canby 2010

sick620

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe I'm just missing it but what does your car need in order to qualify for the autocross. I have never done that before and I think it would be fun.

just dont have visually dangerous things wrong with your car (leaking fuel hoses/ massive oil leaks, things about to fall off), get an over the top battery tie down, and bring a helmet.

if you dont have a helmet its ok, I always try and bring extras and they bring a few too

just dont have visually dangerous things wrong with your car (leaking fuel hoses/ massive oil leaks, things about to fall off), get an over the top battery tie down, and bring a helmet.

if you dont have a helmet its ok, I always try and bring extras and they bring a few too

Do they also check your wheel bearings, tie rods, ect? Some autocross races won't let you race if you have any slop in your front or rear suspension. Also, no speaker boxes that are not tied down solid. (better to just remove them completely) No tools or junk loose in the car anywhere.

Tech isnt a big deal as long as you havent done anything really stupid. Any car thats safe to run on the street can autocross.

Make sure you have all your wheel studs are in good shape and you have all your lug nuts in place. I've seen 2 cars now loose a wheel and come to a grinding stop on the course. Its not fun for anyone to wait for your ass to get towed off the track but people WILL laugh at your wheel running off into the sunset....

Make sure you have a good throttle return mechanism. Last year a 240sx had its throttle stick wide open and plowed into a huge rock at a SCCA autox. For carbureted cars some places may get on your ass about having 2 throttle return springs for redundancy. They may not check this, but be aware.

Make sure your battery is tied down with a solid mount and cant be moved, no bungee cords.

Check wheel bearings and suspension for any large amount of play or looseness.

Service your brakes if you have to, they usually check to make sure your brake pedal isnt too loose.

• Like 1

Tech isnt a big deal as long as you havent done anything really stupid. Any car thats safe to run on the street can autocross.

Make sure you have all your wheel studs are in good shape and you have all your lug nuts in place. I've seen 2 cars now loose a wheel and come to a grinding stop on the course. Its not fun for anyone to wait for your ass to get towed off the track but people WILL laugh at your wheel running off into the sunset....

Make sure you have a good throttle return mechanism. Last year a 240sx had its throttle stick wide open and plowed into a huge rock at a SCCA autox. For carbureted cars some places may get on your ass about having 2 throttle return springs for redundancy. They may not check this, but be aware.

Make sure your battery is tied down with a solid mount and cant be moved, no bungee cords.

Check wheel bearings and suspension for any large amount of play or looseness.

Service your brakes if you have to, they usually check to make sure your brake pedal isnt too loose.

Thank you very much! HELPFULL!

If bungee cords were factory, I'd give them a big stupid award. When I was 18, I almost lost my eye to a bungee cord. Four stitches right in the corner. Never again have I used one. Not even vaguely. You won't find a single one in the garage, house, or cars. Ratchet straps only!

Yeah, it wasn't funny when it happened. I remember the sound, and opening my eye and realizing I could still see, but everything was red. Then Mike Vigg took me down to the urgent care. Not very fun.

As far as autocross, here's what to expect. It's funny how much different the 510 handles now, granted that was on absolute shit tires. It may take a second to finish processing on youtube. Just goes to show you, you don't need power to do well at autocross! Yello620 beat me in that event due to his superior driving and probably better tires too.