pic's of your 1200

Icehouse

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That thing is minty, you should bring it out to the North end meet and greet. See thread under the events title. How do you plan to lower it? Cut springs and blocks?

Not set on it yet but looking at shortening the struts, trimmed springs, & playing with the rear spring pack or blocks. I'm more into a nice ride than handling.  I'll check out the meet and greet info. Thanks

You have access to a welder? I would love to get in on the strut tube shortening party as I am in need of some drop my self. What inserts have you decided on and will you use collars or sleeves. I have 2" blocks for the rear, hope it will give me enough.

I have a MIG. Going to pull the strut apart and see what I see. Sounds like a Rabbit insert works so maybe the smart thing is to shorten the strut housing and go that route. Should be lots on the web about it. But this is all after I get it running better. I'd be happy to help you but only after I know what works, don't want to screw up two cars.

I have a MIG. Going to pull the strut apart and see what I see. Sounds like a Rabbit insert works so maybe the smart thing is to shorten the strut housing and go that route. Should be lots on the web about it. But this is all after I get it running better

You can shorten with MR2 or Rabbit inserts. The first is 1.5in shorter and the second is 2.5in shorter I believe. Depends on how low you want to go. 

If the car has stock struts, I'm betting the Rabbit/MR2 inserts don't fit.  1200s have smaller diameter strut tubes than the other Datsuns, and as such inserts are tough to find for it.

FWIW, if you can find a '79-83 210 (not B210) in the junkyard, you can use the struts, lower control arms, TC rods, and tie rods in the 1200. As a complete assembly, it all bolts straight into the 1200. Then if you shorten the 210 struts to MR2/Rabbit length you'd be in business. 

Plus you'd be upgrading the brakes (and everything else) at the same time. And it gives you the option of swapping to 280ZX struts later on as well.   :thumbup:

ae86 corolla inserts fit as do rabbit and aw111 mr2 inserts, all 1.5" (1200 stock)  instead of the 2" of the 210, and it all depends on what size wheels you want to run. 13" stick with the 1200 strut and modify, then do the Klotz brake upgrade still can use the 13" wheels.

ae86 corolla inserts fit as do rabbit and aw111 mr2 inserts, all 1.5" (1200 stock)  instead of the 2" of the 210, and it all depends on what size wheels you want to run. 13" stick with the 1200 strut and modify, then do the Klotz brake upgrade still can use the 13" wheels.

You can still use 13s with the 210 brakes as well.   ;)

And I believe Mr. Klotz says they fit most 13" wheels, but not all. 

i believe it has only been the eight spoke western wheel in a 13" or the stock 13" steel that hasn't worked,(they can correct if wrong) and you mentioned about upgrading to the 280zx strut, which you would need a larger than 13" wheel, so that is why i mentioned about if wheel size is important, and they want to stick to 13" wheels, then i would keep with the 1200 strut. sorry if i was misleading

I would keep the 1200 strut in any case. You can put the 280ZX 258mm disc brakes on it and it will fit under some 13" alloy wheels. You can find all kinds of inserts that work with the stock 1200 struts. And it is lighter than the larger diameter struts.

But if you want to keep the 12" wheels, stay with the 1200 brakes.

Wow, this is all great info. For now the plan is to work with the 1200 struts etc. to keep from adding any more weight than I have to. The stock 1200 stuff is so light it is hard to upgrade any thing with out adding weight. Just going away from the stock wheel and tire adds a lot of un-sprung weight (kind of the opposite of modifying an American car of this area). Of course I'm talking easy affordable upgrades. I'm sure there is carbon fiber, titanium, & moon rocks etc. but Red Bull hasn't signed on as a sponsor yet.

We're going to have to move this under a new topic or gets some pics soon, Thanks for the info guys!