Devil In A Blue Dress

Well hello Ratsuners! I have been lurking around the forum for some time now and I decided its finally time to post my project thread and cut my teeth on some in-depth work! I picked up my first Datsun in March of 09: 1970 2 door 510. I found it on C.L. down in Spanaway. I had never TOUCHED a car before but had been lusting after a 510 for years... I am a VERY electrical/mechanical/Tech minded guy as I work with building custom high thoughtput/bandwidth solid state hard drives & Number crunching P.C's & also Design/Build Computer automated scenery & winching system for theatrical productions. Like I said though I have never tackled the automobile before:eek:

So I picked up my dime and drove her home: No mirrors, No turn signals, No windows, No interior (besides seats), The kid told me it had a l20b swap and that everything was mechanically solid. I brought a friend who new a thing or two about cars and he liked it, So I picked it up. First thing: Windows! The guy had all the windows, they just were not installed and he didn't have any of the gaskets.... $300.00 and a few weeks later I have all my windows installed and looking great! Extra thanks to Andrews Auto Glass in Everett, I could only find my rear window seal with the trim insert and I didnt want to go chrome so they fabbed me up a piece of black plastic to fit in the channel and it looks great! Every singles piece of weatherstripping gasket was missing from the car as well so I set out purchasing those (thanks to the Ratsuneers who pointed me in the right direction) With That Done I started Looking into The engine as I knew something was up with it! I had some vapor lock issues and general fuel flow problems so I decided to go with a external electric fuel pump and it solved my problems but wasn't pretty! Then my Alternator died and I'm sure a few of you remember the alternator dying thread http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=13970 and its wiring craziness! Well with some gumption and stubbornness, Got it going again (Special thanks to Zdave) I didnt ALOT of other small modifications to the dime that I wont get into However by now I have:

1:Rebuilt read drum breaks to perfection (for drums!)

2:Rebuilt front disks and cleaned/painted with new pads (allthough I still dont know what actual breaks they are:confused:)http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=13920

3: Complete tear down on re-build of my dual SU carbs

4: Checked, Torqued, Lock-tighted and/or put nylocks on just about every bold on the chassis/driveline/suspension

5: Installed 2"1/2 Exhaust line & glass pack from the collector to the back

6: New 13" diameter 7" wide wheels and Tires (that I need to change out again for winter weather)

Well then after a while of driving the dime it started to develop a 'Clutch Shudder' http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=14595

Thanks to this forum and the 'Search Function!' I was able to figure out what the problem was! I didn't have the money or time to fix it right away so I kept driving (gently) but then it has turned into slippage! So now I'm checking into clutch parts and learning/researching all that I can before jumping into that! So while the car is down I decided to get into my major project and that is: re-wiring the entire dime! also removing everything possible in the engine bay (without too much time) and cleaning/prepping my Engine and Bay for a decent clean look! Well enough with the talk, how about some pics eh?

Day I bought her:

510%20Front.jpg

Engine at the time, looks pretty but didn't run great:

Engine.jpg

First Vapor Lock Fix:

Engine5.jpg

Engine1.jpg

Now onto the major work, before anything:

Car02.jpg

After stripping all electrics:

Car03.jpg

All electrics and raditor, Alt, and other easily removed parts:

Car08.jpg

Prepped for the wash:

Car09.jpg

after The Wash:

Car10.jpg

Car12.jpg

Car15.jpg

Well I am no Datsun and/or car genius and so I have been working tooth and nail to figure out what I have in the dime and the kid I bought it from doesnt respond to emails anymore! he told me there was a l20b in it and I guess I just didn't know better, However After asking some question on here and the pressure wash removed the 15 layers of grease on the engine I think he didnt know what he was talking about! my timing cover does NOT have two bolts right on top of each other:

Car16.jpg

Car22.jpg

Car23.jpg

My engine and head have VERY hard to read if at all numbers on them:

Car17.jpg

Car18.jpg

Car19.jpg

I have a dogleg 5 speed and so I was HOPING my engine was out of late 70's 200sx however with the obvious evidence that I don't have a l20b I have no IDEA! what my various parts are from (Talk about a blessing and a curse that Datsun stuff is interchangeable) I CANNOT find NE1 who knows what front disks I have and The engine & head are going to be impossible to figure out without opening it up (which I'm not ready for just yet) The electrical for the dime is going to be no problem as I have unlimited access to all types of wire and I am going to wire the entire car with min 14AWG wire and in a way that will seem very um ah..... WEIRD! However I understand I'm not doing things the 'RIGHT or OFFICIAL way' I am a inventor/tinker and LOVE my dime and being able to make it my own! Anyway this first project thread is getting a bit long and I will just say, Thanks to all the help on this forum and serious props to all the hardcore inventive Ratsuneers! and here are a few more pics of the whole beast just to give you an idea of whats going on!

Car20.jpg

Car24.jpg

First Basic Spray of the Engine Bay:

Car27.jpg

Car29.jpg

Car32.jpg

Misc Shots of the Dime:

Car01.jpg

Car46.jpg

Car41.jpg

Car44.jpg

Car39.jpg

Any Info/Idea's/Help on Identification would be GREATLY appreciated! And if NE1 needs any help with PC's or other crazy electrical projects please feel free to ask! I am all about information sharing :) -L1

P.S. If NE1 is interested in my old relays/wiring misc just let me know as i have no use for them and I'm sure they most likely work fine! I'm not interested in making any money on them so it would just be be S/H cost 4U!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The head ID is covered by the shadow from the #1 plug. Expect a W-53 or A-87.

Car18.jpg

The engine size is L 18.

Car17.jpg

You have a missing top timing cover bolt here:

Car22.jpg

You have a '79 or '80 'matchbox' distributor so no need for that red MSG thingie. Sell it and use the money for something else.

You could re-locate your fuel pump lower as close to tank level as you can to help the pump.

Car02.jpg

Nice car. Very nice car.

Edited by datzenmike

More Head Pics:

Car47.jpg

Car48.jpg

Datzenmike: I plan to move the fuel pump to the trunk , just haven’t had the gusto/time yet! Now its time!

With the Matchbox dizzy you don’t need any electronic ignition? just strait wiring to the Dizzy? I plan to use BARE minimum wiring with BARE minimum control from battery/alt to Dizzy.... So I am not sure what to use as wiring without the MSD ignition.... I'm not asking for a 'how to" as my wiring will be very user specific and unique just curious if the MSD box is totally superfluous... and as for my missing timing cover bolt it is the one that holds the Alt bracket on... I'm more curious as to the other bolts missing on the water pump and don’t get me started on missing bolts period! my whole clutch/tranny was help on by 1 big bolt! EVERY SINGLE other bolt on the engine & body was loose/missing/rusted out! Whomever did the bodywork put some time in, and then got LAZY! and/or jump plain quit! Thanks for the comments/info I always value your input Ratking!

Ok Well I wanted to post some picks before I passed out! Spent the last couple days spraying the engine bay, Pulling my first tranny out, and dismantling the clutch, w00t!

Prepped for spillway paint:

Car70.jpg

spraying the engine bay:

Car77.jpg

After the spray:

Car81.jpg

prepped for dropping tranny:

Car86.jpg

My good friend Matt undoing some tranny bolts:

Car97.jpg

The trannys out!:

Car150.jpg

Car154.jpg

Car156.jpg

Car162.jpg

Car164.jpg

Car165.jpg

Car166.jpg

Clutch is apart:

Car123.jpg

Car124.jpg

do you have a multi meter?

check for ohms.

put it in revers and check to see which one gives you a reading of 0 ohms[or very close too]

some meters have a beep continuity function.

i have all broken switches on my dogleg or i would tell you which one to use.i never even tried them

mine worked untill i put the dog leg in and dont know which fucking plug works them

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transNAPSdoglegmaybe80-81hl510th-1.jpg[/img]"]transNAPSdoglegmaybe80-81hl510th-1.jpg

Bonvo yours should look like this one above. If you have two switches they are neutral switch (top) and reverse switch. (lower) If your tranny has three switches it's neutral switch (top), reverse switch (middle) and top gear switch. (bottom)

Ok well I posted my update pics last night but here is the story to go with it!

I finished spraying the engine bay and it looks great and it tough as hell! I used some paint called "appliance epoxy" and the stuff is awesome! even trying to scratch it with a metal tool is hard! I then enlisted some help to pull my tranny out and that was a f'ing mission! the drive line, crossmember, & bolts all came out no prob. However after that I had the tranny support with my floor jack and tried to back it out of the engine but it sure as shit was a bitch to work the tranny/jack out together and keep it level. I didnt know how much it weighed so I was very nervous about it dropping on me and I ended up dropping a rope through the shift level hole and running it around the tranny and had a friend use that to pull up and jocky it out... once it came out, Shit! a dogleg must weigh like 75lbs at most! I shoulda just gotten right under it and man-handled it out! After that I dismantled the clutch and mesured/checked out the parts. it actually didnt look to bad but it very seriously was slipping...

I have now scrubbed and painted my tranny and it looks great! My flywheel didnt look bad ether and is conformation that I dont have the l20b as it has a 5 bolt pattern. Question: I would still love to throw the roadster clutch in my dime can the roadster pressure plate work with a l18 flywheel? Im getting my flywheel resurfaced now but the pressure plate I had in there didnt look to bad... still I wouldnt mind replacing it too or can it be resurfaced? or does a pressure plate allways come with a roadster clutch kit? Im a little over my head here in clutch land but shit thats how you learn eh? Also does somebody had a easy link to the roadster clutch kit to buy? Datzenmike, you posted a link back to the same rockauto page I linked to for 200sx clutch kits but I'm not sure which one was the actual one.... I found the actual Nissan part number and the roadster clutch disk was for sale standalone from Nissanparts but was grossly expensive! (same price as the whole kit from rockauto) After I get the kit I sure wouldnt mind a local to just take a look before I reassembled the whole thing, free beer.... :cool: As for my electrical. I have started routing the new wire looms through the body of her for the tail lights and mounting my power distro blocks. Bonvo & Datzenmike: you said that I dont need any electronic ignition with a matchbox dizzy. Im curious as to the wiring then... I altered this diagram to show BARE minimum wiring just to run the engine:

MSD1.jpg

So without the MSD box what controls the coil? I'm talking serious bare min to run the engine, no regulator, no alternator, Ect, Ect... I wont end up this way but I would like to learn about wiring possibilities and theory.

My plans for this baby are:

1. Rebuild clutch & restore tranny

2. Clean & paint all removed engine parts removed

3. Re-wire entire car with all 14+ awg wire

4. replace all fuel line with stainless, add pressure gauge & return fuel line

5. finish fabbing dash with all new (quality) gauges and install a custom in dash pc for music and general geekdom!

6. Cut/replace trunk pan install 2 battery bays

7. Fab up a custom surge tank & reserve fuel tank with multiple pump system.

8. clean/seal interior install carpet and custom interior lighting.

9. Recover financially!

10. Go to Canby in 2010 :D

Wolfman: Awesome to finaly figure out who you are on here! If your in Everett stop on by the performing arts center, I'm there pretty much 24/7 working on the dime!

And an extra thanks to everybody's nice comments and help figuring this Frankenstein out!