This picture was a big help!

2j17byp.jpg

I was happy to see this under the timing cover. :)

2lrl2t.jpg

Here is the old lifter...it looks like someone has replaced them along with the cam because the cam looks to be in great shape and the lifters are definitely Comp Cams lifters.

112hh00.jpg

21ad0me.jpg

Here is the new cam all lubed up and ready to slip in.

2wf25vm.jpg

n350f5.jpg

Here is the old timing set, I am looking for a gear drive set up.

10p99hd.jpg

It was late so I was not going to rev the motor at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes...I will do this later today. :) Video to follow of course!

I had a similar set up in an 83 El Camino, basic stock 350 shortblock with dished pistons but had the Vortec head kit on it. Had a Performer RPM intake and a Speed Demon 750 double pumper(Holley 4150 carb but better) and a decent cam. You can get the vortecs made for higher lift cams now, when I bought mine I couldnt go higher than a .470 lift. Even with the milder cam it had a nice lope to it and had plenty of balls. If you go with the Vortecs and the cam, get a better intake, at leasst the Performer RPM with its raised runners and a bigger carb. 500 CFM is too small for a built 350 with a bigger cam and headers. A 650 would be a decent size. I never had a lot of luck with the Edelbrocks(Carter clones), they would run great but would heat soak and puke gas out the vents on a hot engine and flood it out. Be hard to satrt after sitting a little bit on a hot engine. I had to use a heat sheild/spacer to solve that problem. Always had the best luck with the Holley 4150 carb, mainly the double pumpers. The Q jets in tuned form are good to and have tha cool sound when the hge secondaries open up, lol. I had a 72 C20 also with a 350 and three on the tree. Was a nice truck and did the intake and carb on it along with a conversion to a racing HEI set up.

I had a similar set up in an 83 El Camino, basic stock 350 shortblock with dished pistons but had the Vortec head kit on it. Had a Performer RPM intake and a Speed Demon 750 double pumper(Holley 4150 carb but better) and a decent cam. You can get the vortecs made for higher lift cams now, when I bought mine I couldnt go higher than a .470 lift. Even with the milder cam it had a nice lope to it and had plenty of balls. If you go with the Vortecs and the cam, get a better intake, at leasst the Performer RPM with its raised runners and a bigger carb. 500 CFM is too small for a built 350 with a bigger cam and headers. A 650 would be a decent size. I never had a lot of luck with the Edelbrocks(Carter clones), they would run great but would heat soak and puke gas out the vents on a hot engine and flood it out. Be hard to satrt after sitting a little bit on a hot engine. I had to use a heat sheild/spacer to solve that problem. Always had the best luck with the Holley 4150 carb, mainly the double pumpers. The Q jets in tuned form are good to and have tha cool sound when the hge secondaries open up, lol. I had a 72 C20 also with a 350 and three on the tree. Was a nice truck and did the intake and carb on it along with a conversion to a racing HEI set up.

Nice! I will keep the carb and intake thing in mind.

Here is the promised video. :)

This was my first time swaping a sbc cam. I left the 081 heads stock on my 350, but put new extreme push rods, 270h cam, and lifters. So, you can run a .470 lift cam on stock heads. I spent many weeks looking for that answer ans now I have the experience for my self. I also could not find a good sound clip of this special grind cam online- so now there is one....enjoy!

Just so you know, I am running 305 (081) heads on my 350 and I am very happy with the results. I read way too many posts on way too many forums saying yes...no...yes..no....and I was like what the hell?? So I did this for my own knowledge and experience.

So, let's sum this up:

First Myth, you can't use 305 heads on a 350:.....

Can you run 305 heads on your 350? = YES! And you can get a decent flow with the right heads, stay away from the swirl port heads. Use the 081 non-swirl type. I would have prefered to used some 350 after market heads or maybe even vortecs....but I had these heads so I used them. 350 heads will out flow and out perform any 305 heads anyday, but if that is what you got...them use them.

Be carefull about your compression ratio, I have stock 12.5cc- 4 valve relief dished pistons and with 58cc 305 heads I am at about 9.74:1 to 10.00:1 compression so I will be running premium fuel. Flat top pistons will make your compression ratio bump beyond that and you may be buying expensive gas to drive your rig....so look out for that.

Next myth, max lift for stock heads is .450 or ?????:.....

Can you run a .470 lift cam on stock heads?? = YES! but you must make sure you look for coil binding and clearance between the spring retainer and valve guide before you run the motor. DO NOT REV your motor the moon!! Stock springs especially worn ones will not handle the ramping at all, and you will have valve float. I recommend using the recommended set-up by your cam manufacturer.

I went through many weeks of looking for a simple answer online and never found a strait answer. I hope this information helps the next person who reads this post.

You can run high lift cams on stock heads checking the things you stated but its a waste of time with the 305 heads, which you allready know. They will have higher velocity ports now so that the low end will have more power though. The smaller ports will have faster velocity which is good for low end power but will choke it off at top end but if youre not racing it it wont matter. One other thing you need to check if using stock replacement rocker arms is the size of the slot where the stuf goes through. Make sure you either get the elongated slot or aftermarket roller tip(or better, full roller rockers)to solve that problem as well as reducing friction. Just swapping over to Vortecs with the updated rocker arms(Vortecs use self aligning rockers) will make a bug difference later on.